Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my Rotors still Good for the track??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my Rotors still Good for the track??

I have about 5-6 days of track and 6800 mile of driving on these rotors. Can I continue to use them with the superfical cracks in them...I want to run DTC-60 pads up front and DTC-30 pads in the back on monday for an event....I have new rotors but want to get the most out of the old ones first...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ePwrBofGEw
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Those spider cracks ain't nuthin'; get worried when they get wider and start radiating from the holes. Once that happens, replace.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:30 PM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I have run worse but with HP+ pads. And I would check after each session. And I would bring backup rotor ......

DH
Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Armycop
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I have run worse but with HP+ pads. And I would check after each session. And I would bring backup rotor ......

DH

methinks he'll be bringing those new rotors with him to the track..at least we hope he will.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:45 AM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No Worries

I have a 2005 Z51 with the OEM crossdrilled rotors with HAWK DTC60s up front and HT10s in back, Motul 600 brake fluid, a set of Quantum front brake ducts and DRM stainless steel brake pistons.

with comments above. Here's couple of suggestions to improve cooling off your rotors while you are at the track: drive your cool down lap without touching the brakes; slowly coast up to your parking space and turn the car off without touching brakes; wait 5 minutes after getting out of the car, then move it backwards or forwards to change the position of the rotor away from the caliper (pads and caliper can be a big heat sink for the rotors...) Check rotors front and back before going out on track for your next session.

In any event, because the OEM rotors are not directional, you can take one with you and use it on either side. If you need to replace a rotor, you need bring only a few tools or you can borrow what you need. Here is one of the best tutorials I have seen on how to replace your rotors:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...stall-diy.html

Have fun at the track!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Run'em till they crack then run them one more time.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:17 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

the 60 30 combo may not be the best option run the 60 60s or 70 60s front and rear.

the 60 30 may be way too much front bias
Old 08-19-2010, 07:39 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason
Run'em till they crack then run them one more time.

Always take spares. I replaced 3/4 rotors at a 3-day Summit Point event this summer. You'll know when they crack. You'll have a noticeable vibration during braking.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

or a very LOUD TINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG can be heard throughout the paddock
Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
the 60 30 combo may not be the best option run the 60 60s or 70 60s front and rear.

I'm running aggresive street tires so when I ordered the pads "they" told me 70-60 combo was too aggresive...unless I'm running R compound...
Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Those rotors will be fine. Be sure to cool them down after each run group as detailed above and you will get a lot more life out of them. My conservative rule of thumb for replacement is : 1) If you can run your fingernail across a crack and it is wide enough to catch, it is time to replace 2) if a radiating crack has reached the outside edge of the rotor, replace it. It might not be broken through yet, but it will be very shortly. Rotors are cheap, track time is not. I do not want to lose session time swapping out rotors if I can help it. I am probably more conservative in my replacement than most. I have seen first hand the damage caused by an exploding cracked rotor, it's not pretty and very expensive.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 72Vega
I have a 2005 Z51 with the OEM crossdrilled rotors with HAWK DTC60s up front and HT10s in back, Motul 600 brake fluid, a set of Quantum front brake ducts and DRM stainless steel brake pistons.

with comments above. Here's couple of suggestions to improve cooling off your rotors while you are at the track: drive your cool down lap without touching the brakes; slowly coast up to your parking space and turn the car off without touching brakes; wait 5 minutes after getting out of the car, then move it backwards or forwards to change the position of the rotor away from the caliper (pads and caliper can be a big heat sink for the rotors...) Check rotors front and back before going out on track for your next session.

In any event, because the OEM rotors are not directional, you can take one with you and use it on either side. If you need to replace a rotor, you need bring only a few tools or you can borrow what you need. Here is one of the best tutorials I have seen on how to replace your rotors:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...stall-diy.html

Have fun at the track!

Thanks...I have done everything you have mentioned..with the addition of titanium shims for the brake pads.....thanks for the recommedations..

trapp
Old 08-20-2010, 02:16 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

I see the 70 60 combo recommended often but I rarely see anyone mention using a 70 70 combo on Corvettes. Is this true and, if so, why?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemagoo
I see the 70 60 combo recommended often but I rarely see anyone mention using a 70 70 combo on Corvettes. Is this true and, if so, why?
It probably has more to do personal preference. Using a softer pad in the rear probably is the more conservative set-up as the fronts will lock up first.

I bought some pads from a front runner in T1. They are all DTC-70.

Get notified of new replies

To Are my Rotors still Good for the track??

Quick Reply: Are my Rotors still Good for the track??