Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:31 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Good info Chris, thank you again.

I've debated selling my C6 coupe for awhile but have really grown to love the car and don't really want to sell it.

That leaves me with needing a dry sump when/if I decide I want to road race.

I've looked into the idea of swapping out the crank/oiling system/oil pan/etc to add in a factory GS/Z06 dry sump. Do you have any thoughts on that?

I don't want to lose my a/c so some of the aftermarket dry sump kits are out. I've looked into the AVIAD kit that bolts on the passenger side head but I'm not certain on which kit would fit my goals the best.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:18 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinjor
Good info Chris, thank you again.

I've debated selling my C6 coupe for awhile but have really grown to love the car and don't really want to sell it.

That leaves me with needing a dry sump when/if I decide I want to road race.

I've looked into the idea of swapping out the crank/oiling system/oil pan/etc to add in a factory GS/Z06 dry sump. Do you have any thoughts on that?

I don't want to lose my a/c so some of the aftermarket dry sump kits are out. I've looked into the AVIAD kit that bolts on the passenger side head but I'm not certain on which kit would fit my goals the best.
What you are trying to do is have a hybrid - a car for both the street and track. I tried that for a while and it's OK for just track days and school, but not for racing...if you want to win that is.

So here's the deal. If you just want to use your car for track days and schools, then use the stock GS/Z06 system. But if you plan to race, you'll have to scrap the a/c...because of the extra weight and drag placed on the engine.

I've got the ARE system on mine and I think Jason Berkeley is using the AVIAD. They both work well and are better than the stock GS/Z06 version. But you've got to make a decision on what you want to do with the car. Schools = keep the a/c and use the stock system.
Race = drop the a/c and go with any dry sump system. If you do plan to race though, and want to win, you'll want the best!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Thanks again Chris.

I would just like to take some driving classes and spend some time around Sebring when they have open track days.

My vette is my daily driver and as such, won't be turned into a racecar anytime soon.

Regarding the drag on the engine, the a/c uses a separate belt so why couldn't I just disconnect that belt when I was doing any form of racing and eliminate the drag on the motor. Also, regarding the weight, I can't imagine the a/c weighing more than 50-75lbs total so what is it that I'm missing?

I'm not trying to dispute anything you're saying, I'm just trying to make sure I understand.

Also, what is it about the ARE and AVIAD systems that perform so much better than the GS/Z06/ZR1 systems? Can the OEM systems fail or do they just not provide enough oil pressure/cooling/etc?

Thanks again for the info, I love this stuff
Old 10-30-2011, 05:09 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

As I said, it just depends on how competitive you want to be. If we are equal drivers and the cars are equally prepared, etc...but you are 50-75 lbs heavier, then you will be .5 to .75 seconds per lap slower than me. Plus, your weight is up front and high (behind the dash pad too). After a 20 lap race, you won't even be in my rear view mirror. You'll have higher tire wear rate, more brake wear, etc, etc, etc. How competitive do you want to be?

The stock system is good, but the ARE (for instance) is a 3-stage scavenge system. In other words, there is a slight vacuum inside the engine so you won't have those internal pressure problems, reduced ring flutter, etc. = more consistent power! Then there's the reduced foaming benefit, slightly higher capacity, better cooling and so on.

If you're just using it for track days, then the stock system may be for you. But if you're trying to race and be competitive, there are better options.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:17 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Great info, thanks again Chris.

That makes a lot more sense. I guess I never realized how important weight could me.

For now, I'm just wanting to make some hot laps around a track and push the car to the higher limits.

On a side note, do you have any pictures, details on your LS3 racecar? I'd love to see some detailed pictures of it in full race trim etc.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:40 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Great info, thanks again Chris.

That makes a lot more sense. I guess I never realized how important weight could me.

For now, I'm just wanting to make some hot laps around a track and push the car to the higher limits.

On a side note, do you have any pictures, details on your LS3 racecar? I'd love to see some detailed pictures of it in full race trim etc.
Sure. Just gimme a call. 678.378.3259
Old 10-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the drag on the engine, the a/c uses a separate belt so why couldn't I just disconnect that belt when I was doing any form of racing and eliminate the drag on the motor. Also, regarding the weight, I can't imagine the a/c weighing more than 50-75lbs total so what is it that I'm missing?
I just wanted to let you know you don't have to pull the belt off when tracking your vette. I understand why dropping the weight is key for race only cars but for street / track cars, the compressor has a clutch on it. Therefore the only drag is the belt turning the clutch. If you do have the AC on when your on the track, there is also a calibration in the system that will turn off the AC under high throttle conditions.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:57 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran with my AC for a long time. I finally pulled it for the weight and cooling benefits (the condenser removal helped the airflow up front quite a bit).

I run one of the lightest corvettes in my division, and it pays off. Less brake wear, less tire wear, lower lap times.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:00 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by yakisoba
I ran with my AC for a long time. I finally pulled it for the weight and cooling benefits (the condenser removal helped the airflow up front quite a bit).

