Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ZO6 Owner starting my track car build

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Vette53
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ZO6 Owner starting my track car build

Well... Just thought I would pop in and introduce myself since I am new to the Corvette scene. I have been pit crew for my son's racing for years now. Last season he jumped from karting to Spec Miata. Since I really want to get some track time for myself, I went out and bought a 2002 ZO6 with about 18k miles on it.

I am starting to build the car for HPDE days with the thought of running TT in the future. In the beginning I will use the car on the street. This forum has been a wealth of info. The car has a few mods on it already. The only major thing I need to take out will be the Nitrous. I am picking up a set of Sparco EVO 2 Plus seats today. I will put a four point roll bar and harnesses in the car as well. The roll bar will be fabricated by Piper Motorsports. Then I will do the following items before my first event.

- Stainless Brake Lines
- Brake cooling ducts
- Tie Rod heat shields
- Brake Pads
- Set of TBD tires on race wheels (I will stay with a street tire)
- Oil Catch Can/PCV Valve
- Belt tensioner
- Pedal Kit
- Radiator screen
- Tow hooks

I think that is it for now but a radiator with oil cooler is in the not so far off future. I realize I could buy a car with all this stuff for cheaper than I can build it but for me this is part of the fun. I'll post pictures as I go but below are a few I took yesterday.

-Scott

Last edited by Vette53; 11-26-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Beautiful car. Good luck with the build!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Sounds like you're on the right path. You'll want the oil cooler soon. It's not hard to hit 300* in less than 20min of hard running. Keep us posted!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:28 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The C5 ZO6 is probably one of the best cars for the money out there.

You will love it.

Take your time. Stay as close to stock as your ego allows (i.e. dependability). The more radical your engine modifications (cam etc) the more issues and expenses.

Searches on this forum is your friend.

There is some tremendously knowledgeable people on this forum who can guide you through any issues.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:18 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Very good looking car! Its the right color too
Have fun and be safe
Old 11-26-2010, 11:30 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

What region will you be running in?
Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Vette53
Instructor

I'll be running with NASA Mid Atlantic. Having been around the race track, and driven a few times, I have a healthy respect for the car, track and the time it takes to really be able to drive well. I am really focused on safety and longevity. I plan to enjoy every moment on track and absorb all the advice from the instructors. I will never be close to a pro driver but I can have as much fun.

The only item on the car that worries me is a slight cam. I will take the car to be seen by a trusted mechanic. The car makes about 396 HP to to the wheels. I am not too worried about the extra power. I think I can keep my ego in check with out a problem. I was just worried about the longevity of the motor.

I may go for the radiator and oil cooler combo sold by DRM before I hit the track.

-Scott
Old 11-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette53
I am really focused on safety and longevity.

-Scott
Scott,

If so and at all possible, a cage would be the only thing I would suggest adding to your project. Good luck and have fun.

Mike
Old 11-26-2010, 02:27 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Brake cooling ducts for sure (as you mentioned).
Also get some high-temp brake fluid....
Castrol SRF is the best (also most expensive),
Motul 600 is next (and less expensive)

You should also consider some "track" brake pads... not necessarily "track-dedicated".
But at least something that will give you better braking than stock.... and will not fade.

Good Luck, and Have Fun !!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:30 PM
blueekb
Advanced

I did this same thing about 2 years ago. I bought a 2003 Z06 with 9000 miles on it. Completely stock. I added spindle and brake ducts. stainless steel lines, castrol srf, Hawk HP+ pads and an MGW shifter. I also changed all my fluids to Royal Purple. I've run this way for 2 years and its been great.

This year since I picked up speed I was having to short shift on the staights cause i was hitting 280 oil real easy. So oil and maybe diff, trans coolers are coming soon. I was also planning on seeing how much to install a 4 point or more at piper. Have you called them yet? Racing seats, harnesses and HANS will also be going in.

I also run with NASA Mid Atlantic in HPDE 3 now. I've done a few FATT events at Summit Point as well. So see you out there or feel free to ask me any questions. All the Vette instructors are awesome people and you will have a great time.

