Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've never seen this - Help me diagnose brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default I've never seen this - Help me diagnose brake issue

Hey fellas, need a keen eye to help me. These are track only brake pads on a 2005 Z51 base model. Carbotech XP-20 with 3 track days on them. The configuration is exactly as shown in the first pic - the bend pads are inside only.

Overheating? I run with the nannies on with Hoosier R6's, but only see AH kick on a couple times per session. I have DRM SS pistons, SS brake lines, Motul RBF 600 fluid, Quantum fog light cooling on stock Z51 calipers.

Thoughts? I've never seen or even heard about the leading edge bending back like this.

I plan on sending these pics to Carbotech Adam tonight but I think the long term solution may be a BBK.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
Hey fellas, need a keen eye to help me. These are track only brake pads on a 2005 Z51 base model. Carbotech XP-20 with 3 track days on them. The configuration is exactly as shown in the first pic - the bend pads are inside only.

Overheating? I run with the nannies on with Hoosier R6's, but only see AH kick on a couple times per session. I have DRM SS pistons, SS brake lines, Motul RBF 600 fluid, Quantum fog light cooling on stock Z51 calipers.

Thoughts? I've never seen or even heard about the leading edge bending back like this.

I plan on sending these pics to Carbotech Adam tonight but I think the long term solution may be a BBK.
Looks to me like the pads are binding on the caliper. Caliper is obviously working. Something happened on your last installation. The tabs are obviously not sliding within the clips on one end. I'll have to take another look at my calipers to see what the heck is going on there.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I would guess that the inner pads were hanging up and not free to move in and out in the caliper body. Once you got heat in the backing plate it would not be hard to permanently deform them.

Did you have a really spongy pedal to start out with?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by robvuk
Looks to me like the pads are binding on the caliper. Caliper is obviously working. Something happened on your last installation. The tabs are obviously not sliding within the clips on one end. I'll have to take another look at my calipers to see what the heck is going on there.
The tabs were lubricated with antisieze before the most recent track day. I will check the clips before heading out again this weekend.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I would guess that the inner pads were hanging up and not free to move in and out in the caliper body. Once you got heat in the backing plate it would not be hard to permanently deform them.

Did you have a really spongy pedal to start out with?
Lubricated the tabs before the most recent track day. The pedal felt slightly long (I hear that's normal with stock calipers) and just a bit spongy but never felt like the fluid was ready to boil. The pads were about 60-70% before the latest track day and these last 4 sessions were pretty intense. Pedal, although not completely firm, was consistent all day - never got noticeably worse as the day progressed.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I literally just did that to a set of pads on a Miata. What I found (tonight) was the inner pad was hanging up on the anti-rattle clip inside the caliper. I replaced the clip with a good one and rebent the pad (street pad).

Obviously different car and different calipers, but as the folks above stated, you may have had something similar going on.

-Kevin
Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Pads don't fit calipers or install error.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by froggy47
Pads don't fit calipers or install error.

These pads have been in he calipers twice before with no issue. They moved freely during install and were lubricated. They also fell right out, no binding whatsoever - that's why I'm so baffled.

I'm gonna take the clips off today after work to look for signs of binding or other damage. I'd really like to find the smoking gun here so I can explain it to myself.

Thanks for the input so far.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Might be time to replace the caliper.

When my pads start to look like that, the caliper has spread, and I replace the calipers.
about every other year, or 20 track events.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I swap back and forth track pads to street pads on my M3. I ruined a set of used track pads one time compressing them with a C clamp: I compress while still fully assembled, its just quicker, not necessarily better obviously... They hung up and the inside and bent both ears on the inside pad. Maybe a similar situation here? Just throwing it out there.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

They definitely got hung up in the caliper, no doubt about that. We have seen this before, it can happen for any number of reasons. The pistons not properly or fully retracting, debris getting in the way, knock-back leading to the pads getting cocked in the caliper, etc..... You need to take a good look at his calipers and be sure they aren't having a problem and that there are no issues in the contact area's where the pad touches the caliper. It produces a TREMENDOUS amount of heat, which softens the backing plates and leads to the pistons bending the backing plate and cracking the friction material.

On a side note your new pads shipped yesterday.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 10-23-2012, 12:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

These pads have been in he calipers twice before with no issue. They moved freely during install and were lubricated. They also fell right out, no binding whatsoever - that's why I'm so baffled.

I'm gonna take the clips off today after work to look for signs of binding or other damage. I'd really like to find the smoking gun here so I can explain it to myself.

Thanks for the input so far.
Compare the dimension of the backing plate and pad material on the bent pad to a stock pad. Put both in the caliper, one at a time, compare the fit, free play. Check clips/hardware.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I had this happen to my right rear XP10 at RD ATL back in Apr. Soft pedal with reduce braking making me think it was a fluid thing. Flushed brakes with no improvement. Did the rest of my weekend with soft pedal. When I went to repl with street pads, it looked just like yours. I assumed I had installed wrong. Hasn't happened since.

Adam - if it is a manufacturing defect, I can pm you my address so you can send me the repl set as I had to throw mine away.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jerrytx
I swap back and forth track pads to street pads on my M3. I ruined a set of used track pads one time compressing them with a C clamp: I compress while still fully assembled, its just quicker, not necessarily better obviously... They hung up and the inside and bent both ears on the inside pad. Maybe a similar situation here? Just throwing it out there.
Nope, I pushed the calipers back without the pads installed. Good thought.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:59 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by waddisme
I had this happen to my right rear XP10 at RD ATL back in Apr. Soft pedal with reduce braking making me think it was a fluid thing. Flushed brakes with no improvement. Did the rest of my weekend with soft pedal. When I went to repl with street pads, it looked just like yours. I assumed I had installed wrong. Hasn't happened since.

Adam - if it is a manufacturing defect, I can pm you my address so you can send me the repl set as I had to throw mine away.
I will be extra cautious on this next set during install, being sure to lubricate everything well and check for free, unrestricted movement.

And I had to pay for new pads, no freebies here. It would be nice though.

Adam, care to be my sponser? I won't go broke and will give your pads a run for their money, lol!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:02 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by froggy47
Compare the dimension of the backing plate and pad material on the bent pad to a stock pad. Put both in the caliper, one at a time, compare the fit, free play. Check clips/hardware.

Will do, thanks. The wierd thing is that they had been installed twice before in these calipers with no issues.

On to bigger and better brakes after this next track day I think. Started shopping around this morning, just didn't have time to buy and install before this weekend. Hopefully the calipers and new pads can hang on for one more event!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I will be extra cautious on this next set during install, being sure to lubricate everything well and check for free, unrestricted movement.

And I had to pay for new pads, no freebies here. It would be nice though.

Adam, care to be my sponser? I won't go broke and will give your pads a run for their money, lol!!!
When you FIX your caliper problem, lets see how the new set looks after this weekend

Get notified of new replies

To I've never seen this - Help me diagnose brake issue

Old 10-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by waddisme

No problem PM me your CC info
Old 10-23-2012, 04:54 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
When you FIX your caliper problem, lets see how the new set looks after this weekend
Does that mean you'll sponsor me? Count me in!!!

Thanks for sending the new set so quickly. I will try to get temp info and get measurements and pics after this weekend.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Does that mean you'll sponsor me? Count me in!!!

Thanks for sending the new set so quickly. I will try to get temp info and get measurements and pics after this weekend.
I don't make those calls, but I will be happy to send you some stickers

Quick Reply: I've never seen this - Help me diagnose brake issue