Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA CAM S What are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I run with NER CART and FCSCC in CT and MA
I hope to do some national stuff to see how I stack up
I also hope to do the OUSCI in NJ this year too
07'Z06
Forgestar 18x11 18x12 BFG Rivall-s
Penske 8300 DA coilovers 850/750
Delrin control arm bushings
12:1 stock heads milled .040"
232/242 cammotion cam
LG exhaust
Hope to see some of you guys out there
Attached Images  

Last edited by 383; 01-21-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:26 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dhowdy
Would be cool if we could provide state/region too so I know who I'm going to run into

What offsets? Same size wheels I went with. Any cutting or sticking out past the fenders?
I run in Michigan and the surrounding midwest states where abouts are you running!?

with regards to the forgestars,
18x11 et 53
18x12 et 59

fronts fit with no issue although they do stick out a little bit at static height, they tuck under on corners. rears just fit although there is minor grazing of fenders on the outside and I had to trim the rear fender liners and there are faint marks on the inside from an occasional rub there as well, nothing concerning though.

my ideal specs would be 18x11 et57 and 18x12 et75 (with a mini tub in the rear) That on my personal car would give me the most tucked fronts possible on the 11" width without rubbing control arms at full lock and a nearly stock width rear end for squirting through tight cones.

Other things I'm still looking at would be a set of custom control arms that give more tire clearance allowing me to narrow the front up a bit more as well.

Note that the F14's cannot be ordered in the same offsets as the CF5.

if I was ordering F14's again for a stock fendered c5 I'd go 18x11 et55 and 18x12 et59. if going minitub then switch to the CF5 and suck them back under the car more!

these pictures sort of help show my fitment:

Old 01-22-2016, 12:13 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by klodkrawler05
I run in Michigan and the surrounding midwest states where abouts are you running!?

with regards to the forgestars,
18x11 et 53
18x12 et 59

fronts fit with no issue although they do stick out a little bit at static height, they tuck under on corners. rears just fit although there is minor grazing of fenders on the outside and I had to trim the rear fender liners and there are faint marks on the inside from an occasional rub there as well, nothing concerning though.

my ideal specs would be 18x11 et57 and 18x12 et75 (with a mini tub in the rear) That on my personal car would give me the most tucked fronts possible on the 11" width without rubbing control arms at full lock and a nearly stock width rear end for squirting through tight cones.

Other things I'm still looking at would be a set of custom control arms that give more tire clearance allowing me to narrow the front up a bit more as well.

Note that the F14's cannot be ordered in the same offsets as the CF5.

if I was ordering F14's again for a stock fendered c5 I'd go 18x11 et55 and 18x12 et59. if going minitub then switch to the CF5 and suck them back under the car more!
Awesome, thanks! Running out of Arizona, no pics of the car yet, but red '99 FRC with 403ci LS2 block, right around 500 whp/tq.

I actually have brand new CF5's sitting in my office. I just kind of winged it and ordered them with the max offset available, figuring I could space them back out if absolutely needed. 18x12 et 75, 18x11 et 63. Sounds like I planned to do what you said all along.

Haven't even hung one of the fronts yet to fit, but rear definitely interferes with control arms. Putting on new shocks this weekend, so hoping that limits travel enough to not have control arm issues... if it doesn't...ummm... limiting straps? Then it's just a matter of mini-tub.

Car is pretty much sorted. Just need to do some tuning with suspension bits. Drop 100lb. Maybe get it retuned for a couple extra hp.

Haven't decided if I'm running CAM nationally or not yet... definitely will locally because this car is fun as hell.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:52 AM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Originally Posted by dhowdy
Awesome, thanks! Running out of Arizona, no pics of the car yet, but red '99 FRC with 403ci LS2 block, right around 500 whp/tq.

I actually have brand new CF5's sitting in my office. I just kind of winged it and ordered them with the max offset available, figuring I could space them back out if absolutely needed. 18x12 et 75, 18x11 et 63. Sounds like I planned to do what you said all along.

