Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for basic C6 Aero

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 06:33 PM
7007vette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Looking for basic C6 Aero

I have a 07 ZO6 which I would like to use for HPDE. I am interesting in installing basic aero, I was planning on using the Katech set up but the parts have been on back order for a long period of time. I am interested in proven (wind tunnel tested) set with a spoiler, splitter w/ under tray and side skirts. I am not looking for a set up which would require a rear wing. Can recommend a set up similar to the Katech set up?
Thanks,
peter
Old 03-13-2016, 12:49 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

For HPDE I would not run aero beyond what the car currently has. Aero takes time, money and skill to show dividends on the clock and HPDE doesn't use a clock It is more difficult to drive and in my opinion less fun, especially for HPDE.
I'd contact LG Motorsports or Black Dog racing for aero options outside of Katech for proven results. No one has done wind tunnel testing besides Katech to my knowledge.
I found a vented hood and this[ http://www.duraflexbodykits.com/1997...-p-262882.html ] was helpful on a C5 FRC.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Couldn't you just run all of the factory GM ZR-1 aero bits?
Old 03-14-2016, 01:06 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
For HPDE I would not run aero beyond what the car currently has. Aero takes time, money and skill to show dividends on the clock and HPDE doesn't use a clock It is more difficult to drive and in my opinion less fun, especially for HPDE.
I'd contact LG Motorsports or Black Dog racing for aero options outside of Katech for proven results. No one has done wind tunnel testing besides Katech to my knowledge.
I found a vented hood and this[ http://www.duraflexbodykits.com/1997...-p-262882.html ] was helpful on a C5 FRC.
Aero should make the car much easier to drive at the limit. That's the whole point. Unless you have a horrible set up already.

To the OP: why are you opposed to a rear wing? That's easily one of the best aero mods you can do. Even a small nascar spoiler would help. If you end up doing a front splitter and side skirts only you will end up having a car that is very lose in the rear. Not ideal for the track.

What's your budget?

Last edited by ratt_finkel; 03-14-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:36 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by 7007vette
I have a 07 ZO6 which I would like to use for HPDE. I am interesting in installing basic aero, I was planning on using the Katech set up but the parts have been on back order for a long period of time. I am interested in proven (wind tunnel tested) set with a spoiler, splitter w/ under tray and side skirts. I am not looking for a set up which would require a rear wing. Can recommend a set up similar to the Katech set up?
Thanks,
peter
Depends on what you want to do with the rest of the car. There are a lot of options out there from simple bolt on parts to more extravagant pieces.

Keep in mind the entire car needs to work together so if you are going to do a big splitter and wing like our GT2 items, generally you are going to have to do some suspension upgrades too to handle the downforce if you are on some higher speed tracks (say 130 + mph) as it will bottom the car out.

The cars have always had an aero push so I would focus on the front to start with, it is easy enough to balance out the back of the car.

You can add front downforce with a splitter, and also with a properly vented louvered hood. A lot will think the hood is just there for cooling but if you can get the air through the nose and out the top of the hood then you effectively turn the nose of the car into a wing of sorts. It does also double as a cooling aid too.

If you want to start with some basics you can do our ZR1 carbon flat bottom splitter and side skirts. We have both of them in stock now and you can most certainly do these without adding anything to the back to start. Remember need to increase the front more than the rear to start with.

I know you are not looking right now, but I would for sure not start with a wing until you have something at the front of the car to balance it out, or you are going to have a heck of a high speed push.

I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Last edited by Anthony @ LGMotorsports; 03-14-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:37 PM
7007vette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although not a good reason regarding performance, I do not like the looks of a rear wing for a street driven car. I would purchase the Katech set up if they were available. I was hoping someone would chime in who may have some products from MTI or ACP or LG. The car is primarily a street car but I would like to improve the stability.

Last edited by 7007vette; 03-14-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:04 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

You say that...but the more I saw this car day in and day out..the more "normal" it became

Similar car here too...

Old 03-15-2016, 03:01 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 7007vette
Thanks,
peter
Splitters have been close to being on the shelf and once on the shelf for a brief period of time. We are always making them and as we put some on the shelf a few orders came in and put them on backorder. Those should be caught up soon.

Side skirts are now on the shelf.

Spoilers got in a very deep backorder during the carbon fiber shop changeover and we have not recovered from it. We are continuously making them, but running about 10-12 weeks behind right now.

The best thing to do on these items is to place a backorder, holding your spot. Clicking the link on our website to be notified when available will just tell you when we have parts on the shelf. If all parts made go only to backorders that email will never come.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for basic C6 Aero

Quick Reply: Looking for basic C6 Aero