Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with dry sump

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 10:05 AM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
I have ARE valve covers with only one port on the passenger side. Everything else is sealed shut. The fitting on top of the tank goes to the breather. The fitting by the firewall is the return line and the other is the connection to the valve cover. There are baffles inside the tank to prevent return oil from escaping to the valve cover or breather.
Mine seems very similar. I need to see if I have a threads on the hole in the passenger valve cover. Right now the vent is in there with a rubber grommet.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:16 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I have ARE valve covers with only one port on the passenger side. Everything else is sealed shut. The fitting on top of the tank goes to the breather. The fitting by the firewall is the return line and the other is the connection to the valve cover. There are baffles inside the tank to prevent return oil from escaping to the valve cover or breather.

Can you comment more on the ARE valve covers? See the link below, they don't seem to have the big fitting where the stock oil fill would go. I've got a set of stock valve covers from my LS6 - it has both the breather line and the oil fill hole to plug. Is that red anodized AN fitting a standard part? Did the valve cover have to be tapped? Thanks,

http://drysump.com/valvcvr7.htm
Old 12-14-2015, 11:02 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

My dry sump system was on the car when I bought it so I was not aware the port was added. So yes, you will need to either drill and tap for a fitting (probably 3/4" NPT to -12 AN) or have someone weld an aluminum bung on the valve cover.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:10 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

I just spent the weekend with Gary Armstrong with ARE in his booth. The first thing i would do is call him. He is unbelievably knowledgeable about the dry sump systems, especially since he designed all of what ARE sells himself. He is the nicest guy you will ever meet, and wouldn't be able to stand it if he thought one of his systems was not performing properly. I suspect the valve cover breather is part of the problem. Part of the dry sump pumps purpose is to create some vacuum in the engine to get the oil out of the heads. Also, I know on other cars they are running up to 16 AN lines, so a 10 may be a little small, but check with the folks at ARE on that one. Jerry
Old 12-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

If you want, PM me a phone number and I will talk you through what to do and why. ARE is the best dry sump system available for the LS engine.

Jim
Old 12-28-2015, 02:30 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Redtopz - do you happen to have more pictures of your tank mount? I have essentially the same tank going in the same spot.

I'm debating to fab a bracket on the inside like you did, or to cut away part of the fender and tie it into the frame rail. My power distribution center is relocation, so I have a touch more space...
Old 05-20-2017, 12:05 AM
c6moneypit
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default .

Old 05-20-2017, 08:05 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Like others have said remove the breather from the valve cover. The dry sump should be pulling a vacuum on the engine. Move the catch can. I would also run the breather hose up hill to the other side of the vehicle to the catch can. let the vapors turn to liquid and drain back to the tank. Run as big of a line as possible.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:05 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Matey this thread is almost 2 years old.. WTF YOU DOING

Quick Reply: Help with dry sump