Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race car speeds street car safety are most of us crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
With the accidents reported here at driving events seems it is getting out of hand on speed vs safety. I mean no cage is just crazy.

Through no fault of your own you could be spinning and rolling even driving 8/10ths due to dropped fluids, blown tires, mechanical failure, or some idiot next to you.

New ZR-1's modded 427's 600 rwhp is common now where they surpass sister cars that do real racing.

Depending on the stuff designed in a street car is just a fantasy. I see accidents on the street at 50 mph and there are bodies everywhere and fatalities.

How comfortable do you feel?
I feel comfortable, but life is short anyway.

At HDPE's your chances of getting T-boned by another car are less than on the road. A roll cage is protection against another car intruding on your personal space, but not realistic for HDPE's.

I run a FRC with no cage. It has the standard halo and I have added a containment seat, 6 point harness, HANS device, and of course a helmet.

This will protect me from the majority of problems I might face. Nothing is ever certain in life so 'in shallah'.

When I raced wheel to wheel, I had a roll cage. If I race again, I will put a roll cage in this car.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:02 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
it does not quadruple. you add the energy so it is v-squared + v-squared. not (v + v) squared. come on man, math does not get any more basic than this!
As speed doubles, the kinetic energy quadruples. Are you saying this is not true?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When comparing a car into a wall versus two cars into each other,
what happens to M and how does this affect the results, if at all?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:16 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
When comparing a car into a wall versus two cars into each other,
what happens to M and how does this affect the results, if at all?

Personally, with 4 times the energy flying around, I'll take the back seat or maybe strap into the trunk and let the front parts of the car take the first few moments of deflection/deceleration. Mass up front is good!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Hint: with two cars, M increases.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son
As speed doubles, the kinetic energy quadruples. Are you saying this is not true?
my bad I thought you are still talking about wall vs head on.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68sixspeed
Problem is for a dual use car, a cage on the street is dangerous and in many states illegal....
I came to the conclusion that there really wasn't such a thing as a SAFE dual use car.

I now have a race car with a cage that to most is probably overkill, and I have and use every bit of the safety equipment available.

After crashing hard a couple of years ago I realized that I don't bounce that well anymore.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:19 AM
bags142
Pro

you should do whatever you feel you need to do after researching the risks. consult with anyone who depends on you for their financial security as well.
F'em! They can go to work just as I did

Only thing you should ensure is your life insurance, short term, and long term disability cover whatever track event you are in.. IMHO

I disagree, my home track has 150-160mph kink where we lose at least a couple of cars every year. some roll. I know someone who rolled 6 times. He was doing this corner at 160mph. He had a roll bar and walked. Try that with a factory roll hoop and A pillar.
I drive a FRC... and don't see the need to go over 130... but... 130 is still FLYING... but hell, in some cases I may do that on the interstate..along with many other d'bags who may go that fast or faster

Ever seen a car loose control, get t-boned, flipped by another car, and slammed into by another 2 cars at highway speeds? It's the volume of cars that I think level the playing field.. but I am willing to say I may have skewed thinking.

nothing on my commute comes close to that level of risk unless someone if being outright homicidal/suicidal out there.
I don't know where you live, but in atlanta traffic, homicidal is the average mood here. People are on the phone, reading, eating, doing makeup, beating kids, and doing everything but paying attention to driving. And all of this in bumper to bumper 60+mph traffic.

At least on a track, most of the folks are paying attention and trying to pay attention and do things correctly. And those being unsafe should get squared away or shut down. Again, not saying this is always the case, but should be the rule not the exception.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:21 AM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
I came to the conclusion that there really wasn't such a thing as a SAFE dual use car.

I now have a race car with a cage that to most is probably overkill, and I have and use every bit of the safety equipment available.

After crashing hard a couple of years ago I realized that I don't bounce that well anymore.

That may be true... but I will admit that part of the fun for me is driving the car to and (hopefully) from the event... but YMMV
Old 08-04-2010, 03:37 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was an avid AutoXer, and was happy enough with my roll-hoop and 6 point harnesses. Then I did a few track days and got hooked, bad. As such I just had a full cage (T1 "style" with NASCAR bars on both sides), fire suppression system, and legit race seats put into my car (along w/ bolt-in harnesses vs. the "snap in" setup I previously had). Sure, it's not really a street car anymore and that's a bummer... but it's entirely worth it to keep myself safe. I'm ordering a new Helmet (I was using a cheapy ~$100 HJC for AutoX) and a DefNder shortly too.