Haven't even hung one of the fronts yet to fit, but rear definitely interferes with control arms. Putting on new shocks this weekend, so hoping that limits travel enough to not have control arm issues... if it doesn't...ummm... limiting straps? Then it's just a matter of mini-tub.

Car is pretty much sorted. Just need to do some tuning with suspension bits. Drop 100lb. Maybe get it retuned for a couple extra hp.

Haven't decided if I'm running CAM nationally or not yet... definitely will locally because this car is fun as hell.

car sounds like it has plenty of potential to be a national contender!

please post some photos or keep some updates as you fit the wheels, I'm out of the country for the next 2.5 months but am planning to order some CF5's in a month to have them ready by the start of our season and would love to know any pitfalls or issues you encounter fitting them!

Thanks,
Brad
Old 01-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Racin Jason
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

awesome thread, and new class. I will be adding updates here on mine shortly
Old 01-22-2016, 07:07 PM
AND0
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

I just ran CAM-S this last weekend. First autocross in my basically stock C5Z. My only mod is Z06 rears up front. If I was any ways serious I would get skinny fronts and run Street class.

The question is, if this class gets at all serious, how does the 3000lbs corvette beat the 2350lbs Cobra Kit?
Old 01-22-2016, 08:16 PM
65BSPCORVETTE
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking to have a nice class in the San Francisco area with SCCA and American Autocross Series.

Brian Hobaugh
2003 Corvette Z06

Mast Motorsports Black Label 427 - 687 HP / 581 LB/FT
K&N Intake into MSD Atomic Airforce
McLeod Twin disc clutch
RPM Trans / Diff
ARH headers w/ Black Widow mufflers

Wilwood AERO6 Big Brake fronts / Forged Narrow Superlite 4R Big Brake Rear Brake
JRI Shocks
VB custom front and rear springs
LG drop spindles
Mike Maier Inc delrin bushing kit

TSW 18" x 10.5" with Falken RT-615K 315/30/18

Trackspec hood vents

Last edited by 65BSPCORVETTE; 01-22-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AND0
The question is, if this class gets at all serious, how does the 3000lbs corvette beat the 2350lbs Cobra Kit?
Exactly why I said vettes should've been alowed in from the begining
Old 01-22-2016, 10:14 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by AND0
Assuming equal levels of prep and driver skill, it doesn't. Not that anyone is going to get a reasonably streetable Vette or Viper down to 2350, so I realize these weights are actually somewhat close to stock weights for both cars (should actually require a little ballast for the Cobra). So I don't know how that would get equalized fairly. So that's just how it has to be, since there can't be a class just for Cobras.

I think it gets weird where kit cars enter the picture. I'm not sure a Cobra kit car should count in the first place. And in the second place, what about a Superformance Cobra that uses Corvette chassis pieces? It also gets to weigh only 2350, even though it is largely a Corvette.

I will keep reminding myself that it's just for fun, not money or fame. In fact, I may make a placard to put on the dash to remind myself of that each time I run. I can place it next to the one that will remind me to turn off the damn ASR before each run.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:02 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

OMG. I can't understand why they want to allow a 2350lb in the class and restrict Vettes and Vipers from being that light. It's bs in my opinion. The class should be 3000 minimum for every car period or at least just a couple hundred lb difference. I was considering this class. Only thing I have to change is the wing with a spoiler which I already have.

But after realizing this 2350lb weight allowance, I don't see any difference between this class and SSM now, with the exception of no foreign 2200lb cars

How is a kit car considered a domestic vehicle?

If anyone here ran Nationals or has ran with the the Cobra Kit, does it have side glass, which I would presume are windows? The rules say must have side glass.

Last edited by l98tpi; 01-22-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:14 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by l98tpi
But after realizing this 2350lb weight allowance, I don't see any difference between this class and SSM now, with the exception of no foreign 2200lb cars
Well the big difference is the pax index, which is very much more favorable for CAM. In SSM you'd be up against people like Erik Strelnieks in gutted 600hp 3rd-gen RX7s that are way faster than anything CAM has shown so far (IOW, those 2200lb foreign cars, but with mega power).

