Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normal for a little brake fluid to come from bleed screw threads after bleeding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:16 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Normal for a little brake fluid to come from bleed screw threads after bleeding?

Have "new to me" Wilwood SL6Rs on the car and have been getting the car setup for VIR in October (will be the first time using them). I noticed that after bleeding, a little bit of fluid comes up from the threads and can be seen in the top of the brass insert that the bleed screw threads into and seats into. I cleaned them thoroughly and used compressed air and brake cleaner to get them 100% dry. On one of the bleed screws it came back again, then I cleaned again and it's been fine. I'm assuming this is fluid that gets up into the threads when the bleed screw is loosened to bleed? Nothing comes out of the top which leads me to believe the screw is seated and sealing properly.

In the past I've always had OEM C5 calipers with inboard bleed screws so I never check/see them again after bleeding and cleaning. Plus they have the OEM rubber boot which has the rubber collar that covers the base of the screw where it threads into the caliper body.

My father has Brembo 4-pots on his race car and he said he noticed the same thing and that it won't come back. Just wanting to double-check and make sure I don't have a potential problem as it will be a busy weekend doing comp school and racing.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I have no experience with the Wilwoods, but the bleed screw does not seal on the threads it seals on the taper. When you bleed them its not uncommon to see fluid come out the thread area as well (one of the reasons I dont like speed bleeders). As long as no more comes out in use I would say you are good.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I get the same thing on my Wilwoods, a slight seepage around the threads after bleeding. Not to worry. As long as the bleeder screw is seated properly, you will be fine. It's probably ****, but with the number of times I bleed in a season, I swap out bleeder screws at the end of every year.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Thanks for the confirmation
Old 09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

You're looking at what remains between the tapered seat the the top of the nipple is all. The bleed passage way is down near the base of that bleed screw.

Two thoughts however:
1. Rinse with water
2. Blow carefully or you'll be spraying brake fluid all over the car.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:00 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

I wiped with a paper towel then used my air gun to get the last little bit. I only cleaned it to that extent to monitor/test what was happening. The fluid being there doesn't concern me by itself... just wanted to make sure it wasn't a symptom of a bleed screw wearing out and not seating properly. I understand how bleed screws operate i.e. sealing with the tapered seat vs. threads. Thanks for backing up what everyone has said so I don't have to worry about it.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:52 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just loosen the bleed screw as the outer part is made to be replaced. Some have mistakenly loosened the part threaded into the aluminum.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:59 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Only loosening the bleed screw. I have the brass insert sealed with teflon tape. That's just there so you don't wear out the aluminum caliper body over time.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Speedbleeder sells some thread sealer you can reapply.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Only loosening the bleed screw. I have the brass insert sealed with teflon tape. That's just there so you don't wear out the aluminum caliper body over time.
some loosen that all the time too.

Get notified of new replies

To Normal for a little brake fluid to come from bleed screw threads after bleeding?

Quick Reply: Normal for a little brake fluid to come from bleed screw threads after bleeding?