Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual Tire Wear After HPDE Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice times even with crappy tires .... you will go much faster with good rubber .... we need to get together ... I live close to you
Thank you ! Yeah I live right across the freeway. Ill pm ya my number we can talk cars and have a few cold ones. Slater 50/50's has a lot of nice brew and is about 200 feet from my house
Old 03-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Richor
Thanks for all the responses guys. I did not get a chance to get under the car today but I ran my finger under the fender and noticed that the edge of the fender liner on that side felt rough and dilapidated, I then proceeded to check the other fender liners and the edges were smooth. I am pretty sure that was the issue, the fender liner on all the fenders stick out a little. I am going to remove the wheel this weekend and do a little trimming or stapling to make sure it does not rub anymore providing that I am correct and that is infact the problem.

If that is the issue, which im sure it is, I shouldnt have an issue running the tires right? As long as it does not rub/cut anymore I think they will be fine., Opinions?

Oh and Oli, the alignment settings are working amazing. Check out the videos on the wsir thread in socal section. Ran a 1:39:6 bone stock ls2 c6 and as you can see above crappy 300 t.w tires,.
I seem to remember your car looks lowered and little gap from tire to fender. So I would not be suprised if you were rubbing as you take turn 2 and 4 pretty agressively and load that front driver tire.

DH
Old 03-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

^ thats gotta be what it is, its not rubbing the fender at all just the liner a wee little bit. I think a staple gun will work in getting the liner more firmly secured. Im sure the tire will be fine now that we know the tire isnt separating or chunking.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,946 Likes on 5,343 Posts

Even if it was chunking I wouldn't worry about it. I have had newer tires chunk after a couple of 1 minute runs at an autocross. If the tires aren't throwing sparks I run them. I have a Z06 Rear EMT that after 6 autocrosses and 10 track days is starting to chunk a little on the outside edge and I will use it till the tire cords.

Bill
Old 03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

^ thanks for the info. I plan on still running them and am pretty sure its just the fender liner
Old 03-15-2010, 12:30 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

^ thats gotta be what it is, its not rubbing the fender at all just the liner a wee little bit. I think a staple gun will work in getting the liner more firmly secured. Im sure the tire will be fine now that we know the tire isnt separating or chunking.
I am skeptical that this is caused by the fender liner. I had tires rubbing fender liners due to suspension travel at a track event when I was running Toyo R888s. Those are much softer rubber than the KDWs and the fender liner melts much more quickly than the tire rubber when the two meet. In fact, the plastic fender liner melted ONTO the tire and the tire was unaffected. You could just peel the plastic bits off the tire in about 1" strips.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

^ that should be covered by the tire company right? is that normal?
You took a brick set of street tires to WS and you would expect BFG to make up for your mistake?

You said it yourself, get some real tires if you want to play on the track.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I did not say I expect BFG to make up anything. I was just asking for opinions regarding the wear. It turns out it is the fender liner. I was just making sure the tread was not separating and if it was YES I do expect bfg to take care of it. relax buddy
Old 04-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I finally pulled the wheel and checked the issue. The wheel was rubbing on the fender liner at speed. I cut part of the liner out and fixed the problem
Old 04-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally pulled the wheel and checked the issue. The wheel was rubbing on the fender liner at speed. I cut part of the liner out and fixed the problem
Red herring. You didn't fix squat. You may very well be rubbing the liner, but it had nothing to do with the chunking with these tires.

Chunking or tread seperation, if you're running a 300 TW tire and they fall apart, that's your problem, not BFG's.

Listen and learn fast, or ignore and learn slow. I like to change it up sometimes myself. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Unusual Tire Wear After HPDE Pics Inside