Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:48 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Default Sway bar

I have the sway stock bars on my c4 and wondering if going larger will help me on a autox course, need to stiffen it up for next year. Any input is well appreciated, and any other upgrades that would help. Thanks in advance. Kim.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

What class are you running in and what suspension is on the car now?
Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

Stock class with a 1.5 inch lowering, otherwise all stock.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kimmer
Stock class with a 1.5 inch lowering, otherwise all stock.
In looking at your pics it appears that you have the FE1 soft ride suspension. The reason I say that is that the car doesn't appear to have the J55 bigger brakes that came with the Z07 performance suspension package.

If you want to run in a stock class, then you could put on the Z07 springs and sway bars. That would be a good upgrade and would still keep you in a stock class ( which you aren't actually leagal for with the car lowered as it is now). In addition this is a balanced package so you can be sure that the car will handle correctly and you can then add shocks that will help your autocross performance. If you google C4 Corvette suspension chart, you will find the spring rates and sway bar sizes for each year that Hib Halverson put together and that will give you an idea where you are.

The Koni Sport (yellow) single adjustable shocks are perfectly matched to these springs and sway bars and cars set up with this package have won countless national championships. Set the rear shocks to full soft and adjust the fronts to match your driving style.

Align it by removing all the front alignment shims and set the front toe to about 1/8 of an inch of total toe out, and set the rear with -1.5 degrees of negative camber and about 1/16 of an inch of total toe in...

A properly aligned and tuned Z07 package is a very capable autocross car. Set it up like this and you are pretty much done....

Actually to be perfectly legal in SCCA stock you should upgrade to the J55 brakes, since they were part of the Z07 package......
Old 10-11-2010, 09:54 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

Thanks for the info, I'v got some time to do it now since our season is over. With the WSCC the lowering is legal for stock but next year I want to be more competitive and am planning on changing quite a few things and moving up in class.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
The reason I say that is that the car doesn't appear to have the J55 bigger brakes that came with the Z07 performance suspension package.

If you want to run in a stock class, then you could put on the Z07 springs and sway bars.

Actually to be perfectly legal in SCCA stock you should upgrade to the J55 brakes, since they were part of the Z07 package......
You didn't have to have the Z07 package to get the J55 brakes, I had the Z51 which had the J55s.
But the Z07 springs would help, I had the Bilsten Extreme shocks with the stock Z51 springs on my 96' with the cross frame under it and it out cornered a lot of cars.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

The original poster has a 1992 car. In 1992 you had to get the Z07 package to get the stiffer springs and bars and with that came the J55 brakes.... You couldn't get J55 without the Z07 package in the years 1992-1994. Not sure what was available in 95 and 96 since that was after I left GM. There was no Z51 package in those years only Z07.

Last edited by Solofast; 10-12-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
DonF
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Springs, shocks & brakes some of the fastest easiest things to do & your car doesn't need to be lowered. If you are intrested in shocks PM me & I will give you some info.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:58 AM
DonF
Drifting

Originally Posted by DonF
Springs, shocks & brakes some of the fastest easiest things to do & your car doesn't need to be lowered. If you are intrested in shocks PM me & I will give you some info.
Opps! I forgot what you asked about in the first place, yes, sway bars
Old 10-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info, I'v got some time to do it now since our season is over. With the WSCC the lowering is legal for stock but next year I want to be more competitive and am planning on changing quite a few things and moving up in class.
Careful what you wish for... Suggest that you make the car as good a stock car as you can and concentrate on nut behind the wheel. Lots of folks think the key to going faster is modifications, but the real answer is to properly tune the car and learn to drive it. Most mods just put you in a faster class, and unless you make the car almost useless on the street it won't be fast enough to win much of anything in a class that allows mods. Or, put another way, if you go to a modified class, expect that you will have to modify to the limits of the rules, or you will get waxed by someone that has done everything (and more perhaps ) and brings their car on a trailer because it is impossible to drive it on the street like that...

Sorry if that sounds discouraging, but them's the facts of life..
Old 10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

Yes I agree, driving is the most important, I had an experienced driver take my car out yesterday on the fun runs , first time in my car and he beat my best time by 2 tenths. I just want it to grip better in the sweeps and in the corners, I'm going to start with some Kumho's xs for more grip.

Last edited by kimmer; 10-12-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 PM
DonF
Drifting

Yes I agree, driving is the most important, I had an experienced driver take my car out yesterday on the fun runs , first time in my car and he beat my best time by 2 tenths. I just want it to handle better in the sweeps and in the corners, I'm going to start with some Kumho's xs for more grip.
Seat time, seat time, seat time!!!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

Yes I know, but my tires have to go, they are way hard.

Get notified of new replies

To Sway bar

Quick Reply: Sway bar