Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my first Track day

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Did my first Track day

Did my first track day last Friday at Summit Point Raceway on the main course.The first 2 sessions were in the rain it showed my flaws Glad I listened to my instructor and left the car in compitation mode.The last 2 sessions were dry and I used the paddle shifters which made for some good fun.

The staff and instructors were great and helpful.I'm already booked for my next track day in Nov

Glad I checked my ego at the gate. I won't mention the brands and models of cars that passed me, but I passed some cars also I think those were the ones in the pits.

From somebody thats never driven a car at high speeds and lateral G's my 07 base C6 auto is more than enough to learn performance driving. I know after more track time I'll be having a fast blast of a time

In a nut shell I got tired of watching the pack of cars go by from the stands/pits.Now I'm with pack of cars having a blast even if it's bringing up the rear for now.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great attitude!

There's something to be learned every time out no matter how high the skill level.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason

Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be smooth first speed will come practice heel toe shifting,get a harness and bar 1st. watch out on your 4th day (you might think your mario andretti and could get in over your head) start savin money your gona need it...welcome to the addiction my friend youll never look back!!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Did my first event earlier this year and it was a great time
Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 AM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was also at FATT last week, (silver C4) this was my second time out and first time driving hard in the wet on the NT05's. Its always a blast and I cant wait to get out there and do it again. The afternoon was perfect but I also had fun in the morning. The wet conditions really do help you to learn the car and concentrate on the line. My only complaint was that my camera quit working after the first two sessions, leaving the overtaking of my father before turn 10 only a memory.Nothing beats a day at the track, no matter what the weather.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Welcome to the addiction! Glad you kept your head straight about trying to go fast. Speed will come my friend!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Vette53
Instructor

Welcome to the addiction and congrats on the great attitude. Don't worry about the cars that pass you. You did all the right things by listening to your instructors. I recommend getting a ride with your instructor if you get the chance. All the things they are telling you really become clear when you sit in the passenger seat.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

riding with instructors is fanstastic .. especially if you're lucky enough to find one that has the exact same car as you and can really drive. happened to me this summer. c5z06. I was laughing the whole time from the passenger seat because it was so fun, then got out of the car shaking my head because I couldnt understand how he drove the same car about twice as fast as I did. seemed like twice anyhow ... congrats, have fun, keep the shiny side up.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Vette53
Instructor

RDnomorecobra:
riding with instructors is fanstastic .. especially if you're lucky enough to find one that has the exact same car as you and can really drive. happened to me this summer. c5z06. I was laughing the whole time from the passenger seat because it was so fun, then got out of the car shaking my head because I couldnt understand how he drove the same car about twice as fast as I did. seemed like twice anyhow ... congrats, have fun, keep the shiny side up.
Been there, done that.... I was about to say in my above post how every time I think I am getting pretty good, I take a ride with an instructor to see how much I don't know.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the addiction !! Summit main is a fun track and a great one for your first track experience. Seat time is the most important thing that you can get at this time. Resist the urge to mod the car with sticky tires, etc. Learn to use the full potential of the car stock and then when YOU are ready / capable, mod things. Seat Time - Seat Time - Seat Time -------
Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Who are you running with in November? I'll be there instructing and running TimeTrial with NASA the 5th and 6th
Old 10-19-2011, 01:30 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by V4kerker
Did my first track day last Friday at Summit Point Raceway on the main course.The first 2 sessions were in the rain it showed my flaws Glad I listened to my instructor and left the car in compitation mode.The last 2 sessions were dry and I used the paddle shifters which made for some good fun.

The staff and instructors were great and helpful.I'm already booked for my next track day in Nov

Glad I checked my ego at the gate. I won't mention the brands and models of cars that passed me, but I passed some cars also I think those were the ones in the pits.

From somebody thats never driven a car at high speeds and lateral G's my 07 base C6 auto is more than enough to learn performance driving. I know after more track time I'll be having a fast blast of a time

In a nut shell I got tired of watching the pack of cars go by from the stands/pits.Now I'm with pack of cars having a blast even if it's bringing up the rear for now.

I'll echo the welcome to the addiction sentiments already expressed. In vast quantities, you'll need money, patience, understanding from the family and vacation days. In return, you'll have an absolute blast, meet some great people and learn a thing or two. Not a bad deal.

[QUOTE=RDnomorecobra;1578997703]riding with instructors is fanstastic ...

and eye-opening. The 2 times I have rode shotgun with instructors, I almost wanted to give up immediately thereafter. The skill spread between me and Michael Jordan is probably closer. They're a great bunch though - haven't had a bad one yet.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:53 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Great Job

Congrats
Old 10-20-2011, 06:56 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm on track for Nov 18 and on the waiting list for the 4th. Group 1 seems to always sale out travisnd I'll be doing FATT on the 18th and hopefully the 4th. What is NASA on the5th and 6th?

CHJ your right about the mods. I went and had stainless steeel brake lines and Hawk hp plus pads put on in this summer.Now during some not so smooth hard braking the ABS activates. I'm just going to play with tire pressures right now. I was amazed the pressures went from 30 to 37 on a dry track running FS wide oval RF.

I missed out on the instructor demo session. I need to try and hook up with an instructor early next time. The day is busy especially for the instructors and goes by faster than you think.

The other thing I liked about the Track Day was how many vettes were there (C4,C5Z,C6Z and I think 1 ZR1.
My other goal for the future is to do track days with my 13 year old.I got to get him to SPK.I did SPK once this summer in the rain it was fun sliding and drifting those fast little karts.
Thanks Kurt 07 red vette
Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Great attitude!

There's something to be learned every time out no matter how high the skill level.
I concur

Get notified of new replies

To Did my first Track day

Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by V4kerker

CHJ your right about the mods. I went and had stainless steeel brake lines and Hawk hp plus pads put on in this summer.Now during some not so smooth hard braking the ABS activates. I'm just going to play with tire pressures right now. I was amazed the pressures went from 30 to 37 on a dry track running FS wide oval RF.

Thanks Kurt 07 red vette

Had the same thing happen to me during bedding when I added the Hawks HP+ pads. ABS would kick in @ 35mph! As suggested by several here, I tried some aggressive stops from ~100mph. ABS intervention did not occur @ that speed. When I took it to the track - no issues. Haven't had any either since. Seems it's just a much more aggressive compound, stopping the rotor more quickly than ABS is designed to allow. Doesn't happen @ stops from high speed, so they're fine on track.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:45 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the link to the NASA Nov 5-6 event at Summit Main.

http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=261

NASA is my favorite organization for track days (along with TrackDaze)
Old 10-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Vette53
Instructor

I will also vouch for NASA and TrackDaze. Both groups are really well run. I would add SCCA PDX in the mix of well run organizations. I ran SP Main with SCCA this year and had a great time.

Quick Reply: Did my first Track day