Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F/S 2000 C5 NASA ST2 Road Racing Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Damn it, don't tell me it is too cheap. I looked around for a couple weeks trying to come up with a price. Hopefully she pops soon, so I don't have to think about it anymore

Randy
Seems like a great deal and it has all the parts. Reality is people would rather spend $60-100k building their own car that is completely unsorted than pay $35-50k for one that is semi sorted (there is no 100% sorted race car).

I was thinking I would need $50k for mine (after I fixed the nose) and mine doesn't have the trick cheater engine that everyone is trying to come up with just a LPE WC speck 5.7 w/ stock heads and cam detuned to 348 RWHP

BTW it is very sad to see you go, I was hoping to race agaist you this year at Mid Ohio is Sept

Last edited by L98Terror; 10-06-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
I don't think he was saying that, just that NASA should look at both like they do for many other classes
Thanks, Ken. Yes, that is what I was trying to say.

In the SE, we have a bunch of guys that race basically stock old T1 cars in ST2. You fast guys come down and give us the beat down, but we still have fun, on a lower budget.

The car for sale is a great car, and I have no complaints about it. It's just impossible for a stock displacement car to keep up with a car that has the cubic inches that car does.

My goal is to race competitively, while keeping the costs down. We do that with the older stock T1 cars Tm

Tim
Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Timz06
Thanks, Ken. Yes, that is what I was trying to say.

In the SE, we have a bunch of guys that race basically stock old T1 cars in ST2. You fast guys come down and give us the beat down, but we still have fun, on a lower budget.

The car for sale is a great car, and I have no complaints about it. It's just impossible for a stock displacement car to keep up with a car that has the cubic inches that car does.

My goal is to race competitively, while keeping the costs down. We do that with the older stock T1 cars Tm

Tim
What kind of numbers are you seeing? You are allowed to see the submitted dyno of your fellow competitors. I haven't looked but I do know of a few top guys with trick engines trying to get max Torque while keeping HP down, but my car is about 350/350 pretty standard to to stock LS.

I have a feeling that Mid Ohio 2011 will be the true tale teller, will a stockish LSX keep up with a big $ trick engine? I'm not sure what Ron Farmer ended up doing for an engine but so far it hasn't paid off Nationally for anyone else.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:00 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

What kind of numbers are you seeing? You are allowed to see the submitted dyno of your fellow competitors. I haven't looked but I do know of a few top guys with trick engines trying to get max Torque while keeping HP down, but my car is about 350/350 pretty standard to to stock LS.

I have a feeling that Mid Ohio 2011 will be the true tale teller, will a stockish LSX keep up with a big $ trick engine? I'm not sure what Ron Farmer ended up doing for an engine but so far it hasn't paid off Nationally for anyone else.
I was recently thinking about the same thing with NASA. Since you are limited only by peak hp and weight, what would the optimal hp and weight combination be for a corvette? I think part of it depends on what track you are running (high speed vs. technical) and also maybe if you have aero or not.

For the engine, would it be an advantage to have a lot of torque down low and mid range and then use a restrictor or tuning to keep the peak hp down? It actually might not make too much difference if you can keep whatever engine you have in the peak power band (ie. proper gearing and gear selection on the track). For our LS6's we are looking at 4800-6800+ rpm. If you don't run your car much below 4800-ish rpm where your peak torque occurs then a trick engine might not really have any advantage. Like you said, I guess we will see next year.

Sorry to go off topic Randy.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:39 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Sorry to go off topic Randy.
It's like a free bump for me I'm really not a big fan of just looking at RWHP. But that is the rules for a few years to come. So Rippie's rules of racing 1. don't get pulled down the straights. Too bad my driving and life kinda suck right now, or I would have shown you guys at nationals.

