Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day at LRP - Pirelli World Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 08:02 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Bad day at LRP - Pirelli World Challenge

Pretty serious accident last Saturday morning at LRP during GT practice.

I was looking elsewhere when it happened. Track was closed to racing for a few hours.

Hope for both drivers to fully recover.

http://www.motorsport.com/pwc/news/d...-crash-741426/
Old 05-31-2016, 09:31 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,061 Posts

And today's release, when the news actually is no news (statement courtesy of sportscar365):

The PWC statement, issued Tuesday evening, reads:

“As a follow up to the releases regarding the GT warmup accident in Saturday’s Pirelli World Challenge race at Lime Rock Park, the Series wants to thank our teams, drivers and fans for the tremendous outpouring of support for Andrew Palmer and Jorge De La Torre.

“Both drivers continue to receive treatment for their injuries at Hartford Hospital in Hartford, Conn. Hartford Hospital has not released further information at this time.

“The series will forward any detailed update on the drivers when received from a Hartford Hospital spokesperson. We thank everyone for respecting the families right to privacy as they concentrate on Andrew and Jorge’s hospitalization.”
Old 05-31-2016, 11:09 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Man I hope I never find myself in that situation. Such a helpless place to be.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:19 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

The lesson here is, even a Pro can get caught out . "Eyes up everyone." Then again I don't know the track and if it was a blind corner, but there must of been flags. A caution, and or surface condition flag? With the one car (AM) at a standstill in the runoff area could lead one to think that something happen that left fluid on the racing surface... (B) driver either did see the flagging or flagging didn't respond to the possibility?

Mark.

Last edited by Moto One; 05-31-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:22 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Man who knows? A yellow could be anything. Usually it's blatantly obvious, but when it's not it can turn out like this.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:55 AM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Saw this one out of the corner of my eye and knew instantly it was a very bad accident. This was not a situation of a driver not paying attention to flags as he went in basically at full speed (prob 120+) and it prob was due to fluid or mechanical failure and from the quick video I saw that another spectator took he (Palmer) looked to be partially off track well before T1. You could not even see the Bentley bc it was so far off in the woods. It had all the signs of a fatality but I am happy it was not so, at least for the moment.

I also think the complete lack of info other than the very basic is not a good sign. I was standing next to Andy Palmer's Dad (Bentley driver) when he came up and said "what the hell is going on, no one is saying anything". As a Father it killed me bc I knew it was a very bad accident and at the time really thought one or both of them didn't make it. It was that bad, but I hope for the best for both drivers
Old 06-01-2016, 11:29 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 06-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

From some of the guys around me; the Aston Martin overshot turn one and traveled down the run-off, turned around, approached the turn and was waiting for traffic to clear before re-entering the course.

The run-off is a straight road at the end of the main straight.

Something happened to the Bentley, as he was traveling much to fast for turn one (maybe brake failure or stuck throttle, no one knows yet), and he just ran over the AM, ending up in the woods.

Last edited by Subfixer; 06-01-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad day at LRP - Pirelli World Challenge

Quick Reply: Bad day at LRP - Pirelli World Challenge