Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Ctrl Arm bushing question -

Old 11-18-2014, 10:30 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Pfadt Ctrl Arm bushing question -

I finally got some time to get my Pfadt upper ctrl arm bushings installed. As you know, the uppers have the snap ring thing. I had to trim my bushings to get enough clearance to get rings on. If the rings rotate around the groove, does that mean they are seated right? It is my first time with snap rings. Any other way to make sure they are seated correctly before track day?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:37 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I finally got some time to get my Pfadt upper ctrl arm bushings installed. As you know, the uppers have the snap ring thing. I had to trim my bushings to get enough clearance to get rings on. If the rings rotate around the groove, does that mean they are seated right? It is my first time with snap rings. Any other way to make sure they are seated correctly before track day?
Yes that is the right thiught. Btw mine still popped off on the rear of the upper arms I solved the problem by turning them around so that the braking force was against the fixed portion in stead of the c clip retained end
Old 11-19-2014, 10:23 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

My Pfadt control arm bushing snap rings were replaced about 10 times. Be sure to spread the snap ring only the minimum amount to get it seated.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

When there is no pressure on the snap ring, you should/may be able to rotate it.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:13 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The snap ring should sit all the way down in the bottom of the groove. It should be tight and not spin freely, although the ring should move after exerting some pressure on it.
For lateral clearance, you are probably going to have to trim the bushings. Mine were too tight and I could not even get the ring seated in the groove. Had to trim about a 1/16 off the face of one of the bushings and then they aligned and seated properly. Not a biggie to do the trimming, just takes time to do it correctly.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

What means did you use to do the trimming?

Old 11-20-2014, 08:31 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Had to trim mine. I tried Dremel, but it did more melting than cutting, so I switched to hacksaw. Seems like I had to do about 1/4" to get mine to fit. Ring won't turn on its own, but can be turned with some pressure from a screwdriver, so I am going with it.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Ctrl Arm bushing question -

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pfadt Ctrl Arm bushing question -