Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:40 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Which brake pads?

2008 C6 with Z51 front sway and Z06 rear bar with Z06 shocks. Not really a daily driver anymore, just some street use and mainly autocross.

Was looking at some Hawk HPS, and some Akebono Ceramic.

Want minimum dusting, but I am more worried about solid braking/decent rotor life.

Got an PCA autocross event coming up in June.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:04 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by KBoltz
2008 C6 with Z51 front sway and Z06 rear bar with Z06 shocks. Not really a daily driver anymore, just some street use and mainly autocross.

Want minimum dusting, but I am more worried about solid braking/decent rotor life.

DTC-70s
PFC-01s
Cobalt XR-2s
Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Kenny,
I had Hawk HP-Plus on my C5.
They were great for Both AutoX and Track.
But they did squeal somewhat on the street, and they did dust a bit.

Now I have Hawk HP-S on the C6.
They are great for Autox (as you know), and great on the street,
with no squeal and hardly any dust.
But really no good for Track.

Gary
Old 04-27-2010, 07:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by KBoltz

Minimum dusting and solid braking is an oxymoron

those two do not exist together

Most ceramic brake pads are not for track use, except the Carbotech compounds, which may fit what you are looking for.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Carbotech™ AX6™ (1106™)
The AX6™ takes the place of the Panther Plus™ compound that was so successful. AX6™ was specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range (50°F to 1150°F +). Advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial “bite”, high coefficient of friction, and very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures, excellent cold stopping power, and non corrosive dust. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross & AX6™ has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its fantastic bite, release & modulation. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech doesn’t recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT a race compound, and should not be used as such. AX6™ shouldn’t be used by any intermediate or advanced track day drivers, and should not be used with “R” compound tires (racing tires).
Old 04-27-2010, 10:29 AM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CL Brakes RC5+. They are perfect for your application:
Front= http://www.essexparts.com/shop/brake...e-pads-91.html

Rear= http://www.essexparts.com/shop/brake...e-pads-90.html

They have fantastic cold bite, and are perfect for autoX because they are sintered metal...you don't need to warm them up to get performance out of them. You can read about the technology here: http://www.essexparts.com/brake-pads/cl-brakes. The dust is low, and very little noise as well. You could get some track duty out of them as well. I recently had an evo customer run them on his 400whp, 3000lb+ evo at Road America. You can see his feedback here (scroll to bottom of page): http://www.essexparts.com/brake-pads...s/cl-customers

They initially appear expensive vs. some of the alternatives, but you are going to get FAR more wear and performance out of these vs. something like the HPS.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
svcjmo
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

With 10 years national level AX experience in C5s..you can't beat HAWK hp plus for stopping and price. You will get dust.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:09 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

How bout I don't tell you what to get - but where to get!

Separate the track use from the street/autox - the usage is apples/oranges.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 PM
NewC6Toy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched from Hawk HP-Plus to Carbotech a while back. I liked the feel better (purely opinion), but also noticed much longer life for the brake disks. Still a lot of dust, but ceramic dust seems easier to clean. And as my track day addiction has grown, I've gone from Panther Plus to XP-8 and XP-10.

So as an opinion from someone not trying to sell you anything, at least give the Carbotechs a shot....

Get notified of new replies

To Which brake pads?

Quick Reply: Which brake pads?