Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel weight question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default wheel weight question

I have been browsing and am looking into purchasing a new set of wheels for my c5z06

I am confused with wheel weights and there significance. For example a stock 18" speedline is roughly 21lbs if I recall, What would the benefit to find something that is light weight say 19-20lbs or a 3 piece?

There is a significant price difference so I would love to be informed. I understand a 5-10lbs weight difference makes a difference but a 2lbs?

Appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:26 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

unsprung weight ( weight ourside ofthe suspension i.e. wheel, tires and brakes) does have a direct influence on performance. A rough rule of thumb is that every 5 pounds of unsprung weight is equivalent to 80 pounds of sprung weight. Add to that the rotational mass and it does make a pretty big impact on handling, acceleration and braking.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob P
I have been browsing and am looking into purchasing a new set of wheels for my c5z06

I am confused with wheel weights and there significance. For example a stock 18" speedline is roughly 21lbs if I recall, What would the benefit to find something that is light weight say 19-20lbs or a 3 piece?

Appreciate it.
A lighter wheel/tire combo even a few pounds makes a difference not only in performance but on your components.

If you damage a wheel, a 3-piece offers the possibility of fixing it cheaper as it may just need a simple rim replaced. It can also be resized with the inner/outer drums but rarely would one do this. One piece wheels used to be much heavier, but they come a long way.

What you want to avoid is a light wheel that isn't structurally sound for the track (or street for that matter). Don't get caught up in price, you usually get what you pay for.

Mike
Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For example a stock 18" speedline is roughly 21lbs if I recall
19.6 lb with no paint, 20.4 with paint.

in reality, it's very hard to find a same size aftermarket wheel that light
Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
19.6 lb with no paint, 20.4 with paint.

in reality, it's very hard to find a same size aftermarket wheel that light
unless it is not made in China. Light wheels out there they just cost than heavy crap from China.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How are the forgeline zx3r when comparing to the stock speedline? The weight seems to be the same or within 1lbs
Old 06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How are the forgeline zx3r when comparing to the stock speedline? The weight seems to be the same or within 1lbs
Forgelines are great rims. LG sells them.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There is a significant price difference so I would love to be informed. I understand a 5-10lbs weight difference makes a difference but a 2lbs?

Appreciate it.
that is 2 lbs of unspring wt or at 6 lbs sprong / 1 lb unspring

or about a 12 lb difference per wheel or 48 lbs total.

figure about 100 lbs per second a lap so your looking at may be 1/2 sec per lap. Rough approximation
Old 06-25-2011, 01:20 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Appreciate it.
Wheel weight is huge, why they sell $$$$ titanium lug nuts. But if you are not already a 10/10ths driver spend your money on track time.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel weight question

Quick Reply: wheel weight question