Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oli's Crazy "Flying Hood" Incident

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

No louvers allowed. Just consider the cars almost 100 % completely stock other than required safety mods and about a half dozen allowed upgrades such as stiffer springs, sway bars, shocks and additional coolers.

If the rules don't say you can do it, then you can't.

Oli
Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Technically those mods are not legal in T1. I think my hood was just old and tired. It has many years of racing history. This time last year I got hit real hard after my engine blew at Phoenix. The corner of the car was hit and the hood frame may have had a slight crack or separation in the epoxy. On top of that other track skirmishes don't have all my fenders and lights fitting all so well. I am sure that caused a lot of additional aero pressures on the hood. At the higher speeds we run at ACS she just gave way.

I am adding a hood frame inspection to my race preparation list. I don't expect this problem to happen again. I am not aware of it happening to anyone else either. I will monitor the integrity of my hood from now on just like I inspect the spokes of all my wheels when they get mounted on the car as well as the rotors for cracks, etc.

Oli
I was just thinking just for a DE day, not SCCA or NASA rules. To take some pressure off at high speed tracks.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:09 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

It's so rare that I wouldn't bother. Never heard of a hood failing like this. Anyone know of another?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
It's so rare that I wouldn't bother. Never heard of a hood failing like this. Anyone know of another?
I agree. I think mine was just worn and possibly compromised from racing incidents.

I do recommend adding it to a checklist to look for cracks on tracks of 130 MPH+.

Oli
Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think a few of you are looking for a solution to a problem that does not exists. Big surprise, you hit the pinata enough times stuff falls out. Anyone who has seen Oli's car in person would not be shocked that it ejected parts, it has been ridden hard - and it had a SM try to use the front end as a ramp last year. The wrap appears to be holding a lot of the car together. We have found the wrap to be nearly as effective as duct tape.

I will be no less surprised when Kyle's car starts to crap body parts all over the track.

FYI, the current GCR allows for hood pins in SS/T. When I did a header into a wall a few years back these kept the big pieces of my hood attached (and the wrap contained the small bits): http://www.coastfab.com/aerocatch.html

Last edited by RX7 KLR; 01-25-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oli's hood

I've never seen a hood go like that but I did see the roof blow off of Tim Hund's corvette along the pit straight at VIR about 4 or 5 years ago. That thing went up very high but fortunately also went off the track just before the starters stand. On inspection later we found that the glue gave up.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by racerbob4
I've never seen a hood go like that but I did see the roof blow off of Tim Hund's corvette along the pit straight at VIR about 4 or 5 years ago. That thing went up very high but fortunately also went off the track just before the starters stand. On inspection later we found that the glue gave up.
C6? The early C6Z06s had issues with the adhesive coming lose and the roof panel coming off. Having take the roof off a couple C5s I can't see that epoxy ever coming loose on it's own. Plus, they're bolted in the front and rear.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
C6? The early C6Z06s had issues with the adhesive coming lose and the roof panel coming off. Having take the roof off a couple C5s I can't see that epoxy ever coming loose on it's own. Plus, they're bolted in the front and rear.
Has to be the c6, the c5z roof only comes of with a sawzall.

Quick Reply: Oli's Crazy "Flying Hood" Incident