Ed Butler
Old 11-26-2010, 04:12 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are making this a track car, bag the Oil Integrated radiator and go with dedicated units. Randy can set you up with what you need. Once you start to beat on the car, the integrated radiator will not give you the oil cooling you need...I have one in my car with the oil cooling path re-plumbed to a dedicated Setrab cooler. Oil is a solid 30 to 40 deg cooler.

2nd the Cage comment
Old 11-26-2010, 04:53 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Cool Scott

Skip the radiator screen That still gets too plugged

Just keep the radiator cleaned out.

Dedicated oil and trans coolers.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:16 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

nice Z !

Whats the consensus on diff coolers ?
Are they really needed, or can a guy just increase maintenance intervals (change fluids after every several events) and be OK ?
I have engine oil and trans coolers - just not sure about the diff.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Vette53
Instructor

Couple of comments for the above posts...

I have been to Piper's and Robby showed me a customer ZO6 that was getting seats and a 4 point roll bar. I will say their attention to detail is amazing. I have a tough decision to make with the bar. They offer two styles of custom 4 points. A unit designed to be added onto so you can complete a full cage and a "street" version. The "street" version will allow you to put your old seats back in the car while the other can make it more difficult. I think I am going to go with the "future" proof version and sell the factory seats.

I am going to dual purpose the car at first so I want it to be some what "streetable". So, here are some oil cooler questions....

1) If I go with a dedicated oil cooler, will the stock radiator be OK? I will cut a hole where the license plate is to let more air in.

2) If I go with a dedicated oil cooler, in the winter months when I drive on the street will the oil temp be OK? Should I make a small aluminum cover for the oil cooler in the winter?

3) I have notice that in 50 degree weather the water temp is 190 and oil around 205 with street driving. What temps for water and oil are too high when I am at the track?

Thx
Scott
Old 11-26-2010, 10:08 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

I may go for the radiator and oil cooler combo sold by DRM before I hit the track.

-Scott
Just do it! there is no way you can run hard with out it
It's just plain frustrating.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Couple of comments for the above posts...

I have been to Piper's and Robby showed me a customer ZO6 that was getting seats and a 4 point roll bar. I will say their attention to detail is amazing. I have a tough decision to make with the bar. They offer two styles of custom 4 points. A unit designed to be added onto so you can complete a full cage and a "street" version. The "street" version will allow you to put your old seats back in the car while the other can make it more difficult. I think I am going to go with the "future" proof version and sell the factory seats.

I am going to dual purpose the car at first so I want it to be some what "streetable". So, here are some oil cooler questions....

1) If I go with a dedicated oil cooler, will the stock radiator be OK? I will cut a hole where the license plate is to let more air in.

2) If I go with a dedicated oil cooler, in the winter months when I drive on the street will the oil temp be OK? Should I make a small aluminum cover for the oil cooler in the winter?

3) I have notice that in 50 degree weather the water temp is 190 and oil around 205 with street driving. What temps for water and oil are too high when I am at the track?

Thx
Scott
Dedeicated oil cooler will need blocked off for the street, even the integrated one doesn't warm up right
yes covering it or just plain bypassing it is best a thermostat will still let oil flow through the cooler and over cool
water temps are ok up to 240 on track although you loose power.
oil temps need to stay under 300 at max as the bearing material begins to soften at 350 and there is a 50 degree higher temp in the bearings

as to differential cooler not a bad idea if you run longer than 20 min or so I didn't have one and just changed with Redline every year
Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Vette53
Instructor

I got the Sparco EVO 2 Plus seats today. I went down stairs and found out that I am not the only one in the family that likes these seats!!!

I quickly moved the seats to the shop. Cody is cute but he chews EVERYTHING!!! (just like a puppy should)

Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Cool Scott

Skip the radiator screen That still gets too plugged

Just keep the radiator cleaned out.

Dedicated oil and trans coolers.

Skip the belt tensioner and the catch can (IMO these have questionable value anyway) at least until you get the cooling taken care of. I did supspension first myself but should have done cooling in hindsight. Safety, brakes (lines, fluids, cooling), and eng/trans cooling should be your top priority.

Welcome to the addiction.
BTW your photos are excellent.

Get notified of new replies

To New ZO6 Owner starting my track car build

Quick Reply: New ZO6 Owner starting my track car build