Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace ball joints - please dont tell me you have to heat the CA

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:23 AM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default replace ball joints - please dont tell me you have to heat the CA

In the middle of swapping out to Poly bushings and replacing the upper and lower ball joints.

Had the original rear control arm bushings all pressed out.

Then pressed out the lower rear ball joints.

I was just told you can't press out the old ball joints as it destroys the taper in the aluminum control arm and that you have to heat the control arms in order to remove them. Is this true???

I also pressed out the upper ball joints on the rear knuckles.

Does this mean I have to now source out some used lower CA's and rear knuckles?? That would suck. Its a lot of work to this point in time.

Please please advise on this. We should have a DIY warning for this one if its true.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 AM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pressed mine out and pressed in the new ball joints.
Works fine!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Uppers, lowers, or both?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 AM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Below is the quote and the link to the thread where I was told this information. Can anyone else confirm???
I am going to call Pfadt and LG this morning and see what they say.
I am in the middle of all this, so any more input to help me decide to stop or move forward is much appreciated!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...post1575929446

Originally Posted by jabbott
If you did not heat the control arm it is ruined. They were never made to replace the ball joints, that is why GM does not sell just the ball joint. I spent years sourcing these, but you have to heat the control arm or else the new ones will not have the same press fit as the original.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 AM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Ok so far this morning the score is:

Zip Corvette - yes you must heat the control arms & spindles
LG - yes you must heat the control arms & spindles
Pfadt - no you do not need to
Forum Users -Qty 2 - no you do not need to

Last call is my local road race shop who I was going to have them do the corner balance / alignment (TC Motorsports). They are open at 8am PST.

I hope I can get some form of definitive answer - Its about $400 or so to replace these parts and start over.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:53 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All are great respectable people you have talked to, but I pressed my ball joints right out on a $99 press from Summit Racing.

Ordered new from Rock Auto and pressed them right back in.

??????

Aaron
Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 AM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

To clarify for everyone: I am questioning whether you can press out the old ball joints in the CA's or spindles cold then re-install the new BJ's in cold CA's/Spindles.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewdonald1
To clarify for everyone: I am questioning whether you can press out the old ball joints in the CA's or spindles cold then re-install the new BJ's in cold CA's/Spindles.
Let me explain a little more. The question you asked is not complicated but the answer maybe. Can you press them out cold and back in yes, if your press will do it. Is this the right way to do it so the control arm will not be damaged, NO. The arm was originally heated when the ball joints went in, the ball joints are non service items. I spent allot of time getting the ball joints to be available which now they are from and thanks to that leg work Rock Auto has them. Now on cars with aluminum control arms and even some steel they make a ball joint that is .005 over sized so that when you press out the old one the new one will press in and have the correct "press fit". These ball joints are the stock size, so you have to heat the control arm in order not to damage it. Pfadt has his own ball joint, do not know what the diameter of it is, however on the replacement ones they are stock, so in order to make sure the ball joint has the same press you have to heat the control arm, this is why GM did not offer the ball joint but made you buy the whole assembly. So the answer is a little more complicated then yes or no, but how about changing the question to if I want them to be done correctly.
Justin
Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by Hazman

Pressed mine out and pressed in the new ball joints.
Works fine!
That does not mean it was done correctly. Did not say it could not be done, I could change them with a sledgehammer if needed to, but that does not make it the right way to do it.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Zip Corvettes

Not real sure why people will come on here and raise a BS flag when a vendor is trying to explain the proper way of doing something. Just because you did it one way does not make it right, kind of like wiring a speaker wire, you can just twist the wire together and put a piece of scotch tape around it, it works but does that make it right??????
Makes a vendor not want to waste time trying to explain to someone how to properly do something.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Let me explain a little more. The question you asked is not complicated but the answer maybe. Can you press them out cold and back in yes, if your press will do it. Is this the right way to do it so the control arm will not be damaged, NO. The arm was originally heated when the ball joints went in, the ball joints are non service items. I spent allot of time getting the ball joints to be available which now they are from and thanks to that leg work Rock Auto has them. Now on cars with aluminum control arms and even some steel they make a ball joint that is .005 over sized so that when you press out the old one the new one will press in and have the correct "press fit". These ball joints are the stock size, so you have to heat the control arm in order not to damage it. Pfadt has his own ball joint, do not know what the diameter of it is, however on the replacement ones they are stock, so in order to make sure the ball joint has the same press you have to heat the control arm, this is why GM did not offer the ball joint but made you buy the whole assembly. So the answer is a little more complicated then yes or no, but how about changing the question to if I want them to be done correctly.
Justin
I appreciate your feedback and time on this and value you as a vendor.

