Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCM VIR HPDE June 28-29, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Keep in mind, there's 2 advance groups, and 3 beginning groups with NCM, so the focus is on the teaching drivers who have limited experience.

IMHO, the NCM could use the North Course to get a lot of benefit for the students, but it's hard not to like full throttle all the way up the straight to turn 14, which, BTW the full lenght straight isn't available on the Grand Course.
North Course is a GREAT circuit for drivers with limited experience - the "Stevie Wonders" - blind climbing esses are a BLAST! Personally, I like to toss out 2nd half of long back straight in favor of the inside 'patriot' section, but I understand many probably like to see how fast they can go in the straights, etc.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 07-05-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Will the NCM sponsor an event on the VIR Grand Course vs. Full Course in the near future? IMHO, this 4.2 mile circuit is a much more rewarding experience to run for a two day event.
NO ABSOLUTELY NOT do grande Course. There is a greater chance of convincing Car & Driver Mag to use Full course, then the NCM does Grande Course.

Grande course is for Magazines and a few car clubs who need the income of 50 plus cars on track per run group.

VIR Full has enough corners to master, then Grande course has too many corners, plus fewer passing zones, which means more trains. much longer trains

No one races grande Course. Full course is the race course best school learning course

If we ever go to a three day school, then day one would be split. North and South course, then switch at noon. then days 2 and 3 full course.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-05-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:43 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Will the NCM sponsor an event on the VIR Grand Course vs. Full Course in the near future? IMHO, this 4.2 mile circuit is a much more rewarding experience to run for a two day event.

Here's a short video of a friend of mine chasing me in his C6 Z06 during the Mazda Drivers event a few weeks ago. I'm in my dark grey Corvette C5.

NOTE: Don't be too critical since it's been a year since I was on a road course and was having a problem with the rear coilovers , so I'm not running as fast as I would like.
Great Video, it showed me some of the lines I'll need in Aug. I've run Full Course many times and South Course a few times but never the Grand Course.

TrackDaze is doing an event Aug 26/27, they will be running Grand Course on day1 Aug 26 and Full Course on day2 Aug 27, I'm signed up for my first time on the Grand Course.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Cool! I'll see you there. Mike
Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by USA1C5
TrackDaze is doing an event Aug 26/27, they will be running Grand Course on day1 Aug 26 and Full Course on day2 Aug 27, I'm signed up for my first time on the Grand Course.
I'll be there - still waiting for Mazda Drivers to let me know if I can instruct before I drop the cash for adding the weekend.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys! Just wanted to post up letting everyone know that our NCM @ VIR gallery is up here on our website:

NCM@VIR Gallery

We traveled all the way from Salt Lake to this event and had BLAST! It was great meeting a lot of our east coast customers, as it isn't very often we get to take the time to travel that far east! Many thanks to everyone involved in the event for all of the great work that was done. It was a VERY smooth event and everything was spot-on! Also thanks to everyone who took the time to come up and talk to us about Corvette suspension. We really appreciate it and it made it all worth it to meet everyone.

Our gallery has a more comprehensive collection of photos but here are just a couple to show a lot of the participants!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

The vendors' presence really makes this event go over the top! I have to thank Scott with Callaway performance products for helping me diagnose a 'check engine light'. Even though the guys were validating a few of their products on the track, Scott took the time to hook up his Tech 2 for me to use on a couple of laps to ascertain the problem since I had earlier had an MAF sensor code. He had the patience of a saint and made it clear that he wanted to put my mind at ease with the trouble code. I really had only a cooling fan relay blip that I corrected easily. BTW, their products are top notch, too. The honker intake gave my stock (then) '03 Z06 an increase of 13HP and 11Torque; installed while on the dyno after initial baseline run back in 2007. Thanks a bunch Scott. I won't forget the help you gave.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:39 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Here are a few pics I took

First things first. it was HOT. DAMN HOT

Paddock View

Hot Pits

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-14-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:43 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

a few areodynamic aids

Think I saw more wings on vettes then on flock geese that flow over
Old 07-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tom great pics!

Thanks for taking the time to post them. I brought my camera with and did not take one pic this year. Too busy playing substitute right seat rider! Busy, but had a blast! Felt like I played a different position every inning!

Mike
Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Actually it was a 71 with 500+hp 454, a big handfull on the track. No nanny's, traction control etc.

I had the opportunity to be the instructor in the right seat of this '71'. It was a fun ride but if you notice there is no right side rear view mirror for this car. I could not tell when anyone was coming up from behind. I kept nagging my student with "let me know when anyone was behind us". He did good though, he kept me informed, the best I could tell. I made sure he watched his mirrors.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:44 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I have two short videos, one of the Red Group going out on track and one of the Red group flying by the S/F flag tower.

We get those together in a day or two and post them
Old 07-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5
Actually it was a 71 with 500+hp 454, a big handfull on the track. No nanny's, traction control etc.

I had the opportunity to be the instructor in the right seat of this '71'. It was a fun ride but if you notice there is no right side rear view mirror for this car. I could not tell when anyone was coming up from behind. I kept nagging my student with "let me know when anyone was behind us". He did good though, he kept me informed, the best I could tell. I made sure he watched his mirrors.
Why not turn the inside rearview mirror so you could use it? I do that frequently.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Falcon
Why not turn the inside rearview mirror so you could use it? I do that frequently.
I thought about that but I didn't want to take any mirrors away from student. I did check my visor hoping for a vanity mirror I could use, but none there.

Quick Reply: NCM VIR HPDE June 28-29, 2010