Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor Recomendation - C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Default Rotor Recomendation - C5Z

hey all,
I bought my car with the Red Devil brake kit on it, which has the ceramic coated Titanium rotors. Im looking to get rid of those rotros due to expensive upkeep and replacement cost. I am keeping the 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers though. The rotors this kit uses are are stock size front and rear.

I use the car as a city driver car and do a track day on average once a month. (4-5 per summer) What rotors do you guys recommend I use? im looking for something quality that will last and that will still be as light as possible. Im not against slotted and drilled rotors but not sure im sold on them either. I do tend to be hard on brakes though! I haven't done much research on brakes in the past so thats why im here to ask the pros! Thanks a lot!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been very happy with DBA rotors in stock sizes in the past. I ran 5000 series in the front and 4000 in the rear. Check out KNS brakes as they have their own line of 2 piece fronts that are made by DBA and the prices are really attractive.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, make sure you don't just drop those Ti rotors in the recycling bin when you're done with them! Haha
Old 02-06-2015, 01:31 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't use drilled rotors on the track
Old 02-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Greg Campbell
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
don't use drilled rotors on the track
+1

Unless you like to waste money, don't bother with anything other than plain vented rotors. Tire Rack has Centric High Carbon 125s for $72 Front and $58 per rear and they even have free shipping. At that price you can afford to replace them every year (which you should do if the car sees any regular amount of track time) and still come out miles ahead of any DBA/2-peice/fancy-pants solution. I got 40 + events out of my last set, and only replaced them because they were worn (not because of cracking).
Old 02-06-2015, 04:27 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Campbell
+1

Unless you like to waste money, don't bother with anything other than plain vented rotors. Tire Rack has Centric High Carbon 125s for $72 Front and $58 per rear and they even have free shipping. At that price you can afford to replace them every year (which you should do if the car sees any regular amount of track time) and still come out miles ahead of any DBA/2-peice/fancy-pants solution. I got 40 + events out of my last set, and only replaced them because they were worn (not because of cracking).
40 events on Centrics!? Are these runs on a drag strip or something? Mine would crack after 3 days or so. Which is why I switched to expensive and high quality AP full floatings. I guess my advice is the opposite yours - spend money on good brakes and don't worry about them, rather than being worried about cracking cheap rotors all the time.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:57 PM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130
Damn, make sure you don't just drop those Ti rotors in the recycling bin when you're done with them! Haha

Lol. No worries. I know what they are worth!!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:49 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I tried just about every configuration out there, cheap NAPA, Centric, Brembo, Cryo Treated, ETC., etc. Nothing held up better than the DBA 5000 two piece front and DBA 4000 rear rotors. They cost a little more, but deliver long life compared to anything else I tried. KNS Brakes has absolutely the best pricing on these.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:40 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallett Z
hey all,
I bought my car with the Red Devil brake kit on it, which has the ceramic coated Titanium rotors. Im looking to get rid of those rotros due to expensive upkeep and replacement cost. I am keeping the 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers though. The rotors this kit uses are are stock size front and rear.

I use the car as a city driver car and do a track day on average once a month. (4-5 per summer) What rotors do you guys recommend I use? im looking for something quality that will last and that will still be as light as possible. Im not against slotted and drilled rotors but not sure im sold on them either. I do tend to be hard on brakes though! I haven't done much research on brakes in the past so thats why im here to ask the pros! Thanks a lot!
I have used Stoptech BBK, including rotors for about 10 years now. I am still on the original rotors, so I would recommend them strongly
I run Stoptech Street Performance pads on the street, and Cobalt Friction race pads on the track.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 03-01-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:28 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettechris996
I've been very happy with DBA rotors in stock sizes in the past. I ran 5000 series in the front and 4000 in the rear. Check out KNS brakes as they have their own line of 2 piece fronts that are made by DBA and the prices are really attractive.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-07-z51.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-07-z51.html
Old 02-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the Info guys! Looks like the DBA setup is the way to go. I do like the price point of the KNS line of front rotors.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:39 AM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Assuming you are using a quality rotor, then rotor life is directly related to brake pad compound. I strongly recommend Cobalt brake pads. They provide the same or better grip and stopping power, but are more friendly to the rotors from my experience. It is very interesting to call and order pads from them anywhere near the time of a major televised road racing event. They are covered up with orders from the racing teams. That should tell you something. Jerry
Old 02-24-2015, 08:51 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I have used Stoptech BBK, including rotors for about 10 years now. I am still on the original rotors, so I would recommend them strongly
Great! Looking for feedback on Stop Tech Big Brakes.

Thanks,

dcamick

Old 02-27-2015, 02:19 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

If you are using stock size rotors with that kit, StopTech has their sport stop slotted rotor that works well. Not expensive and a direct upgrade over the OEM units.

If you think you might want to loose the entire kit and go to a BBK, like the others have said. StopTech makes a good product and replacement parts a affordable and easy to get.

Anthony
Old 03-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Default Rotor Recomendation - C5Z

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
If you are using stock size rotors with that kit, StopTech has their sport stop slotted rotor that works well. Not expensive and a direct upgrade over the OEM units.

If you think you might want to loose the entire kit and go to a BBK, like the others have said. StopTech makes a good product and replacement parts a affordable and easy to get.

Anthony
I've been thinking of ditching the whole kit and actually going with a C6Z kit. do you have some kits in mind I could look at to get an idea of price? wheels are 18" front/back. and from research I've done the spokes only clear C6Z brakes by a MM or 2 in the front.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:15 PM
Tommyboy92
Intermediate

I use duralast rotors for street and track, 2 year warranty means bring em back when they crack and no questions asked replacement. Cant beat it for the $
Old 06-10-2015, 10:26 AM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommyboy92
I use duralast rotors for street and track, 2 year warranty means bring em back when they crack and no questions asked replacement. Cant beat it for the $
How long are they lasting on the track?

Get notified of new replies

To Rotor Recomendation - C5Z

Old 06-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Tommyboy92
Intermediate

^ they last about 4 weekends, plus plenty of street miles with HP+ pads and NT01's at sebring with a cam only Z06, going to move to the Essex AP sprint kit soon, probably going to use duralasts on the street and save the J hooks for the track
Old 06-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Tommyboy92
^ they last about 4 weekends, plus plenty of street miles with HP+ pads and NT01's at sebring with a cam only Z06, going to move to the Essex AP sprint kit soon, probably going to use duralasts on the street and save the J hooks for the track
I'm trying the duralast rotors out next! I'm sure I could get a return or two before they catch on
Old 06-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Tommyboy92
Intermediate

Just dont forget to season them before track duty, otherwise you will crack them in a session or two, and I also bought their pads for street duty (never ended up using them) but when they ask what pads Im using, I say theirs, and that they should have it in their system since the pads are warrantied as well

Quick Reply: Rotor Recomendation - C5Z