Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Tier Gasolines - Sunoco Not Top tier?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

One can still buy Sunoco 100 octane at a few stations through out the county

or Spirit 100 octane race fuel.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The EPA does have a say in octane levels. 93 available in Arkansas, 91 in Oklahoma.
It has to do with air quality sampling. I fill my extra gas jugs just before going across the line.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 AM
rwilkins
Racer

Default Sea Foam

I use Sunoco 93 on the corner near my house. Along with all the doubt of gasoline quality and my gas gauge sticking, I'll be using a pint of Sea Foam once in a while. Guys at my local NAPA swear by it. They put it in gas motor they have....can't put too much in, they say. Seems to me, they are unbiased, so that's what I'll be doing as well. From my C5 to me lawn mower...............what say you?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:22 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Keep in mind that the sign on the pump has almost nothing to do with who refines the gasoline. Sunoco for instance has a lot of stations in Florida but their refinery is in Philly. You actually think we get that product in Florida?
Richard Newton
Speed TV Blog
Wasn't always that way (at least in NJ). Sunoco used to deliver ONLY from their own refinery and in their own tankers.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM
MyOwn69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Wasn't always that way (at least in NJ). Sunoco used to deliver ONLY from their own refinery and in their own tankers.
I'm afraid that's also from the time when one station would always cut their price 1 or 2 cents JUST to be under the other down the road .
Now, look how many are ALL the same price.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long ago I worked at a refinery as a summer job - it was "enlightening" to see the different trucks fill up there with the same gas; Exxon, Mobil, Texaco, Plateau, Shamrock, etc........ like others have said the base fuel was identical, with the only difference being additives specified by the various purchasers of the fuel.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:55 PM
wacker
Heel & Toe

Default Wouldn't use it

Originally Posted by rwilkins
I use Sunoco 93 on the corner near my house. Along with all the doubt of gasoline quality and my gas gauge sticking, I'll be using a pint of Sea Foam once in a while. Guys at my local NAPA swear by it. They put it in gas motor they have....can't put too much in, they say. Seems to me, they are unbiased, so that's what I'll be doing as well. From my C5 to me lawn mower...............what say you?
I know this thread is old but... In July of 2015 I went to Carlisle, they had a seminar and the subject of fuel additives was brought up. One guy said that he used Sea Foam. The senior tech that was there said NEVER use sea foam. It has corrosive ingredients in it that ruin electronics in the tank.Just putting this out there
Old 01-04-2016, 03:40 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by shakedown067
Correct. Refineries sell to distributers. The distributers then put in the additives that each company requires and deliver to those stations. A big reason Shell and Chevron are typically more expensive as it's extra effort for the distributer.
I sell to the refining industry here in Texas and inside the gates every day. I've never asked who mixes in the additives but I can say that Techron solved an issue I had with a fuel gauge sending unit. Instead of buying a bottle of Techron I just filled up next tank and before 40% ran through it was functioning properly. I read about the Techron additive here on CF so tried it and it worked.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 PM
ROBMARZ
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Z11409
SUNCOR Energy in the list is Sunoco. In Canada it is marketed under the Petro Canada brand. Sunoco is Top Tier.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I wonder if most of the additives are for the normal driver. When we get our cars on track at WOT, that seems to burn all the crap and any build up. Cars run great then

Just about All fuels in the US is at least E10 and up to E15. Stations can have up to E15 without posting a sign about Etoh content.

As I passed through NE, I noticed the pumps there (at the station I was fueling from) carried 87 w/o ethanol, 87 w/ethanol, and 91 octane (w/ethanol). So were the 87s closer in ethanol content than advertised? My pigs all take 91, so moot point for this guy.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:55 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

E10 is bad. E15 is really really bad. None of our cars were ever designed for E15.

We can use E10 and have minimal problems.

Here in FL we're lucky to have Racetrac stations that sell ethanol free gas. The problem is the octane is fairly low (87 Octane).

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 01-05-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

In Metro Detroit it is easy to find out which tank farm the gas comes from, one has 92 octane and the other sells 93 Octane. When I first started using some of the 92 octane, I ran into the fuel gauge problem--showing out of gas. Now I only use the 93 octane and have not had a problem in several years.

An N Gel, you map does not show the Enbridge crude pipeline crossing Michigan at the Straits of Mackinaw and going to Sarnia, Ont.

Quick Reply: Top Tier Gasolines - Sunoco Not Top tier?