Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion from HPDE care to Racecar

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:38 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Conversion from HPDE car to race car

Been doing DE's for a few years now, ready to jump into full on racing. I have a seat, harness, bigger radiator, oil cooler, trans cooler, diff cooler, Wilwood brakes, and have gutted most of the interior for HPDE. I figure next steps for NASA/SCCA racing are cage, coil overs, wing and splitter. Any part recommendations for putting together a well sorted ST3 / ST2 car?

Last edited by SunnydayDILYSI; 08-28-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:52 PM
mdavis7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on the same path as you and one thing I've learned so far is you need to keep your end in mind as the class you choose can dictate what mods and things you need. Start from there, read the rules a million times, and work back.

Also, I cannot stress enough, do the safety items first (you mentioned cage), but also include a cool shirt/suit and fire suppression.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:31 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dry sump??!!!!! Firebottle fire system with nozzles aimed at driver and two at engine (between headers and block), AIM Solo DL, 3 sets of wheels (2 drys and one wet), braided brake lines, SKF HD hubs, Window Net (all custom, nothing you can buy off the shelf), Stoptech ST60 Trophy front brakes or AP 6 piston racing (haven't seen anyone do well with Wilwood for racing on a C6 at LS2/3 power levels).. Make up a cage/frame for passenger floor so you can mount ballast there, at ST3 for sure you will find you need to ballast up, battery relocated to trunk with battery cover, Kill switch, two piece 14" front rotors (Stoptech or better), Coleman two piece OEM size rear rotors, eliminates handbrake, LG Monoball for suspension, make sure ABS still works. Bleed kit for clutch slave hopefully already installed, otherwise you will ruin a race weekend with the clutch on the floor, get it done now. HP Tuners to monitor engine vitals and flash different programs so you can switch between ST3 or ST2 on different weekends depending on car count.

Spares:
- Extra Brake booster, EBCM, BCM, Clutch master, extra Guibos, extra hubs, extra brake rings, portable plug in defogger for wet weekend..

Or.. buy mine, it is in Dallas: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590373404
Old 08-29-2015, 02:12 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Been doing DE's for a few years now, ready to jump into full on racing. I have a seat, harness, bigger radiator, oil cooler, trans cooler, diff cooler, Wilwood brakes, and have gutted most of the interior for HPDE. I figure next steps for NASA/SCCA racing are cage, coil overs, wing and splitter. Any part recommendations for putting together a well sorted ST3 / ST2 car?
How far away is the current car from stock? Just a thought but sometimes it might be worth either getting a roller race car and doing it over the winter and returning your current car to stock and selling.

Converting a street car to a race car you are going to have a lot of things that can come out and a lot of parts you could sell...but in some cases it might be better to sell the current car and build one from the ground up. Saves you from having to hack up wiring or ending up with a lot of parts you can not really sell or do anything with.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:21 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

I have some additional mods including poly bushings, camber kit, 4 new SKF hubs, new ball joints, headers, CAI, cool suit, braided brake lines, brake ducts, two sets of wheels. I also have some of the racing gear such as a 5A suit, gloves, shoes, Arai helmet. I feel like I've gone past the point of return in terms of going back to stock. I'm sure it's doable, but seems like a lot less fun than going forward .

Looks like first priorities are: Cage, Fire Suppression, Kill Switch, Window Net, Bleed Kit for Clutch, Dry Sump

Then focus on: Upgrading brakes, Coil Overs, Wing, Splitter, Upgading to Mono-*****

Any thought on whether I could get by with an Accusump instead of the larger dry sump investment?

Anthony, I see that you guys will also be running PST, congrats! That's a great shop as well. Any chance of a special rate on LG gear for long time PST customers ?
Old 08-29-2015, 03:45 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

I have some additional mods including poly bushings, camber kit, 4 new SKF hubs, new ball joints, headers, CAI, cool suit, braided brake lines, brake ducts, two sets of wheels. I also have some of the racing gear such as a 5A suit, gloves, shoes, Arai helmet. I feel like I've gone past the point of return in terms of going back to stock. I'm sure it's doable, but seems like a lot less fun than going forward .

Looks like first priorities are: Cage, Fire Suppression, Kill Switch, Window Net, Bleed Kit for Clutch, Dry Sump

Then focus on: Upgrading brakes, Coil Overs, Wing, Splitter, Upgading to Mono-*****

Any thought on whether I could get by with an Accusump instead of the larger dry sump investment?

Anthony, I see that you guys will also be running PST, congrats! That's a great shop as well. Any chance of a special rate on LG gear for long time PST customers ?
I'll hook ya up, just shoot me a list over to anthony@lgmotorsports.com and we can go from there.

If you pull it apart to do the cage I would get a race wiring harness too and loose a lot of weight and headaches in the long run.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:40 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Good thread
Old 08-30-2015, 12:54 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Selling your current car and buying one that is already set up will save you a bunch of money in the long run. There are a few offered on this site that are of good value.