Why I built the big engine? My goal was to build a ST1 engine that could be restricted to run ST2 with a few small changes. Then sell them as a package. Danny Popp was right, that is a hard thing to do

stock LS7 cam 490 open and closed off 440
DRM's idea ST2 cam 425ish open and closed off 375

After running this engine for the short time that I have. It's fun looking forward to putting into the next gear, vs with the 346CI never using wanting to leave 3rd gear.

Randy
Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

It's like a free bump for me I'm really not a big fan of just looking at RWHP. But that is the rules for a few years to come. So Rippie's rules of racing 1. don't get pulled down the straights. Too bad my driving and life kinda suck right now, or I would have shown you guys at nationals.

Why I built the big engine? My goal was to build a ST1 engine that could be restricted to run ST2 with a few small changes. Then sell them as a package. Danny Popp was right, that is a hard thing to do

stock LS7 cam 490 open and closed off 440
DRM's idea ST2 cam 425ish open and closed off 375

After running this engine for the short time that I have. It's fun looking forward to putting into the next gear, vs with the 346CI never using wanting to leave 3rd gear.

Randy

I'm sure it's awesome. Tons of area under the torque curve. That is a killer setup, good luck with the sale-shouldn't be too hard to move. Tim
Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

I am not sure. I did not dyno my car, but it is a stock LS6 with cats. It came with a 'high octane tune' and I removed it and just put a stock tune in to run 93 octane.

I would like to remove the cats, but I do like the fact that the car is quiet and does not get trouble with noise regulations.

My next step is to dyno the car, scale the car and figure out where I am at. There is some weight that can be taken out, and then I can add a few hp if necessary to get to the limit. I am also going to ask Drivnhard to setup the car.

I would like to see you at Road Atlanta next year. I will try get to Mid O, but I have never driven the track, so I won't have the speed I have at Road Atlanta.

Sorry to hijack the thread, another free bump

Tim
Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 PM
offshore241
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2000 Corvette setup for NASA ST2 racing. Can also be used as a track day car. Car comes with a free and clear title but isn't street legal (Lights, and etc)

Car has 27xxx miles, was a DRM RSR car at one point in time.

Car
ACP Carbon front splitter
Fiberglass front fascia
Carbon fiber rear wing
ACP Wide rear fenders
Lexan front and rear windows
No side windows
6 point NASA legal roll cage
Nascar door bars both sides
Sparco evo 2 drivers seat (outdated)
Hardbar seat mount on drivers side
Corbeau Passenger side (not installed)
Window net (this year)
Passenger side window net included (this year, easily installed, included)
Naca duct for driver cooling
DRM RSR heat extractor hood

Engine
433 Cubic inch LS7
ARE dry sump oil pan
Large drysump tank mounted in right fender
Aeroquip lines
JE Lightweight pistons
Blueprinted oil pump
Stock TI rods
160 t-stat
TPIS T-body with restrictor plate spacer
Coated 1 ¾ headers
Upgraded bearings in rocker arms
Ron Davis Radiator with EOC
This engine has less then 20 laps on it
(375 RWHP on a dynojet)

Drivetrain
Triple disk Tilton 7.25 clutch
Tilton flywheel
Brand new slave and throwout bearing (old one got loud)
20 lap old rebuilt transmission. I have been told it has the long first gear and trick 5th and 6th gear.
The trans looked like new and still rebuilt it anyways
Diff, 3.42 new clutch packs 20 laps old, shimmed for more lock up
DRM Trans and diff cooler setup. With drilled cases and AN installed for easier filling.
LGM Carbon fiber drive shaft, with brand new rubber joint, upgraded to the late model bolts
Clutch bleeder line

Suspension
DRM Bilstein coilovers with Hyperco springs
Poly bushings
T-1 Swaybars with adjustable end links

Brakes
AP Front brake kit, 6 piston calipers, two piece 14 inch rotors
AP Rear brake kit, 4 piston calipers, two piece 13.25 inch rotors
DRM Master cylinder
Included is a few rusty spares, they got rained on pretty good
Some extra hawk and PFC pads
Brembo LCF fluid
DRM Front brake ducts

