Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran Homestead this Weekend - Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:26 AM
OneFasTT997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran Homestead this Weekend - Video

Figured I would post a couple vids here. Additionally, I am looking for some feedback because I can do data and videos two ways but the gopro overlay takes much much longer. If you watch them in HD, is it a big enough difference to be worth the extra effort?

The first is recorded on my iphone using harry's laptimer so its a bit fuzzy and shaky but you can make out that I am trying to catch a C6 Z06 to no avail.

The second one is me having fun with a friend of mine going back and forth with the lead as we run the course.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 AM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You just need someone to help you fine tune your lines. I see 3 to 4 seconds you can shave off your lap times, but it's a little in every corner and specially on the banking.
Some of your lines are good, but you missed the apex in several as well as being late entering some corners.
A little at a time will get you there, don't try to fix it all in one lap.

See if this video helps you any:
http://youtu.be/ttVr_4CCdZI
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Listen to Henry!! take it one corner at a time. Times improve with more track time, also if you can get a good coach to ride with you. Henry road with me at Sebring 2 years ago and really helped me improve my times just by pointing out little things in each corner. JD
Old 06-19-2012, 08:49 AM
msracing
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Homestead

I think you did well ,, i only watched the second video and seem like you hit your marks,,, maybe a little early in 5-6 i like to wait a little longer before i make the turn in on 6 as that place will bite you if you exit to early ,, you put a wheel of on the exit and most people try to fight it back on the track and what happen is they go off spinning across the track in to the opposite wall....

Homestead is fun and technical you can gain and loose time depending on how you drive it ... I instruct there a lot plus i have been racing there since it opened,, everything from Formula fords, sports 2000, Atlantic,Tran/Am and many other in between . to me rolling speed thru the corners is key .. and all that will be dictated buy the car and the level of grip ... so just keep enjoying driving Homestead,,, it a great facility and lots of fun to drive ,, ,, seat time is whats it all about..!!!

if you need some help look me ...

Regards...Manny Sanchez
305-333-4445
Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 AM
OneFasTT997
Instructor

Originally Posted by sgsvette
You just need someone to help you fine tune your lines. I see 3 to 4 seconds you can shave off your lap times, but it's a little in every corner and specially on the banking.
Some of your lines are good, but you missed the apex in several as well as being late entering some corners.
A little at a time will get you there, don't try to fix it all in one lap.

See if this video helps you any:
http://youtu.be/ttVr_4CCdZI
Thanks, 3 to 4 seconds would be fantastic! I'll check it out but do you think some of the lines (like turn 4) are a bit different in a stock Z06 with the original suspension vs a Daytona prototype.

Originally Posted by msracing
I think you did well ,, i only watched the second video and seem like you hit your marks,,, maybe a little early in 5-6 i like to wait a little longer before i make the turn in on 6 as that place will bite you if you exit to early ,, you put a wheel of on the exit and most people try to fight it back on the track and what happen is they go off spinning across the track in to the opposite wall....

Homestead is fun and technical you can gain and loose time depending on how you drive it ... I instruct there a lot plus i have been racing there since it opened,, everything from Formula fords, sports 2000, Atlantic,Tran/Am and many other in between . to me rolling speed thru the corners is key .. and all that will be dictated buy the car and the level of grip ... so just keep enjoying driving Homestead,,, it a great facility and lots of fun to drive ,, ,, seat time is whats it all about..!!!

if you need some help look me ...

Regards...Manny Sanchez
305-333-4445
I appreciate the feedback and I will keep your info for when and if I decide to get professional coaching! This was my third time at this track and only the second time with the banking so I have a lot to learn still!

I did drop both one and two wheels off in 6 and countered it both times. I had one of the PCA instructors in the car trying to help me sort out turn 8 and he was pleased with the response and the reaction time. I can see how jerking the wheel back would be very bad though!

