Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PICS: Nascar Cup Brembo's for tube frame Vette & AP's for C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default PICS: Nascar Cup Brembo's for tube frame Vette & AP's for C6

I am Using Nascar Cup Brembo's on my tube frame C3 build and compared them to a front set of aftermarket AP's that came off a C6 HPDE car. I picked up the Brembo's for a VERY reasonable sum.

Not passing judgement on the AP's, I am sure they work well for the application but was struck by the obvious differences.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:05 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I know a good home for those big ***** when you decide you don't want them any more.

People like to rip on NASCAR, but when it comes to stopping big, heavy cars in a hurry they have some serious equipment.

Be it AP, Brembo, Raybestos, Alcon, Wilwood... they all have absolutely awesome packages out there.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:52 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I know a good home for those big ***** when you decide you don't want them any more.

People like to rip on NASCAR, but when it comes to stopping big, heavy cars in a hurry they have some serious equipment.

Be it AP, Brembo, Raybestos, Alcon, Wilwood... they all have absolutely awesome packages out there.

Yep, and every package is made for a 15" wheel with a rotor at least 1" wide. Which means the package is wider than tall and won't fit most OEM spindles. 60+ years of brake development constrained by a steel wheel that hasn't changed at all.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:51 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

what if a spacer was added behind the hub/bearing assembly, and then the extra clearance used to make a deeper hat for the rotor?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
what if a spacer was added behind the hub/bearing assembly, and then the extra clearance used to make a deeper hat for the rotor?

The old adage is true... with enough skill, time, and money you can make it happen.

I'm not really sure why the beef that they won't fit OEM spindles straight off of a Cup car. They aren't an OEM brake by any stretch. They are a purpose designed setup for a specific geometry and rule package. The only reason that calipers like the AP 8350, the Stoptech setups, and others fit an OEM spindle is because in the grand scheme of racing calipers, they are pretty narrow. Somebody designed a bracket that made it work and manufactured hats with the correct geometry.

I would venture to say that without significantly widening the car, you aren't going to get a caliper that wide to fit. If you mount it inward, you will have issues with the inner fender and outward, calipers like the 8350 barely have clearance... much less a caliper almost twice as wide.

I'm guessing you probably aren't fitting these on an OEM spindled Vette either...

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 10-29-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To PICS: Nascar Cup Brembo's for tube frame Vette & AP's for C6

Quick Reply: PICS: Nascar Cup Brembo's for tube frame Vette & AP's for C6