Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor build

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:11 PM
930man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor build

If you were going to build new track motor with 550 whp dry sump ..
Any specific things you would do or ask for?
Things to stay away from? Just curious .. Would like strong motor at least two seasons out if it..
Any specific builders?
This is a track car
Old 07-21-2012, 10:58 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Any specific class of racing? Location?

I just had a 615 fwhp with a 4 stage dry sump built by Nutter Racing Engines.

Forged 416 stroker. LS3 4.06 x 4.00 stroke. I used Trickflow 225 heads that I already had, but you could increase hp by using ported LS3 heads.

I had a special cam designed by Louis at LG Motorsports, .619/.619 lift. Definitely not good street manners.

On the engine dyno it had more than 520 ftlbs of torque starting at 3500 rpm, peaking at 580.

Motor builder told me to bring the dry sump pump for him to check after every season, but expected that I should get 6 seasons before major rebuild on the motor.

PM me if you want any more info.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR

Forged 416 stroker. LS3 4.06 x 4.00 stroke. I used Trickflow 225 heads that I already had, but you could increase hp by using ported LS3 heads.

I had a special cam designed by Louis at LG Motorsports, .619/.619 lift. Definitely not good street manners.

On the engine dyno it had more than 520 ftlbs of torque starting at 3500 rpm, peaking at 580.

Motor builder told me to bring the dry sump pump for him to check after every season, but expected that I should get 6 seasons before major rebuild on the motor.

A) how many races/seasons have you gotten so far, and
B) How much $
Old 07-22-2012, 01:38 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
A) how many races/seasons have you gotten so far, and
B) How much $
Brand new motor. Haven't even got it to the track yet. Hoping to put some time on it next month and run its first race at The Ridge, in Shelton, Washington. (I am also doing a major chassis rebuild so everything is taking longer...)

AC Nutter has been building race engine for more than 30 years. He also manufactures his own dry sump pumps at his shop in Vancouver, Wa.

My build was about $10k but I supplied the cam, injectors and heads. If you had AC supply those items and his ported heads, you would be between 12 and 13k.

You can find out info about AC at nutterracingengines.com

Old 07-22-2012, 03:28 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I always am intrigued with the number of seasons or years folks want on these motors that are tricked out.

6 seasons = how much time total on-track driving hard time? I'd take a guess at less than 75 hours and be.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:04 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rbl
I always am intrigued with the number of seasons or years folks want on these motors that are tricked out.

6 seasons = how much time total on-track driving hard time? I'd take a guess at less than 75 hours and be.
I don't know what is so "tricked out.?" Top quality forged and balanced rotating assembly, ported heads, less than 12:1 compression running on pump gas.

It does not mean that I won't check oil for undo wear or evaluate the heads every year. I consider that to be preventative maintenance. What the builder was referring to was rebuild of the short block and rotating assembly.

For comparison purposes, a typical season for me is usually 12, 40 minute races (with the associated practice and qualifying sessions) two test and tune days, and a track day for my friends and sponsors.

This is a dedicated track car so it doesn't get driven on the street.

There is no guarantee, I just passed along the comments that the engine builder (who is familiar with my racing schedule) made for benefit of the OP.

You're experience may be different.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:20 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

This sounds like an excellent road race, club racing motor. That is more torque than a Trans Am SB2 motor. (although they make a couple hundred more HP). Crazy torque, low rpm, pump gas........doesn't get much better.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:07 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bosco022
This sounds like an excellent road race, club racing motor. That is more torque than a Trans Am SB2 motor. (although they make a couple hundred more HP). Crazy torque, low rpm, pump gas........doesn't get much better.

You are correct. The engine builder and Louis at LG both knew my application and did a great job selecting components to match. However, the cam is really the key. I was interested more in torque than peak hp and the result was exactly what I asked for.

I really can't wait to get it on the track, although my fabricator and son suggest that I wear a pair of "depends" as they expect me to wet myself.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 PM
930man
Instructor

I don't know what is so "tricked out.?" Top quality forged and balanced rotating assembly, ported heads, less than 12:1 compression running on pump gas.

It does not mean that I won't check oil for undo wear or evaluate the heads every year. I consider that to be preventative maintenance. What the builder was referring to was rebuild of the short block and rotating assembly.

For comparison purposes, a typical season for me is usually 12, 40 minute races (with the associated practice and qualifying sessions) two test and tune days, and a track day for my friends and sponsors.

There is no guarantee, I just passed along the comments that the engine builder (who is familiar with my racing schedule) made for benefit of the OP.

thank you looks like a good base line!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 AM
rbl
Drifting

Tricked out simply means it has been built to get way too much power. There is always a price and trade for that. Now you've re-qualified that to the short block which may run awhile.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 AM
930man
Instructor

I am looking to build a strong motor that puts a good amount of power and torque.. and example to compare would be id rather have a good old labrador retriever than a wound up Greyhound .. both great dogs but in this world engines need to last... the M3 motor we had built is an estimated 100 hr motor with is reasonable..

I have a great car, Just don't want motor issues.. or at least keep them to a minimum
Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

race car engine build, contract the experts to build you one:

Schwank
http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/

Golen
http://www.golenengineservice.com/en...s-race-engines

Katech
http://www.katechengines.com/perform...gine-packages/

HKE also build road race engines
http://store.hkracingengines.com/ind...d3b6ebfac4a9fe
Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by 930man
I am looking to build a strong motor that puts a good amount of power and torque.. and example to compare would be id rather have a good old labrador retriever than a wound up Greyhound .. both great dogs but in this world engines need to last... the M3 motor we had built is an estimated 100 hr motor with is reasonable..

I have a great car, Just don't want motor issues.. or at least keep them to a minimum
You have managed to seize on my underlying point with a great analogy.

Most folks only race maybe 6 times a year with OCCOMSRAZOR being the apparent exception. Even at that schedule, in 6 years (which the motor won't make without a LOT of "maintenance" the cost will run a minimum of $75/hr. .... just for the engine.

In reality, however, most of these "tricked out" engines will only run 50-75 hrs, hard, and the true cost will be more than $100/hr. Makes brake pads and tires suddenly "inexpensive". And unfortunately, you probably won't get around much, if any, faster with a 650 Hp engine than you will with a 450 Hp engine unless you are at the top of your class and driving to the limit as in 11/10ths.

I'd stick with the old lab and in the end have a winner and a lot more fun along the way.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

<<<<<< Greyhounds are cooler than Labs, though.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:50 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson

Keep in mind there are no OLD Greyhounds still racing!!! But my old Lab is still hunting!!!!!!!!!! LOL! JD
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Keep in mind there are no OLD Greyhounds still racing!!! But my old Lab is still hunting!!!!!!!!!! LOL! JD
He earned his retirement after winning $17,000.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Exactly

Get notified of new replies

To Motor build

Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 AM
930man
Instructor

Lol!!! That is pretty funny... Sorry dude wasn't dissin your dog!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:58 AM
930man
Instructor

He earned his retirement after winning $17,000.
Very nice
Old 07-24-2012, 11:00 AM
930man
Instructor

Thank you will look at !!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
race car engine build, contract the experts to build you one:
Thank you will look at!
Schwank
http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/

Golen