Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Seats for Bigger Guys?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:22 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Corbeau A4's standard size (that's all that will fit) in my 1990 C4. I am 6'3", 265lbs, 40 waist. They fit great, feel great, and hold great. I bought mine to lower my seat height a couple of inches below stock so I could drive with the roof on at track day events. My drivers seat (which is really a passanger seat as the A4 mounts opposite to clear the recliner handle) is shaved 1" and has the subbelt cutout for my 5 point harness. Great fit, very comfortable. I have the black fabric, double locking slider and set up for 5 point harness. My car runs the glass top which gives me a couple of inches extra headroom as well.

I can't speak to durability, but I can say new the product is sharp, and the factory is very responsive to questions. Also service was good, they sent me the wrong mountings, and had the right ones to me within 36 hours of being called.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:29 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 18" Kirkey Intermediate Road Race Seats in C6

These are 18" Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seats on Hardbar seat rails with the TeamTech Jet Pilot harnesses. I'm 6'1" 245lbs and these seats are a little roomy in the bottom but are a really nice fit in the shoulders for me. Replacement covers with new foam are relatively cheap, so I can experiment by adding some foam to these covers where I need it.

The Kirkey seat rails are so short there is no way you could use the stock seat studs with those, so buy the Hardbar rails.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 PM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6' 1" 240 Recaro XL fits great for me in my C5.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naschmitz
These are 18" Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seats on Hardbar seat rails
The Kirkey seat rails are so short there is no way you could use the stock seat studs with those, so buy the Hardbar rails.

How much head room did you pick up? Would you recomend a slider mount for ease of enterance/exit? What brand would you use?
This has been a real hard one for me.
I want a good race seat..... I'm about your size and have tried Kirkey's 18" and the fit is the best. I'm just conserned that getting in and out will be a bitch with out a slider mount.

Thanks for the info and pics!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman57
How much head room did you pick up? Would you recomend a slider mount for ease of enterance/exit? What brand would you use?
I want a good race seat..... I'm about your size and have tried Kirkey's 18" and the fit is the best. I'm just conserned that getting in and out will be a bitch with out a slider mount.

If that seat is what fits you then buy it and modify the outside of the seat (the hip/leg support) so entry/exit is easier. The lower you can get the seat the easier it is. The first thing to try is bending the outside of the seat pictured toward the door. This moves it away from the steering wheel and lowers it. If you are still having problems then bend the rib support outwards. Do it in steps so you don't go to far. That is how my Ultrashield seats were modified. Basically, there isn't much difference between the two brands. One comment on the Kirkey. You don't need to buy the more expensive seat with the bracing and mounts on the bottom. To get the seat low you want to side mount it and drilling holes through the leg bolsters so you can mount it to the Hardbar rails will work just fine. Two bolts on each side of the seat will work.

If you are installing in a C6 with side airbags and heated seats the biggest problem with the Hardbar rails is the wiring harness going to the driver's seat. It is larger in diameter than the C5 harness and you will have to work around it as the rails don't fit if you don't do something about it.

Bill
Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

I picked up a ton of head room. With the stock seats I had to have them reclined to make clearance for my helmeted head. With the Kirkey, I have it reclined only one bolt hole and still have three or four more inches of head room. And I could have mounted the seat even lower -- you can probably get to 1" of the floorpan if you want. The seating position is so much lower it doesn't feel like you are driving a Corvette, it feels like you are driving an exotic.

So now my seating position is pretty upright with my knees bent only slightly. This puts the seat pretty far back, so a slider wouldn't necessarily help you enter and exit. The side bolster is the obstacle and some people have bent those to help make it easier. I'm going to leave mine as is and see if I can find a graceful way to get in and out.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are installing in a C6 with side airbags and heated seats the biggest problem with the Hardbar rails is the wiring harness going to the driver's seat. It is larger in diameter than the C5 harness and you will have to work around it as the rails don't fit if you don't do something about it.

