Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for guys who record track videos - (VIR clip also)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
m3to335
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for guys who record track videos - (VIR clip also)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTNLwoskdAo

In the past I've had good luck with a suction cup type (3point) mount for my windshield. Wind noise is low and there is nearly 0 vibration.

I threw raceseats/harness & a hardbar in with a nice short aluminum mount. The recordings arent nearly as good as before. My panasonic DMC-ZS3 has wind cut and stabilitzation but apparently its not enough under these conditions!

Is there some sort of magical seceret to cut back on the wind noise and stabilize the camera at 100~150mph when mounting to a hardbar? I even tried sliding it near the passanger seat to reduce on the harmonics of the car and block it from the direct wind. (that video is above.) Visually its not so noticeable in low-res. Crank it to 720 full screen and its evident at high speed.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Need to see a picture of your current set up.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

connect external microphone and put it below the window line (i.e. on the side of the pass seat). This should eliminate a lot of wind noise.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by m3to335

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTNLwoskdAo

In the past I've had good luck with a suction cup type (3point) mount for my windshield. Wind noise is low and there is nearly 0 vibration.

I threw raceseats/harness & a hardbar in with a nice short aluminum mount. The recordings arent nearly as good as before. My panasonic DMC-ZS3 has wind cut and stabilitzation but apparently its not enough under these conditions!

Is there some sort of magical seceret to cut back on the wind noise and stabilize the camera at 100~150mph when mounting to a hardbar? I even tried sliding it near the passanger seat to reduce on the harmonics of the car and block it from the direct wind. (that video is above.) Visually its not so noticeable in low-res. Crank it to 720 full screen and its evident at high speed.
i kinda like it! makes you feel like your going fast ! try taping a small foam rubber over mic hole and using a softer rubber base under the camera. also turn off auto focus and turn down the white settings. try using different presets in the camera. the sport setting might be good. trial and error are your friends! G/L nice driving
Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

as far as "whiteout", I have the same problem with my setup - there is too much black interior in the picture and camera autobalances the brightness. if you can change FOV, turn off autobalancing the brightness/colors or move camera close, it will help a lot.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 PM
m3to335
Pro

Originally Posted by longdaddy
connect external microphone and put it below the window line (i.e. on the side of the pass seat). This should eliminate a lot of wind noise.
Thats a great idea. I will do that.

Originally Posted by rustyguns
i kinda like it! makes you feel like your going fast ! try taping a small foam rubber over mic hole and using a softer rubber base under the camera. also turn off auto focus and turn down the white settings. try using different presets in the camera. the sport setting might be good. trial and error are your friends! G/L nice driving
But I am going fast As far as the rubber base is concerned, I tried that in the past without much success. Autofocus was something I considered but haven't tried yet. Thats probobly a good idea though

Originally Posted by longdaddy
as far as "whiteout", I have the same problem with my setup - there is too much black interior in the picture and camera autobalances the brightness. if you can change FOV, turn off autobalancing the brightness/colors or move camera close, it will help a lot.
Your right, moving it close has worked with the suction mount. What's FOV?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:05 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I run a panasonic, on a roll bar, and all I do is put painters tape over the mic and it seems to work well

http://www.youtube.com/user/PAZ06200.../3/5EAc0cDaKaI
Old 03-16-2010, 10:37 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PA Z06
I run a panasonic, on a roll bar, and all I do is put painters tape over the mic and it seems to work well

http://www.youtube.com/user/PAZ06200.../3/5EAc0cDaKaI
DAMN! anyone you did not pass!

EXCELLENT VIDEO

WHAT ARE YOUR SETTINGS IN YOUR CAMERA
Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Your right, moving it close has worked with the suction mount. What's FOV?
field of view. essentially you want the camera to film as little of your interior as possible
Old 03-16-2010, 10:49 PM
ace996
Pro

I'm willing to bet it's your mount. Somehow, there is movement and a different frequency between the car/bar and your camera.

And turn off the stabilization...most camera stabilization cannot keep pace and it causes more issue than it's worth.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by PA Z06

Also a wide angle lens will make a world of difference.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

put a piece of masking tape or blue painters tape of the camera mic. that cuts down the wind noise
Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

My video cam went bad, so for the Tues session there I used my Canon Coolpix camera mounted on my harness bar. The video was adequate, and I really liked recording straight to sd card, but the wind noise was horrible. Ordered the Aiptek HD w/ wide angle lense to use at VIR next week. I think I will try to find the remote mic addon. Strangely, the Cool Pix picture went blank about 15 seconds before I spun in turn 4. Half way thru the second 360, the video reappeared. During the "blackout" there was still sound, just no video - odd. It was the only time in 2 hrs of recording that that happened. Wife says that if I looked at my watch, it probably had stopped also (she thinks car is cursed).
Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
DAMN! anyone you did not pass!

EXCELLENT VIDEO

WHAT ARE YOUR SETTINGS IN YOUR CAMERA
It was an intermediate group, with lower hp cars, so I looked faster than I am
But towards the end a newer m3 on slicks and motions pass's and then almost gos off track.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Is there some sort of magical seceret to cut back on the wind noise and stabilize the camera at 100~150mph when mounting to a hardbar?
I can't help with the camera stabilization because I have a bitch of a time with it myself. However, my hearing is very sharp, and I hear 3 things in your video that you want to deal with:
  1. Wind noise
  2. Engine noise
  3. Sound Clipping
Clearly you want to minimize #1 while maximizing #2. Unfortunately, #3 is the bitch. I'll 'splain. Most consumer level cameras just can't really handle the volume input from track running. Some do, but most can't. What you end up getting is clipping. It sounds almost like wind noise or static, but it isn't.

Listen carefully right when your video starts off. You can hear the wind whistling by the camera. As you round the first corner, you can barely hear the engine start to rev. The faster you start moving, the louder the third noise sounds. That third noise is the system clipping the sound.

How to fix? Well, you can experiment with external microphone placement. Some of the best spots I've heard are actually buried under the carpet in the rear hatch.

My solution is a second device. I use a Roland R-09 digital sound recorder. It has the apropos circuitry to deal with the sheer volume of... noise. I keep it in my glove box, with its external mic sitting inside the center console. When I start camera and Roland recording, I loudly clap my hands once, on camera, so that I have a sync marker. When I get home later, I spend the time and merge the two together. It does take a bit of time, but it's actually pretty fun to do.

Plenty of old examples here: http://gallery.lateapex.net/main.php/v/movies/

jas

Get notified of new replies

To Question for guys who record track videos - (VIR clip also)

Quick Reply: Question for guys who record track videos - (VIR clip also)