Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AiM SOLO DL

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

A Solo DL cannot handle analog inputs.
You will need an MXL Pista, which gets pricey (esp w/GPS).
But at that price (incl GPS), a Race Technology setup makes much more sense.
I think a Race Tech DL-1 and the Dash 3+ or Dash 4Pro is the best setup for a C5 (and is what I use).
RacePak is good, but their VNet setup is unneccesarily pricey.
Traqmate is good, but no math channels, which will limit your analysis and force you to add a steering sensor since the stock sensor requires math processing on its two inputs to the datalogger. They do have good third party HD video integration.

Even if AIM has a file for the C5, it will not pick up brake pressure or steering angle since these are not run over the OBD2 bus, from what I understand (and I dug a bit).
Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
A Solo DL cannot handle analog inputs.
You will need an MXL Pista, which gets pricey (esp w/GPS).
But at that price (incl GPS), a Race Technology setup makes much more sense.
I think a Race Tech DL-1 and the Dash 3+ or Dash 4Pro is the best setup for a C5 (and is what I use).
RacePak is good, but their VNet setup is unneccesarily pricey.
Traqmate is good, but no math channels, which will limit your analysis and force you to add a steering sensor since the stock sensor requires math processing on its two inputs to the datalogger. They do have good third party HD video integration.

Even if AIM has a file for the C5, it will not pick up brake pressure or steering angle since these are not run over the OBD2 bus, from what I understand (and I dug a bit).
My car has the 2004 Z06 ECU and I am heavily considering the DL-1 and one of their display units. Sounds like you are pretty happy with it, right?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, very happy (I have an old DL-1 and a Dash 3+, going to a Dash 4Pro this year). You need to put in some time with the software to make full use of it (i.e. it is a "real" tool so there is a learning curve). This book is great and Race Tech has a seminar and I think an informative run through here

The only thing I don't like is that their video software does not support HD (yet, upgrade is in the works).

They are coming out with an updated Dash 2 (Dash 2Pro) which will have a build in DL-1 and highly customizeable display. I heard shipping in 6 weeks, so probl actually available in June or so.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I tried several different cofigurations of set-up on the Solo DL to make it work with the C5 ODB2. I could not get any of them to report any meaningful data at all. Mostly the Solo DL picks up no information at all from the ECU. I have tried the Chevrolet Cobalt setting, the only one for Chevrolet. I have tried the GM C6 Corvette LS2 config and nothing. I have tried at the suggestion of the AiM distributor to use try the ODB2, CAN and ISO configs and still nothing.

Some of our local T1 racers have purchased the Solo DL, mainly for use with the SmartyCam systems. If we get any ODB2 data that will be a plus.

On that front, we have two SCCA T1 regional races and a national this coming weekend at Auto Club Speedway in southern California. Several of us are running AiM systems. The distributor, who happens to be about 30 minutes from the track, is coming out this weekend to provide some assistance and coaching. He is aware of the broad use of C5 in racing from coast to coast. He is going to install some "undistributed" C5 configs for us to try out. I have told him I don't need every parameter to work, but a few key ones would be nice. Hopefully next week I will have som more tangible news and successful results to post.
Any final success with the solo dl and the c5?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Unfortunately the DL version at this time does not pull any meaningful data from ODB2 and I would not count on that changing in the future. It is does I will let you know.

The regular Solo works fine if you don't want the Smartycam integration that I have.
See the attached video for an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw3dX...71AUAAAAAAAAAA

Oli

Quick Reply: AiM SOLO DL