Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race on 200 UTG! Square or Staggered-how would your set up differ from slicks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:34 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I think someone missed putting in a year limit on the CAM class. I would expect that to happen shortly.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Matt Feeney
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hklvette
FWIW, I think someone missed putting in a year limit on the CAM class. I would expect that to happen shortly.
agreed i was a little surprised about that too
Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal
For what it's worth c5's hate it when you push the fronts out wide for autocross. Track the benefits are worth it.

Unfortunately for street tire classes the tire make itself is critical. A rival will be solid. Most of the best 200 track tires don't come in better sizes. Wish they'd make a 345 or 355 rival though.

Bottom line for that class you are probably looking at 335 all the way around.
But not on 17 inch CCW's which is what I have.

Originally Posted by Ramo7769
Would you mind explaining your thoughts on that a bit further? Have you run square for autocross and track? I would think you would want the car more loose, with more front grip, for autocross than for the track.

I have seen Super Stock C5 Z06s running 315 A6s square with a big front bar successfully in SCCA Solo Nationals.
SS requires the same width wheel as stock. So anyone running in SS would have to run a staggered 17/18 combo.

I hope they keep this class alive!

It allows guys to literally "Run what you brung"... I would like to move the UTG closer to 300 but 200 is acceptable.

Some of us have multiple hobbies and to have to buy two sets of tires per season to be competitive takes a strain on most budgets.

This class let's a guy with a bad *** car pull up in pure street rim and measure himself against the others.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramo7769
Would you mind explaining your thoughts on that a bit further? Have you run square for autocross and track? I would think you would want the car more loose, with more front grip, for autocross than for the track.

I have seen Super Stock C5 Z06s running 315 A6s square with a big front bar successfully in SCCA Solo Nationals.

yes, cramming a bigger tire on the stock wheel you are not changing the offset, and not really creating the problem I am talking about.

I can't quantify it, but i know that for some reason related probably to the scrub and ackermann, c5's don't like high steering angles with wider offset front wheels. it was noticeable. and i am not the only one that noticed it.... i noticed that gary thomason used to keep the fronts tucked up tight under his Street Prepared car back in the day, and he is as good an expert as there is.

at some point sheer grip might overcome that issue, but in his opinion and mine, for autocross, we both chose to leave some front tire on the table. and we both have some championships to back up the thought process.

the c6 for various reasons doesnt really work as well as the c5 for autocross anyway, so cram as much tire as you can on it.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Since you are running a street tire and not a competition tire, the tire size becomes for important. Also some of the street tires have extremely stiff sidewalls compared to others. You might check with Luke at tirerack, he has extensive knowledge on autocrossing with street tires and sizes for rims and a good knowledge of what works best on a Corvette.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yes, cramming a bigger tire on the stock wheel you are not changing the offset, and not really creating the problem I am talking about.

I can't quantify it, but i know that for some reason related probably to the scrub and ackermann, c5's don't like high steering angles with wider offset front wheels. it was noticeable. and i am not the only one that noticed it.... i noticed that gary thomason used to keep the fronts tucked up tight under his Street Prepared car back in the day, and he is as good an expert as there is.

at some point sheer grip might overcome that issue, but in his opinion and mine, for autocross, we both chose to leave some front tire on the table. and we both have some championships to back up the thought process.

the c6 for various reasons doesnt really work as well as the c5 for autocross anyway, so cram as much tire as you can on it.

Especially about the C6.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the input. I ultimately want a setup that will be better on the track so I'm going to try square Z06 rears. with 5mm spacers on the front, it will be -1mm from stock. I did that to leave scrub radius (mostly) unchanged.

I could see widening the track width up front causing some issues. Beyond changing the dynamics, you would need more ackermann to compensate since the paths the left and right wheels follow are now even further apart.

I would also think, in addition to not modifying front track width and scrub radius, one may also want more toe-out up front to simulate more ackermann for lower speed cornering.

Some of these things I mentioned are part of the reasoning for making my car more catered toward the track. I feel like a Corvette at an autocross is like flying a helicopter through a shopping mall. But, I know they perform well and still have a lot of potential in that venue.

Anyway, more insight would be appreciated. I don't have a lot of experience tuning or competing with the C5, let alone championships. I'm just a nerd who's fascinated by vehicle dynamics.

Originally Posted by Red5
SS requires the same width wheel as stock. So anyone running in SS would have to run a staggered 17/18 combo.
Yes, sorry, I should have clarified. 315 width A6s are commonly used at 4 corners in SS. However, they're on 17x9.5s up front.

Quick Reply: Race on 200 UTG! Square or Staggered-how would your set up differ from slicks?