The thing with CAM is that the rules are so wide open that a tube frame car with a screwed-on interior could run. The intent and hope is that nobody will do that kind of thing. Time will tell. If only people like those in this thread show up, it will be a hoot.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:36 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Well the big difference is the pax index, which is very much more favorable for CAM. In SSM you'd be up against people like Erik Strelnieks in gutted 600hp 3rd-gen RX7s that are way faster than anything CAM has shown so far (IOW, those 2200lb foreign cars, but with mega power).

The thing with CAM is that the rules are so wide open that a tube frame car with a screwed-on interior could run. The intent and hope is that nobody will do that kind of thing. Time will tell. If only people like those in this thread show up, it will be a hoot.
I never considered the PAX index, actually never looked into that. I am familiar with most of the competitive SSM cars. I ran several National Tour events, Pro Solo, and Nationals this year. Great bunch of guys. Learned a lot from those guys and some other people around the SCCA in 2015

Last edited by l98tpi; 01-22-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:44 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Originally Posted by 65BSPCORVETTE
Looking to have a nice class in the San Francisco area with SCCA and American Autocross Series.

Brian Hobaugh
2003 Corvette Z06

Mast Motorsports Black Label 427 - 687 HP / 581 LB/FT
K&N Intake into MSD Atomic Airforce
McLeod Twin disc clutch
RPM Trans / Diff
ARH headers w/ Black Widow mufflers

Wilwood AERO6 Big Brake fronts / Forged Narrow Superlite 4R Big Brake Rear Brake
JRI Shocks
VB custom front and rear springs
LG drop spindles
Mike Maier Inc delrin bushing kit

TSW 18" x 10.5" with Falken RT-615K 315/30/18

Trackspec hood vents

Brian did you have to do anything special to fit the Atomic manifold on the c5 or did it clear the cowl?

I've been looking at that one for my build also.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 01-22-2016, 11:46 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by l98tpi
I never considered the PAX index, actually never looked into that. I am familiar with most of the competitive SSM cars. I ran several National Tour events, Pro Solo, and Nationals this year. Great bunch of guys.
Yeah, it's a big difference: .882 vs .848. I got to run one event last November before the winter break. It was an all-index class, and I had to run SSM because my Toyo 888s are less than 200tw. I got down to the 45s. If I had the tires to be CAM-legal, my PAX time would have been 1.5 seconds better. It would have moved me from mid-pack in the results to near the top! Whether your indexed times matter where you run is another matter, of course.

I just noticed your avatar. I think I just watched some in-car of you at nats on youtube!
Old 01-23-2016, 12:10 AM
65BSPCORVETTE
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by klodkrawler05
Brian did you have to do anything special to fit the Atomic manifold on the c5 or did it clear the cowl?

I've been looking at that one for my build also.

Thanks,
Brad
Saw was required. I would not do it again. FAST or stock LS7 would be my choice on a C5. It does make a lot of power though.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:17 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Yeah, it's a big difference: .882 vs .848. I got to run one event last November before the winter break. It was an all-index class, and I had to run SSM because my Toyo 888s are less than 200tw. I got down to the 45s. If I had the tires to be CAM-legal, my PAX time would have been 1.5 seconds better. It would have moved me from mid-pack in the results to near the top! Whether your indexed times matter where you run is another matter, of course.

I just noticed your avatar. I think I just watched some in-car of you at nats on youtube!
Personally I never focus on PAX. I did learn a lot at Nationals and if anyone plans to be competitive on a National Level, you have to go. I knew I was going on to come in near the back of the pack but figured it would be worth it for the experience. And it was. Learned more about aero, tires, and other advantageous strategies to help finish higher up in the class.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:40 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
Back when we were running BSP our C4 was about just as fast as a super stock C5Z.

With the "no rules" of CAM you can get pretty much anything you want, but you'd have to do a lot of work to make a C4 as fast a stock C5Z.