That said, I blew turn 1 the first day and ended up almost in Nascar 2 before heading back to the pavement. That was an experience but it was surprisingly smooth.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 AM
sgsvette
Pro

Originally Posted by OneFasTT997
Thanks, 3 to 4 seconds would be fantastic! I'll check it out but do you think some of the lines (like turn 4) are a bit different in a stock Z06 with the original suspension vs a Daytona prototype. .
If you are going by my video, yes they are a little different because I spun the tires going through 3 and got a little offline for the entry to 4. (Still good for a 1:19)
I have driven Corvette's since 1999 and particularly C5Z06's. Your line through 3 and approaching 4 was good, but you were to far to the left entering 4 and your exit was too tight. You need to let the car run all the way out to the right so as not to scrub speed off with the long straightaway in front of you.
Talking about it will give you a general idea, but no substitute for "instant feedback". I run Hooked on Driving and we will be there next Saturday June 30th. Come out if you can and spend the day with us, you get six 25 minute sessions in a day and a catered lunch for $299.
I will personally take you around for a couple of laps and then ride with you for a couple of laps. I don't often ride with drivers, but if I'm in the mood I'll do it. No charge. Most pro-instructors will charge you up to $1,500 for the day.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:17 AM
OneFasTT997
Instructor

If you are going by my video, yes they are a little different because I spun the tires going through 3 and got a little offline for the entry to 4. (Still good for a 1:19)
I have driven Corvette's since 1999 and particularly C5Z06's. Your line through 3 and approaching 4 was good, but you were to far to the left entering 4 and your exit was too tight. You need to let the car run all the way out to the right so as not to scrub speed off with the long straightaway in front of you.
Talking about it will give you a general idea, but no substitute for "instant feedback". I run Hooked on Driving and we will be there next Saturday June 30th. Come out if you can and spend the day with us, you get six 25 minute sessions in a day and a catered lunch for $299.
I will personally take you around for a couple of laps and then ride with you for a couple of laps. I don't often ride with drivers, but if I'm in the mood I'll do it. No charge. Most pro-instructors will charge you up to $1,500 for the day.
Thanks for the offer! I see what you mean about pinching the exit to 5 but I would love to get the instant feedback! Let me figure out how to make it that event and I will confirm with you.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:47 PM
gtpvette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Come out if you can and spend the day with us, you get six 25 minute sessions in a day and a catered lunch for $299.
Do you take complete rookies as I'd like to give this a go at some point??
Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 PM
sgsvette
Pro

Originally Posted by gtpvette
Do you take complete rookies as I'd like to give this a go at some point??
Yes we do, and we assign an instructor to you at no extra charge.

http://www.hookedondriving.com
Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 PM
msracing
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFasTT997
Thanks, 3 to 4 seconds would be fantastic! I'll check it out but do you think some of the lines (like turn 4) are a bit different in a stock Z06 with the original suspension vs a Daytona prototype.

I appreciate the feedback and I will keep your info for when and if I decide to get professional coaching! This was my third time at this track and only the second time with the banking so I have a lot to learn still!

I did drop both one and two wheels off in 6 and countered it both times. I had one of the PCA instructors in the car trying to help me sort out turn 8 and he was pleased with the response and the reaction time. I can see how jerking the wheel back would be very bad though!

That said, I blew turn 1 the first day and ended up almost in Nascar 2 before heading back to the pavement. That was an experience but it was surprisingly smooth.
Well if you come back to Homestead, look me up,,, i have a few guys i coach/ instruct at different events and clubs.... I don't charge for my time,, i do it for fun.. most of the time i will be in a C6 track vette silver #7 or helping someone around the track

Next week Henry ( sgsvette ) will be hosting a hooked on driving event on Sat 30 we plan on being there .. come on down.. have some fun... Henry is a great guy and puts on a awesome event....

Regards...Manny
Old 06-19-2012, 11:46 PM
OneFasTT997
Instructor

I was teetering on the edge of going to VIR next week but I am goin to come hang out with the two of you instead! I'll sign up it the morning.

Get notified of new replies

To Ran Homestead this Weekend - Video

Quick Reply: Ran Homestead this Weekend - Video