Extras
Bolt in fire extinguisher, not a fire system
Cowl mounted Kill switch
Kirban shifter with long delrin ****
New shift shaft (20 laps)
Turn one PS pump and cooler
Sparco steering wheel with quick release
Redline oil
80 Pounds of lead bolted to the passenger floor
C6Z intake and maf sensor
GM Race wheel studs
B and B bullet exhaust system
Autometer gauges (Oil pressure, oil temp, RPM, vacuum, water)
CCW wheels 18X11 front and 18X13 Rear. Hoosier R6 285 front and 335 rear mounted now. You can use up to 315 in the front and 345 in the rear.
AMB transponder (+$300)

Price $35,000.00 or Best offer

The Car is located in Buffalo, MN and can be delivered just about anywhere or even shipped overseas. For more information please contact me directly about price and how it should be handled.

If you have a different horsepower goal or would just like more. Please let me know because it can be done!!!

The car looks great !! Who made the wide body fenders ?

TTT for the best deal on the Fourm
Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Randy-
Doug was showing me the car last week when I dropped of my Z
Great looking track beast!! If I would have bought that it would have saved me a lot of $$$$. I doubt it will be around long.

BTW.... When looking at the images I don't see my trailer in the background
Shoot me a email regards my car.
Best
See ya this weekend

Gary
Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 PM
mdk
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

time to break open my piggy bank, very tempting, great deal
Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Timz06
I am not sure. I did not dyno my car, but it is a stock LS6 with cats. It came with a 'high octane tune' and I removed it and just put a stock tune in to run 93 octane.

I would like to remove the cats, but I do like the fact that the car is quiet and does not get trouble with noise regulations.

My next step is to dyno the car, scale the car and figure out where I am at. There is some weight that can be taken out, and then I can add a few hp if necessary to get to the limit. I am also going to ask Drivnhard to setup the car.

I would like to see you at Road Atlanta next year. I will try get to Mid O, but I have never driven the track, so I won't have the speed I have at Road Atlanta.

Sorry to hijack the thread, another free bump

Tim
I ment from other cars
Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by mdk
time to break open my piggy bank, very tempting, great deal
FYI, Randy I did my best to talk Mike into your car
Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Mike ya got an awesome trailer and tow rig to match the car dooo ittttt
Old 10-07-2010, 01:01 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Gman57
Randy-
Doug was showing me the car last week when I dropped of my Z
Great looking track beast!! If I would have bought that it would have saved me a lot of $$$$. I doubt it will be around long.

BTW.... When looking at the images I don't see my trailer in the background
Shoot me a email regards my car.
Best
See ya this weekend

Gary
Don't worry the trailer is still there as of 1/2 hour ago. You can see it in the picture from the rear in the top right corner! Car is done and you will have a email in the AM.

Randy
Old 10-07-2010, 01:29 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man,

I was hoping to see you at mid ohio next year with that thing. I was actually thinking of dropping down to STR/2 next year with my little chevy by placing a bunch of restrictions on her but now I'm not so motivated. It is a bit nostalgic for me seeing her again in your vids. I certainly understand your position and wish you the best of luck with the sale and future ventures.

Ed
Old 10-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Don't worry the trailer is still there as of 1/2 hour ago. You can see it in the picture from the rear in the top right corner! Car is done and you will have a email in the AM.

Randy
Great!!!!
Talk to ya soon.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 AM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. This is a good deal just as I bought my 04. Wanna a trade?

Get notified of new replies

To F/S 2000 C5 NASA ST2 Road Racing Car

Old 10-07-2010, 07:50 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Ken said you will spend twice as much to build half the car this one is.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about a million reasons for selling the car.
We are busy as we have ever been at the shop
Randy
Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by z060ntrack
Thanks to you guys

Randy

Quick Reply: F/S 2000 C5 NASA ST2 Road Racing Car