Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting up C5Z suspension for aero

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:56 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Setting up C5Z suspension for aero

Hey Folks,

I've decided to take the plunge and add aero to my ST2 car. Installed Tracspec hood louvers today, I have all components arriving Tuesday to make my own splitter, and a Kognition wing coming in a few weeks.

My question is are there immediate and obvious things that need to happen to suspension to work with the added down force? Ride height? Rake?

My suspension setup is :
VBP extreme front
Stock C5Z rear
LG sways
DRM Bilsteins

Anything I should obviously change on the suspension?
Old 07-11-2015, 01:13 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm far from an expert, but my 2 cents is you seem setup okay for aero and you should run the car before making any changes. Be sure to use good tires to get the most accurate data after adding aero.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:10 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Crank your ride height way up. That stock rear spring is going to allow the aero to bottom out your car.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:38 PM
zigspeed10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will want a higher spring rate in the rear than stock to avoid running on the bump stops.

Consider getting stiffer springs and proper shock valving to go with them and get the car dialed in prior to adding the aero. It will help you get the aero balanced once you add it.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:10 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Originally Posted by zigspeed10
You will want a higher spring rate in the rear than stock to avoid running on the bump stops.

Consider getting stiffer springs and proper shock valving to go with them and get the car dialed in prior to adding the aero. It will help you get the aero balanced once you add it.
I figured I would need more spring in the back, but I left that open for someone to mention. Figured I would go with the VBP Extreme in the rear to match the front.

I would upgrade to Double Adjustable Penske's if needed. I was hoping I could see if I can get away with me Bilsteins to avoid shelling out the big bucks for the shocks. Just installed a custom race motor so I'm lower on funds than I'd like to be.

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 07-11-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:39 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
I figured I would need more spring in the back, but I left that open for someone to mention. Figured I would go with the VBP Extreme in the rear to match the front.

I would upgrade to Double Adjustable Penske's if needed. I was hoping I could see if I can get away with me Bilsteins to avoid shelling out the big bucks for the shocks. Just installed a custom race motor so I'm lower on funds than I'd like to be.

I have DA Penske's on my car and really like them compared to the SA Pfadt's I had previously and stock OEM leafs before that.

You can run aero and leafs, but you will need a much higher spring rate on the rear. Keep an eye on your inner fender liners for clearancing and that will give you an idea of whether or not you need to raise/lower the car. If you run flat tracks, you can go lower than a compression track like Road Atlanta, Barber, VIR, etc.

-Kevin
Old 07-12-2015, 11:11 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I am a little biased but we have the complete package for your suspension for exactly what you are doing and it is all tuned for balance.
You already have the LG sway bars but If you really want the aero package, you need to go all the way.

Our Louvered hood was approved and tested for World Challenge and won tons of races with it.

Plus our Front splitter with ground effect tunnels works well with the LG Wing, also approved for World Challenge.

Give us a call, Anthony or Bobby can help you out

Don't forget our Drop Spindles and Coil over shocks with the correct spring rates for the aero

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti

Here is a blast from the past

LG Motorsports World Challenge approved racing Carbon hood. Available as a stock mounting replacement using all stock hinges OR as a top skin, Pin Mount racing light weight version

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 07-12-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:01 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hey by the way guys, that blue featherlite trailer in the video is for sale. :-)

Give me a call at LG Motorsports. 972-429-1963 and they will give you my direct number.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti
Old 07-13-2015, 08:12 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I ran stock C5Z rear spring with my Kognotion wing so it can be done.

BTW - how did you order the wing? I heard he wasn't making them anymore.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:49 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Most of the time you are going to have to increase spring rate to take up for the increased downforce of the aero. Now that being said it also depends on your aero setup and just how much it is going to make. If it doesn't make much for downforce then you would be fine on the spring.

Keep in mind, a change in springs also generally requires a change in shock setup as well.

So you should think about a custom set of coil overs. You might be able to get away with a higher rate leaf on the car and maybe some revalved OEM replacement shocks but if you are going through the trouble of adding aero get the suspension right to work with it.

That is exactly why all of our G2 coil overs are custom built to order and why I go over what your car is when we do them. They have to be sprung correctly and have the right valving to control the spring and car at speed.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:45 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Originally Posted by sperkins
I ran stock C5Z rear spring with my Kognotion wing so it can be done.

BTW - how did you order the wing? I heard he wasn't making them anymore.
Just contacted him and said he was doing a last run of wings and he could put me in there. Said 3-4 weeks delivery, but having seen your previous thread on that matter I have my fingers crossed!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:13 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Just contacted him and said he was doing a last run of wings and he could put me in there. Said 3-4 weeks delivery, but having seen your previous thread on that matter I have my fingers crossed!
I have our GT2 wings in stock....

Developed and tested on not only our ALMS GT2 Corvette, but also our GrandAm Corvette and who could not forget the hill climb ZR1?
Old 07-16-2015, 01:47 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Found out at VIR that I need to raise the spring pressure in our car. Left the LR fender liner laying in the uphill esses...

Get notified of new replies

To Setting up C5Z suspension for aero

Quick Reply: Setting up C5Z suspension for aero