If you go to an LS motor to get the weight out of the front of the car, strip it ll down, put light weight hood on it, stiffen the frame rework the rear suspension it could be faster, but for all that work you might just as easily buy a C5 and have a much better platform as a starting place. John Carriere had the data on how much the front frame on the C4 twists and the amount of camber loss that is there is really amazing. Not saying you can't do it, but it's going to be a lot of work.

We got our BSP car down to about 3100 lbs so if within the CAM rules (or lack of same) you could probably get down to the weight limit. And yes the wheelbase is shorter and there are things a C4 will do that you can't do in a C5, but I don't see that for an equal amount of work the C5 is probably going to be any faster.

Of course If you jack up the VIN plate and change everything under it you can get there, but at what cost of labor and time?

The real key would be to get more than 50% of the weight on the rear wheels and I don't know if you could do that with the weight of the C4 platform.
I have more than 50% on the rear of my 89 C4 with only 3 gallons of fuel in the tank. My total gross weight with a 6-point cage, heavy BFG Rival S Tires and Baer 14" rotors is 3090 pounds. These items added a lot of weight.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA CAM S What are you running?

Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

SSM Hoosiers

CAM 200tw tires
Old 01-23-2016, 12:21 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Subscribed to see your setups.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

I think we will see a lot of Corvettes that will come out of the woodwork back to SCCA to compete again. The new CAM S is the answer and I believe it will be fun. I hope there will be a huge entry of Corvettes in CAM S at the Solo Nationals and the CAM Challenges throughout the country. If there's going to be a bunch of CAM S entries at the National Tour and CAM Challenges, I will be there. I intend to attend all the CAM Challenge events and the Crows Landing, Lincoln, Washington DC National Tours this year and the Solo Nationals.

My C4 CAM S is built with the following:

ENGINE
Lingenfelter 427 all aluminum small block 630 hp/574 torque with TPIS EFI 1250 cfm mono blade Throttlebody controlled by a Holley HP ECM, Aviaid Dry Sump System,
Lingenfelter Custom Cold Air Intake

TRANSMISSION
Tremec TKO 600 with Sidewinder II Shifter option
Tilton Triple-Disk Clutch
Lingenfelter Improved Tranny Mount & Torque Arm

REAR DIFFERENTIAL
Gladiator 44 with 3.54 gear set 1/2" ring gear bolts and steel bearing caps and Eaton Tru-Trac posi

DRIVETRAIN COMPONENTS
Dynotech Carbon Fiber Drive & Half Shafts and cold stabilized yokes

SUSPENSION
Vette Brakes & Products custom adjustable composite mono springs and Heim Joint rear suspension components
SPC Adjustable Upper Front Control Arms
OEM Lower Control Arms with Mike Maier, Inc. Bushing Modifications
Penske Triple Adjustable Shocks with External Reservoirs Designed by Mike Maier, Inc. with Mike Maier, Inc. Custom Mounting Brackets
Mike Maier, Inc. Adjustable Front Swaybar with Remote Control
Baer 6S Calipers & 14" 2-Piece Slotted Rotors
Forgeline GA3R front - 18X11 & rear - 18X12 1/2 wheels
BFG Rival S front - 315-18 & rear - 335-18 Go-Fast tires

BODY MODIFICATIONS
Carbon Fiber Front Hood with Custom Flared fenders
Custom Handmade Rear Fenders
Breathless LaMans Headlamps
Carbon Fiber Rear Bumper with Spoiler ( in the works)

INTERIOR MODIFICATIONS
Mike Maier, Inc. Custom 6-Point Cage
Momo Driver's & Passenger Seats
Momo Steering Wheel

FUTURE MODIFICATION
Custom Dash with a complete line of analog gauges and heater control with custom center console.

I'm sure I am forgetting something.

Kenny Mitchell
nokones@kenmitchell.com

Last edited by Nokones; 01-23-2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Signature

Quick Reply: SCCA CAM S What are you running?