So I purchased my replacements at Rock Auto. It appears from above explanation, I am [c] below.
Moog K6537 for the lowers
Raybestos 500-1128 for the uppers.

Being that I pressed them out cold, am I ok to either:
[a] press them in cold
[b] heat the CA's and spindles to 400 deg F for 30 minutes and plop in the above replacements that are in the freezer
[c] purchase used CA's/spindles with factory ball joints, heat them in [b] above, remove old BJ's, then plop in the replacements (while the CA's/spindles are hot) above from the freezer?

Last edited by andrewdonald1; 11-15-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Zip Corvettes

I would go ahead and heat them and then press them in. I don't bother to freeze the ball joint, the press is not that tight. Just heating the control arm is enough. If you heat the control arm and the ball joint falls into place, then it is time to find a used control arm. Even with it heated you should have to press it in.
Justin
Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That does not mean it was done correctly. Did not say it could not be done, I could change them with a sledgehammer if needed to, but that does not make it the right way to do it.
Not real sure why people will come on here and raise a BS flag when a vendor is trying to explain the proper way of doing something. Just because you did it one way does not make it right, kind of like wiring a speaker wire, you can just twist the wire together and put a piece of scotch tape around it, it works but does that make it right??????
Makes a vendor not want to waste time trying to explain to someone how to properly do something.
First let me state that I very much appreciate all the vendors who are willing to come on these forums and share their knowledge and experience with us!! I make an effort to direct my business to those vendors as much as I can because of their extra effort here.

Now if you go look at this thread you will notice that I responded to the original post that simply says he was told by someone with no indication of that persons identity or expertise and prior to his providing a link to the other thread where you explained. Also I was using Pfadt ball joints and followed that vendors instructions.

Posting a reply to a fellow forum member and getting jumped on by a vendor does not exactly endear me to that vendor! I prefer to solder wires together and insulate them with watertight heat shrink tubing myself but what would a chemical engineer who works in nuclear facilities know?

So once again lack of information and clear communication leads to a misunderstanding. I should have stated that I was using Pfadt ball joints and in retrospect throwing the BS flag was a little harsh without further information. Possibly you should have considered the flow of the thread and the context of my post prior to denigrating my answer and capabilities. If we ever meet up at the track the beer is on me.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:09 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First let me state that I very much appreciate all the vendors who are willing to come on these forums and share their knowledge and experience with us!! I make an effort to direct my business to those vendors as much as I can because of their extra effort here.

Now if you go look at this thread you will notice that I responded to the original post that simply says he was told by someone with no indication of that persons identity or expertise and prior to his providing a link to the other thread where you explained. Also I was using Pfadt ball joints and followed that vendors instructions.

Posting a reply to a fellow forum member and getting jumped on by a vendor does not exactly endear me to that vendor! I prefer to solder wires together and insulate them with watertight heat shrink tubing myself but what would a chemical engineer who works in nuclear facilities know?

So once again lack of information and clear communication leads to a misunderstanding. I should have stated that I was using Pfadt ball joints and in retrospect throwing the BS flag was a little harsh without further information. Possibly you should have considered the flow of the thread and the context of my post prior to denigrating my answer and capabilities. If we ever meet up at the track the beer is on me.
I was waiting for the Jayne East Tennessee point by...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Zip Corvettes

Where good. Maybe I was a little harsh too.
Do you work at Oak Ridge.
Both of my grandfathers worked there and it is where my parents were born and went to school.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where good. Maybe I was a little harsh too.
Do you work at Oak Ridge.
Both of my grandfathers worked there and it is where my parents were born and went to school.
Saying he "works" is pushing it a little. He is a kept man

Get notified of new replies

To replace ball joints - please dont tell me you have to heat the CA

Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thank you for your detailed explanation. Always like to hear from people on advice. I may have my own views on a subject butI still appreciated others views Please do not stop giving out free advice and opinions. Like holding a door open for someone behind you and they say nothing. It is the few that say thanks that makes me gamble on the next one behind me. Great part is when there are two doors in a row and I slither through the next one fast and let it go. .
Old 11-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Zip Corvettes

John,
Thanks I just get annoyed with it. I mean I don't give legal advice because I am not a lawyer, I don't give medical advice because I am not a doctor and so on. I find it odd when you get someone on here that is in the Corvette business everyone seem to quickly nay say and go agree with the advice from the banker on how or what is wrong with the car and the proper way to fix it no matter how crazy sounding it is. I was just frustrated, customer service is important to us and I will continue to help out.
Thanks
Justin

Quick Reply: replace ball joints - please dont tell me you have to heat the CA