Or, do what many on here have already done: sell the street car (or track prepped Vette) and buy a GTA car. Supposed to be much cheaper to run, especially when it comes to consumables like tires and brakes...
Old 08-30-2015, 03:03 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's my old parts list if it helps.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...5-frc-zo6.html
Old 08-30-2015, 10:24 PM
bradsvette57
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Sunnyday, call Joe Aquilante at Phoenix Performance in Phoenixville PA. They have been turning Corvettes into race cars for many years. They have many, many National Championships to their credit. They did 2 cars for me over the years and both were outstanding. As far as selling your car, I know how I felt about mine. I felt an attachment to mine and wanted it, not another, as my race car. Have fun!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:34 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by tytek
Or, do what many on here have already done: sell the street car (or track prepped Vette) and buy a GTA car. Supposed to be much cheaper to run, especially when it comes to consumables like tires and brakes...
What I and a few folks have done...no regrets!
Old 08-31-2015, 10:15 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
What I and a few folks have done...no regrets!
What class / series do you race in? I did try to google it, but mostly get pics of Grand Theft Auto cars
Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

What class / series do you race in? I did try to google it, but mostly get pics of Grand Theft Auto cars
SCCA GT-2. Ran the SCCA Mid-states Majors Conference this year, won the Championship. Heading to the National Runoffs at Daytona in a few weeks.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:33 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
SCCA GT-2. Ran the SCCA Mid-states Majors Conference this year, won the Championship. Heading to the National Runoffs at Daytona in a few weeks.
That's awesome, congrats! I'll have to catch the next event in the Texas area.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:44 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

I travel around and give safety classes to hpde people. if you take away one thing remember that your trying to build a safety system. the components of harness, seats, roll bar all need to work together in order to have a hope of keeping you safe. so get all the equipment and do it all at once.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:26 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
I travel around and give safety classes to hpde people. if you take away one thing remember that your trying to build a safety system. the components of harness, seats, roll bar all need to work together in order to have a hope of keeping you safe. so get all the equipment and do it all at once.
It is that but it is much more than that too.

Typically speaking to do a cage right you have to pull the car all the way to the frame and remove everything including the fuel system to do it correctly. Depending on driver you will probably have to loose most of the roof to get the helmet clearance for the main halo.

Once you are done with all of that why fight electrical problems by trying to use the factory harness going back together? If you leave it all there then you are just adding weight that doesn't have to be.

Then you have all of the extra parts, tabs, bolts, and connections that go on the street cars. In the end, it is typically easier to start with a bare frame or soemething that is already a roller.

End of the season for World Challenge is about up and there might be some Corvette's floating around that would be up for sale as rollers.

Heck...we have a few Aston's for sale if you want a different kind of race car.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:40 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
It is that but it is much more than that too.

Typically speaking to do a cage right you have to pull the car all the way to the frame and remove everything including the fuel system to do it correctly. Depending on driver you will probably have to loose most of the roof to get the helmet clearance for the main halo.

Once you are done with all of that why fight electrical problems by trying to use the factory harness going back together? If you leave it all there then you are just adding weight that doesn't have to be.

Then you have all of the extra parts, tabs, bolts, and connections that go on the street cars. In the end, it is typically easier to start with a bare frame or soemething that is already a roller.

End of the season for World Challenge is about up and there might be some Corvette's floating around that would be up for sale as rollers.

Heck...we have a few Aston's for sale if you want a different kind of race car.
i was more or less referring to the guy with harnesses and stock seats.

Get notified of new replies

To Conversion from HPDE care to Racecar

Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

That's awesome, congrats! I'll have to catch the next event in the Texas area.
Thank you!

Noticing that you live in Dallas, you should check out Pinnacle Autosports at Eagles Canyon Raceway (if you have interest in a GTA, TA2 or other racer). Gregg Rodgers runs a top quality shop. He has a really nice TA2 car for sale (GTA cars are much less, i.e. - $20-25K for a turnkey, ready to go racing car):

http://www.racingjunk.com/GT/182537809/TA2-Camaro.html
Old 09-01-2015, 10:39 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Very helpful info. There was a wise man at MSR Cresson 3-years ago who told me "Take that stock Z06 and make it your daily driver, buy a race car for having out here and it will be a lot cheaper and more fun." If only I wasn't a dumb 34 year old kid... Now need to find someone who values a great street legal and fast HPDE car so I can trade up to full on race car.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:59 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

out of curiosity because I will be in your same shoes one day, can you explain what type of experience you have. You mention a few years but curious roughly how much seat time is that, what class and with who, tracks, times, etc.

I think I have more time prior to going full race car as I don't want a race car just to have fun with, I want to race it. Thanks

Quick Reply: Conversion from HPDE care to Racecar