Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Default Trailer insurance

I just purchased my first ever insurance policy for a trailer. It's only around six dollars per month to cover collision theft. I wonder if any of you have had similar situations or ever had any accidents.

I am mostly concerned with theft, since I have enclosed featherlite
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I just purchased my first ever insurance policy for a trailer. It's only around six dollars per month to cover collision theft. I wonder if any of you have had similar situations or ever had any accidents.

David,

Theft of the trailer or theft of the contents as well?

Many trailer policies only cover the trailer itself and a separate policy is needed for contents depending on what the items are.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That's a good question, my main concern was the trailer itself. I don't keep anything. Valuable inside regularly.

I hope to be able to store it indoors in my new shop, but unjust wanted to point out the affordability if coverage
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The only similar situation is that I recently purchased trailer insurance.
It is a bit more expensive ($200/year) for an LQ. That did not include theft of interior stuff, which will be covered by the race car insurance (pit/paddock/travel).
Old 04-08-2013, 10:52 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

I recently had my trailer stolen with everything for racing in it except for the car. I had a policy for the trailer only on my auto insurance which paid for the declared value minus the deductible. The contents were covered under my home owners insurance which was at replacement cost. I had a detailed list of everything in the trailer which I supplied to the adjuster. They went over the list verified currrent prices and sent me a check for replacement value less the deductible.

Key is to have a very detailed inventory of your trailer with receipts if possible. For the items that I did not have a receipt for they researched repalcement cost and paid that. Very painless process other than having to repalce everything, tools , parts , wheels, tires etc.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
I recently had my trailer stolen with everything for racing in it except for the car. I had a policy for the trailer only on my auto insurance which paid for the declared value minus the deductible. The contents were covered under my home owners insurance which was at replacement cost. I had a detailed list of everything in the trailer which I supplied to the adjuster. They went over the list verified currrent prices and sent me a check for replacement value less the deductible.

Key is to have a very detailed inventory of your trailer with receipts if possible. For the items that I did not have a receipt for they researched repalcement cost and paid that. Very painless process other than having to repalce everything, tools , parts , wheels, tires etc.
This is the usual standard for insurance policies. I've never looked into a trailer only policy as the trailer and contents were already covered by existing policies.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm shopping Havety's and Allstate. I've had Allstate in the past for the trailer: everything ON it to while towing etc.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Shoot some pictures of the inside of your trailer just before going to an event and record what you have in the trailer. So that if it is stolen, you can remember what you had inside for the insurance adjuster. JD
Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Shoot some pictures of the inside of your trailer just before going to an event and record what you have in the trailer. So that if it is stolen, you can remember what you had inside for the insurance adjuster. JD
Smart & easy.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:03 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Not a bad idea to do for your house also.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I was going to confirm what was already said....my homeowners covers the contents of the trailer, with $1000 deductible.

We had an issue this year with our homeowners though...we had 2 claims over the last 5 years, one of them was a zero payout (had roof checked after extensive hail storms a few years back). Almost every company we quoted with denied coverage due to the zero-payout claims. Like health insurance, it's gotten to the point where you better not use your insurance unless you cannot afford not to (and CAN afford to lose insurance in the future)

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer insurance

Quick Reply: Trailer insurance