Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fade with ducts... any input?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
take fluid out of the equation and use SRF. Your stock lines in good condition are not giving you fade. You bleed some of your fluid but how old is it?
Are you of the opinion that stock lines are just fine?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about changing out the aluminum pistons and get DRM's stainless steel ones. That might help.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,972 Likes on 5,354 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
That's a bit extreme to me... no need to flush between each day at the track. At most a few pumps at each caliper if any. I've never boiled ATE superblue and I don't bleed the brakes after a day on track if they still feel fine. I bleed them as part of my prep before the weekend.
I agree. I flush new fluid in before the event and don't bother doing anything during the event unless there is an indication of an issue.

Bill
Old 04-14-2011, 06:25 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by avizandum
Are you of the opinion that stock lines are just fine?
I don't think there is a difference you can feel if there is any. I have DRM lines and Wilwoods calipers. I would like to see someone come off track when hot and measure all the supposed expansion of the OEM lines. I mean when you blow a tire off a rim which takes about 300 psi it does not grow much it just explodes and I think a brake line would be the same.

They are not made of balloon material and for many they are just fine. I felt no big difference when I switched. Granted I run the car much harder now but I still think 99% placebo effect.

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-14-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:29 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Doug P
What about changing out the aluminum pistons and get DRM's stainless steel ones. That might help.
They help I had them years back. I would try SRF before money on line and pistons.

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-14-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Constant bleeding/flushing never really changed the fact that I got a long pedal by the end of a TT weekend, so I just got lazy and learned to live with it. I'll bleed once a day if I'm feeling motivated or it's worse than usual, and always before a race.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Based upon my significant experience the Hawk DTC-70 pads are the main culprit. I won't run them. They generate much more heat than any other pad and I've literally ran them all.

Not only do they generate excessive heat they are also VERY hard on rotors.

In my modded C5 I had the same issue and was running ATE Blue. Switched to PFC-01 or Wilwood H and problem solved. My ASA stock car came with DTC-70 pads and same issue. Switching pads in the race car again solved the problem.

SRF also solves the problem BUT, it just "masks" the heat. I suggest you try a set of Wilwood H, PFC-01 or Raybestos ST-43 or ST-47.

Flame suit on for protection from the Hawk and Carbotech faithful....

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 04-14-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Based upon my significant experience the Hawk DTC-70 pads are the main culprit. I won't run them. They generate much more heat than any other pad and I've literally ran them all.

Not only do they generate excessive heat they are also VERY hard on rotors.

In my modded C5 I had the same issue and was running ATE Blue. Switched to PFC-01 or Wilwood H and problem solved. My ASA stock car came with DTC-70 pads and same issue. Switching pads in the race car again solved the problem.

SRF also solves the problem BUT, it just "masks" the heat. I suggest you try a set of Wilwood H, PFC-01 or Raybestos ST-43 or ST-47.

Flame suit on for protection from the Hawk faithful....

Rick
No, on the other hand, I really agree that this makes sense. The more agressive the pad, the more heat it dumps into the rotors. Certainly on some tracks where you have more 130-down-to-45mph turn-ins, you get worse pedal feel from the additional heat. I have good experience with the Wilwood H both for feel, performance, and wear. They do crack the rotors more than Carbos from what I'm told.
I'd recommend Wil H Front & Rear though.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:30 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Wilwood Hs eat rotors for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Hawks produce dust that will literally bond to everything it touches and turn to rust when it gets wet. I've had lots of experience with both.

Carbotechs for me
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Wilwood Hs eat rotors for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Hawks produce dust that will literally bond to everything it touches and turn to rust when it gets wet. I've had lots of experience with both.

Carbotechs for me
Not my experience. Wilwood H/ST-43 are VERY rotor friendly on the 3 different cars I've ran. Modded C5, C6Z and ASA stock car. Apparently you've not had the same results.

You'd have to pay me to run Carbotech pads. I've tried them a number of times and they last half the life of the pads I've mentioned. Terrible pads for me.

I'm relating my experience and not starting a pissing match. In the end different driving styles, tracks, tires, experience level will give different results. I'm sharing my experience.

Rick
Old 04-14-2011, 01:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Not my experience. Wilwood H/ST-43 are VERY rotor friendly on the 3 different cars I've ran. Modded C5, C6Z and ASA stock car. Apparently you've not had the same results.

You'd have to pay me to run Carbotech pads. I've tried them a number of times and they last half the life of the pads I've mentioned. Terrible pads for me.

I'm relating my experience and not starting a pissing match. In the end different driving styles, tracks, tires, experience level will give different results. I'm sharing my experience.

Rick
Old 04-14-2011, 01:46 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have a C6 Z51.. went comp mode once... overheated brakes at 15-18min.. got practice left foot breaking to pump the pads. later in the season had simular issue, but the pedal was lower before grabing... flushed lines, no change, checked the rear pads and i have credit cards that were thicker.. i forgot to change them out and ran the street pads.
I use to use Hawk and they were too hot as mentioned above , use PFC, Carbotek what ever i find a best price..
Running w/ all nannies off i had 200degree reduction in pad temp and saved a lot of pad wear..
Run Smooth speed will follow..
Old 04-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better put your flame suit on now!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:21 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

many times we attempt to brake too late for the stock C5 / C6 calipers with race pads vs cars with BBKs on.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
many times we attempt to brake too late for the stock C5 / C6 calipers with race pads vs cars with BBKs on.
Huh? BBKs don't increase overall stopping power, they simply withstand hard use a bit longer and the main benefit is decreased consumables cost and service needs.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:44 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Better put your flame suit on now!
As I said in my earlier post:

Flame suit on for protection from the Hawk and Carbotech faithful....

Rick
Old 04-14-2011, 02:46 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

I've run Hawks, Wilwoods, PFCs, and Carbotechs.... I stick to Carbotechs now becuase I've run 5 weekends on one set of rotors and when my car gets wet I don't have to spend a weekend rubbing embedded rust off of it.

Yes they wear out a little faster, but that's usually due to pad taper. Flip your pads after each day on track and you can run them to the backing plates.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake fade with ducts... any input?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I agree. I flush new fluid in before the event and don't bother doing anything during the event unless there is an indication of an issue.

Bill
I bleed off the front calipers at the end of a day only because my tiny brain thinks the pedal feels better.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I bleed off the front calipers at the end of a day only because my tiny brain thinks the pedal feels better.
Like an oil change on an engine it always seems better running with new oil.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Huh? BBKs don't increase overall stopping power, they simply withstand hard use a bit longer and the main benefit is decreased consumables cost and service needs.
towards the end of a session I believe they do stop better, but kind of what you said that yourself. Bigger caliper, bigger rotors consume more heat and will stop better.

Quick Reply: Brake fade with ducts... any input?