Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Raybestos ST43 Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 01:19 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortcutsleeping
Just a data point that might be useful to folks having double-duty cars.

Wendy at Porterfield explained to me that the Porterfield street pads and the Raybestos race pads share some of the same material and recommended I try just doing pad swaps between street/track. Typically I had kept a set of rotors and pads for street and another set of pads/rotors for track because rotor sharing always ended badly with other brands/types.

With the ST43 and the R-4S, I have swapped pads only several times now with no problems.

Yes, on full race cars, I run 47s, but on a double duty car, the 43 has been fantastic.

Maybe this option will work for some of you.

Costas
cars and such...
Though I swapped pads and rotors on my Z back in the day when I tracked it, I was also lazy and would occasionally DD the ST43 pads. I had zero performance complaints, even in the winter. At worst they performed as bad as a regular old street pad, but typically they still sucked your eyeballs out of their sockets but were noisy when cold and dusty AF.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Bearpo1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Do you have the OEM brakes with padlets? I also tried ST43s with those brakes back in the day, and the noise drove me crazy! Later, I switched to StopTech BBKs front and back with ST43s, and all was good.

One observation I had was that when it squeaks, it's usually the rears.
Yes i have stock calipers. You are saying they make that big of a difference? Do the single st43 pads make as much noise as the padlets? And where can i find them. Thanks

One of my instructors is running a stock 2013 zo6 with st43s and dba t2s and no noise what soever
Old 02-12-2019, 08:33 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Have you taken a drill with wire brush and really clean the back of the pads where they make contact with the pistons, then brush on Permatex anti squeal to the back of the pads and let it dry before assembly?Also keeps the pads from rattling if they are little undersized in the caliper. I run them at the track, non of the crazy noises like yours BUT around town they will make noise at every stop light
Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tw78911sc
I run them at the track, non of the crazy noises like yours BUT around town they will make noise at every stop light
And that dust you see; that's your rotor. The ST43 is NOT a street pad....noise, dust, wear...ditch them and put in normal street pads like you should be running.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:18 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
And that dust you see; that's your rotor. The ST43 is NOT a street pad....noise, dust, wear...ditch them and put in normal street pads like you should be running.
Your right I do, get lazy a day or two after a track weekend
Old 02-13-2019, 12:58 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Have you taken a drill with wire brush and really clean the back of the pads where they make contact with the pistons, then brush on Permatex anti squeal to the back of the pads and let it dry before assembly?Also keeps the pads from rattling if they are little undersized in the caliper. I run them at the track, non of the crazy noises like yours BUT around town they will make noise at every stop light
good tip.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts

I bought a tube of that stuff but have never used it. How does it keep stuff quiet? Or should I say, what kinds of noises does it eliminate?
Old 02-16-2019, 10:05 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Creates a silicon barrier between back of pad and caliper pistons, keeps pads from rattling and reduces screeching. I used to just brush the stuff on wet and assemble, but then the stuff can stick to brake dust boots and the 1st time you drive the piston push the material out of the way. If you let it dry before installing pads it works great

Quick Reply: My Raybestos ST43 Experience