Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler alert WEATHER TECH LONG BEACH RACE

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
not to start a argument, but the 911 is in the tire tracks of the Corvette, so how was the Corvette too wide........... the camera in the 912 is in the 912, therefore if the 912 is too far inside, the Corvette will look to be wide........
Were you watching the in car? Because what's shown here is just the aftermath.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:38 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 748 Likes on 431 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
not to start a argument, but the 911 is in the tire tracks of the Corvette, so how was the Corvette too wide........... the camera in the 912 is in the 912, therefore if the 912 is too far inside, the Corvette will look to be wide........
The key. That was the line all day long. It doesn't suddenly change.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:13 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jcsperson
The key. That was the line all day long. It doesn't suddenly change.
Passes for position in a road race are very..........very rarely made by following the racing line. That's not how it's done.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
Passes for position in a road race are very..........very rarely made by following the racing line. That's not how it's done.
If any pass contact is made it Is side by side and not a T Bone and behind the door to push the rear of the car. It was a foul by the 912 to better the 911 position. At Sebring they did it too early and still lost. IMSA needs to take action against the spoiled Porsche Brats.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Ames
If any pass contact is made it Is side by side and not a T Bone and behind the door to push the rear of the car. It was a foul by the 912 to better the 911 position. At Sebring they did it too early and still lost. IMSA needs to take action against the spoiled Porsche Brats.
Agreed, not sure if Bill32 had too many cocktails during the race.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:16 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

regardless just blows all the way around
Old 04-17-2016, 09:19 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Whis9
Agreed, not sure if Bill32 had too many cocktails during the race.
And your racing experience is ? Please post your resume.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:24 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Richard Ames
. It was a foul by the 912 to better the 911 position..
Do you have proof of that?

I'm not saying the Porsche was guilt free but if a car in front of me baubles like that I'm certainly going to move off line and see if a pass can be attempted.

Again, did the Porsche come in too hot, yea. But it was an attempt to set up a pass.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

Do you have proof of that?

I'm not saying the Porsche was guilt free but if a car in front of me baubles like that I'm certainly going to move off line and see if a pass can be attempted.

Again, did the Porsche come in too hot, yea. But it was an attempt to set up a pass.
You would actually TBone somebody to pass your avatar could not take it. Sorry but I cannot get your drift.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:33 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 91 Posts

Porsche had no chance of completing that pass. Vette looks to be right where it is supposed to be. Porsche is on a T-bone line.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:06 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

No doubt, but there has to be room. There was not only no room, he also didn't have position, and that is not an overtaking area on that track. Look at the tire tracks. Milner is on the very inside of every tire track through that turn. You couldn't put a go kart between him and the barrier.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:09 PM
promocop
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Im telling you, I'm watching this and I just FEEL the P cars going to do something and they did. For sure, that was a nasty and unsportanlike move by them...where is protests from team management??
Old 04-17-2016, 10:12 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

No doubt, but there has to be room. There was not only no room, he also didn't have position, and that is not an overtaking area on that track. Look at the tire tracks. Milner is on the very inside of every tire track through that turn. You couldn't put a go kart between him and the barrier.
Have you watched the in car vid from the 912?
I'm just askng from a perspective stand point.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:14 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

IMSA: Makowiecki takes blame for Corvette clash

Porsche North America racing driver Fred Makowiecki accepted blame for the late-race hit that spun Corvette Racing's Tommy Milner and handed victory to the sister Porsche 911 RSR. "The collision in the penultimate lap was my fault," the Frenchman (ABOVE) said after placing seventh in IMSA's BUBBA burger Sports Car Grand Prix at Long Beach. "I was a touch too optimistic heading into the corner."

a touch ??? is that a subtle admission of intent ?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:41 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Have you watched the in car vid from the 912?
I'm just askng from a perspective stand point.
Yup. It's right here:

Old 04-17-2016, 11:07 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Even if he would have made it in front of the corvette before the apex, how would he have made the turn? He'd be heading straight for the far wall, braking hard, and blocking the vette. How is that any better than driving the racing line and blocking the clearly faster Porsches?

Driving on a track that doesn't permit much passing in the turns is no justification for stupid driving.

No matter what any driver says, everyone knows that subconsciously we all know that the inside rear driver will fare far better than the front car when they touch, so the stupidity twists into cunning to the driver seeing red...
Old 04-17-2016, 11:12 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Yup. It's right here:
AS I said twice before, yea, the Porsche came in too hot.

But @20 seconds, the Corvette starts to loose traction under braking, the Porsche starts moving to the right looking for an opening but he was going too fast.

If the Corvette didn't have that bauble, he would have been a few feet further up the track, might have been hit anyway might not.

If the Corvette would have had to make one more correction, the Porsche may have had an opportunity to present himself and they could have had a good ol drag race to the next corner.

Get notified of new replies

To Spoiler alert WEATHER TECH LONG BEACH RACE

Old 04-17-2016, 11:36 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

So, if the Corvette does not bobble, the "too hot" Porsche hits the corner of the Vette and completes the pass instead of spinning the Corvette ?

the Porsche was out of control and was not making that corner even if the Vette was not there........
Old 04-17-2016, 11:42 PM
promocop
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

IMSA needs to penalize the P team for the next race. CLEARLY THE PORSCHE was headed to the wall...
Old 04-18-2016, 03:59 AM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

What really happened:

The Corvette was a tad too fast on corner exit in the previous corner and got squirrely, this caused him to drift out to the left a bit AND caused him to overslow.

The Corvette "Opened the door, driver's right" and the Porsche tried to put his nose in there to see if there would be an advantage on corner exit.

If the Corvette would have gone full throttle a couple of feet earlier (where he normally would have), he wouldn't have gotten tapped.

As someone else said, just a racing incident.
Well I guess that would be the standard Porsche defense statement and everybody is entitled to that but.........IMHO it sure looks like the kind of practiced take down move they teach at police driving schools and that coupled with the recent past history of Porsche is more than highly suspect. Is this how IMSA RACING will be handled in the future? Why shouldn't Corvette do EXACTLY THE SAME THING next time out? What is to prevent them from doing just that? Certainly not IMSA OFFICIALS. On the other hand it has gotten NASCAR high ratings in the past along with the inevitable soap opera continuation for who knows how long. Not why I watch road racing.

Quick Reply: Spoiler alert WEATHER TECH LONG BEACH RACE