Bill
I pulled both the airbag connector and seat power connectors back towards the door sills where they leave the wiring harness. That way the Hardbar rails aren't sitting on any wires. I slit the carpeting as well so I could fold it back and bolt the Hardbar rails directly to the floorpan. The stud extenders are long enough so you dont HAVE to do this, but I just felt better bolting things together without any insulation, carpet, or wiring in between.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

First off thanks to naschmitz and Bill Dearborn for your reply!!!

I have been looking for good info for the BGS... (Big Guys Seat)
I even started a thread a little while back to find more info on what fits and what doesn't with no reply

This is the most good stuff on this subject geared to a C6 !!!!!

I wanted a fiberglass cushie seat.... easy in and out, but come to the reality that's not going to work driving a Vette

Now I can move forward on my track only Z06 C6
Best Regards,
G
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by naschmitz
I pulled both the airbag connector and seat power connectors back towards the door sills where they leave the wiring harness. That way the Hardbar rails aren't sitting on any wires. I slit the carpeting as well so I could fold it back and bolt the Hardbar rails directly to the floorpan. The stud extenders are long enough so you dont HAVE to do this, but I just felt better bolting things together without any insulation, carpet, or wiring in between.
I decided not to slit my carpet and couldn't find a good way to reroute the harnesses around the front of the seat mount. What I did was pull the carpet up and cut the jute backing on the bottom where the harness passes through. This gave me a space for the harness that was a little smaller than the harness diameter. I solved that problem by putting two large washers under each of Gary's Hardbar stud adapters. That brought them just high enough so I could mount the seat solidly. The seat bars actually fit better than they did in my C5 since it rocked back and forth over the C5 harness until I used my Sears 1000 in lb 3/8 impact wrench to tighten the nuts.

Bill
Old 10-22-2010, 04:24 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

First off thanks to naschmitz and Bill Dearborn for your reply!!!

I have been looking for good info for the BGS... (Big Guys Seat)
I even started a thread a little while back to find more info on what fits and what doesn't with no reply

This is the most good stuff on this subject geared to a C6 !!!!!

I wanted a fiberglass cushie seat.... easy in and out, but come to the reality that's not going to work driving a Vette

Now I can move forward on my track only Z06 C6
Best Regards,
G
Glad I could help. I couldn't find many pics of seats installed in a C6 and I was worried that the 18" seats would be too large when I ordered them a few weeks ago from Jegs. I thought if they didn't fit I'd exchange them for 17s.

I did have to shim the hardbar brackets with two washers on the outboard sides because the seat studs are too far inboard. And the shoulder bolster just kisses the door panel when you close it -- I don't think I am going to do anything about that because I am pretty broad shouldered and need the room up high.

But the 18s do fill up the available space. I was glad I could still open the center console and that the shoulder bolsters didn't interfere with that.

Last edited by naschmitz; 10-22-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a big guy myself (5'10" 250 lbs with a 40" waist) and have been looking at seats for my C4. I think I have decided on the Sparco Evo 3 or Evo XL, I believe it's the same seat. The only question I have is will it fit in the car.

From a popular safety gear website:

Evo is good for waist sizes from 30-34"
Evo L is good for waist sizes from 34-38"
Evo XL is good for waist sizes from 38-42"

Will the Evo XL fit in a Corvette? (Particularly a C4)
Old 10-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
I can't say about the C4 but it's to big for the C6!
Measure the floor pan to the inside of the door..... I bet you find it's to wide.
That was one of my choices I wanted to put in the car, but no can do

Good luck on your search.

Last edited by Gman57; 10-23-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-23-2010, 10:47 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
I believe the seat area in the C4 is smaller than the area in a C5 or C6. It may be difficult in a C4.

Here's a picture of the Corbeau FX1 Pro (fits up to a 36" waist) in my C5

Last edited by gmccreary; 10-23-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Racing Seats for Bigger Guys?