If I can spend the big coin on a 600 RWHP motor (which I did) I damn well better be ready to spend the money on safety! All together, the cage, seats, harnesses, fire system, new helmet and DefNder are "only" going to add up to around $8k I think. That is honestly not that much money, and I know plenty of people who have spend far more on go-fast parts and won't spend a dime on safety.

-TJ
Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM
I feel comfortable, but life is short anyway.

At HDPE's your chances of getting T-boned by another car are less than on the road. A roll cage is protection against another car intruding on your personal space, but not realistic for HDPE's.

I run a FRC with no cage. It has the standard halo and I have added a containment seat, 6 point harness, HANS device, and of course a helmet.

This will protect me from the majority of problems I might face. Nothing is ever certain in life so 'in shallah'.

When I raced wheel to wheel, I had a roll cage. If I race again, I will put a roll cage in this car.

no clue how you containment seat works with no cage?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Roll cage and a containment seat will help hold your body in place. But a huge hit will still slosh the bodies insides all to pieces. and the internal injuries and bleeding, wont live long.

Do what ever you can to avoid a contact. Spin the car, bump and scrap against the wall to dissipate energy as much as possible vs a solid hit.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-04-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

If it is so safe on track why is a days rack insurance so high? I mean my car cost 1200 a year to insure on the road and probably 300-500 per day on track with a 5000 dollar deductible vs 500 on the street?

Figure all the cars at a track event and all the miles they do then see how many accidents there are. You would never see that many accidents on the street per miles. If you did the roads would be constantly clogged with wreckers. If you think it is safer on track you are just kidding yourself.

Drive around the street at 60 mph with n belt and you may not like it, do 165 with no belt and see how you feel.

If you feel safer on track do you wear a helmet on the street?

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-04-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:48 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Roll cage and a containment seat will help hold your body in place. But a huge hit will still slosh the bodies insides all to pieces. and the internal ingeries and bleeding, wont live long.

Do what ever you can to avoid a contact. Spin the car, bump and scrap against the wall to dissipate energy as much as possible vs a solid hit.
Some have already had huge G load hits and survived or even waked away. Like to know how many G's Sadler just took at Pocono?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 AM
donymo
Intermediate

Just become a waxer!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:25 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by donymo
Just become a waxer!
Never heard of one dying because the pads went out of control and flipped
Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
If it is so safe on track why is a days rack insurance so high? I mean my car cost 1200 a year to insure on the road and probably 300-500 per day on track with a 5000 dollar deductible vs 500 on the street?
John,
You should do some shopping....
The company I use is great and they are far less.
Insurance is for agreed upon value. 30k ('99 C5) on my car was $140ish for the weekend with a $1500 deductible. They insure many sanctioned track days for almost all the clubs in the NE.

Get notified of new replies

To Race car speeds street car safety are most of us crazy?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can end this thread

yes, all of us are crazy. in the end none of this makes any sense from a safety or financial stand point. if it did, it wouldn't be any fun
Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by geerookie
John,
You should do some shopping....
The company I use is great and they are far less.
Insurance is for agreed upon value. 30k ('99 C5) on my car was $140ish for the weekend with a $1500 deductible. They insure many sanctioned track days for almost all the clubs in the NE.
even those rates which are good for a HPDE they are still near .40 a mile with a higher deductible. If I took those rates for my street car it would be 4-5 grand with a deductible 3 times as high. If I stuff my car I'll have to eat it. Worrisome thing is would my health-care eat the personal injury cost? I always say entering the track you came in walking with a undamaged car get yourself out of here the same way.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-04-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I can end this thread

yes, all of us are crazy. in the end none of this makes any sense from a safety or financial stand point. if it did, it wouldn't be any fun
yes but the ones more prepared are less crazy. I put the 4 point bar in my car before my first event in 1999.

Quick Reply: Race car speeds street car safety are most of us crazy?