I run one of the lightest corvettes in my division, and it pays off. Less brake wear, less tire wear, lower lap times.
Details on the car?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:48 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Addicted to track
I just wanted to let you know you don't have to pull the belt off when tracking your vette. I understand why dropping the weight is key for race only cars but for street / track cars, the compressor has a clutch on it. Therefore the only drag is the belt turning the clutch. If you do have the AC on when your on the track, there is also a calibration in the system that will turn off the AC under high throttle conditions.

Plus it's nice to have it on while you are waiting for your session to go off. Different for race only cars.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:35 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MX621
This past tues at thunderbolt i was following a ls3 w/ toyo r88's and it let go right in front of me, got it on the go pro in car.. guy said it was his 15th track day on the setup... he even made a comment in the morning how he is on the verge with the oem oiling system on the R88's..
I'm picking up my '06 LS2 car with a brand new LS2 this afternoon... also on R888s pulling around 1.2G on the left hand T2 at Thunderhill. 26,000 miles and maybe 20 hours of track time in that?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I seem to hear this too from racers with the drysump. I also hear the
C6 Z06 is blowing up too. I guess we'll have to wait for the next gen
C7 and hope GM figures it out. So what has GM rumoured to have done? They Stopped production of LS6 crates the only motor that was bullit-proof. I know at least one recent T1 racer that had a bit of a time finding an LS6 crate. While not race class legal for many classes I think the LS6 with a cam is a better motor than an LS3 for reliability and comparable power.
even I cant blow up a ls6!!!!

Last edited by TRACKMAN2; 10-31-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:39 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Dead stock they should be OK with 1 quart over?

Taking a buddy with a 08 LS3 to a HPDE. Dead stock, new driver, street tires. The most aggressive it will get driven will be with me taking him around the track.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:46 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NoOne
Dead stock they should be OK with 1 quart over?

Taking a buddy with a 08 LS3 to a HPDE. Dead stock, new driver, street tires. The most aggressive it will get driven will be with me taking him around the track.
You should be OK with an all stock system. Watch the oil temps though if you start to push it. If you see 300+, back it off for a lap or two.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Yep, Mike McGinley and I ran the first 2 prototype pans developed by the GM engineers we were working with back in mid 08. They kept the engine alive, but didn't solve all the problems. There were still extremely high oil temps, blow-by and the pressures were nowhere near as high as they should have been. Turning left is still the problem with the pan.

My best advice to you or anyone else with an LS3 remains the same - put a dry sump on there. It's the only way to ensure it'll live.
My goal is to keep my LS2 alive and well during a couple of HPDE's and drive it home. Ill be using a street tire (PS2 Zp's or Supercars) so if the "Batwing" pan will help and I upgrade the cooler, that fits my budget better. I cant really afford a dry sump so I'm looking for a budget fix for occasional track use. Do you think the high oil temps added to the low pressure problem during testing? Oil lost its viscosity at +300*?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Drifting

Are the 2 types of "batwing" pans the same? Other than the C5 being 2 piece and the C6 being solid? Witch did you test? I cant find the oil pan for sale anywhere when I type the part # from GM racing.(12630477?)
Old 11-02-2011, 10:24 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

No, the C5 and C6 pans are different. I don't know if you can even find those things any more. The only ones I've ever seen were hand-made ones by the GM engineers. Once they (SCCA) approved the dry sump, I gave my old pan to Joe at Phoenix and they installed the sump. You may want to check with Phoenix and see if they have one.

I'm sure that the high oil temps affected the pressures a little, but the big problem was just the poor stock oiling system...for anything other than about 1.1Gs. All that oil pooling in the heads and the ring blow-by was just terrible for pressures and temps. The sump does solve it.

Get notified of new replies

To Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track

Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Mike Tracy Sr. had one for sale a while back - so did Joe at Pheonix.

Here's the for sale thread for Mikes a while back.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...2-and-ls3.html
Old 11-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the link but I think it sold. It seems perfect for what Ill be doing. What is a good price for a used dry sump? Is a dry sump usually ok to buy used?
What is involved in the install of a dry sump? any drilling or machine work to the block?

Last edited by 383; 11-03-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383
Thanks for the link but I think it sold. It seems perfect for what Ill be doing. What is a good price for a used dry sump? Is a dry sump usually ok to buy used?
What is involved in the install of a dry sump? any drilling or machine work to the block?
I'd be amazed if you could find a used sump. Once they are installed on a car/engine, they usually stay there. If they ever come off, it's because of engine damage of some sort. In that case, the external parts (sump, lines, coolers, etc.) are usually thrown away because of all the little bits & pieces of engine debris are nearly impossible to get clean enough for re-use. I know I took probably 6-8 hours cleaning out my oil cooler, the lines, scavenge pump, pan, tank, etc. when my engine let go at the runoffs in 2010. Even after all that, we still find some tiny bits in the oil filter.

The ARE system is a bolt on system, but the hard part is/are the different configuration(s) of the lines and fittings. Just about everyone has their own coolers, etc., so that complicates things. You can easily spend $1500 on lines, fittings and coolers...and generally, there are no "one size fits all" set-ups. I think the Phoenix guys put together a package that comes pretty close though.

Quick Reply: Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track