Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I run on a road coarse...help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Sirk17
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Should I run on a road coarse...help!!

I have the opportunity to run on a road coarse with a bunch of exotics for a private event at Palm Beach international Speedway to be specific. Im not sure if its a timed event or if there would be multiple cars running. I have a twin turbo C5 z06 that it not really set up for a road coarse. Its really a street car...has been lowered on true summer street tires and is running a low dust possible ceramic pad. I guess my question is other than out right wrecking the car what other issues should I be aware of before I make the call to take a lap or two. Also I have NO road coarse experiences.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:36 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Your making a big step. If you park the ego, you can enjoy the day. Tell people about your lack of experience and my bet is they will help you .do not try to show anyone how fast you think your car is. My bet is it will overheat if you really try to go fast. Find someone that will do a lead and follow or better get a ride in another car before you go out in your car. Get an instructor to ride with you, and listen to him. Possibly download a map of the track and try to learn about it before you arrive.
Stuff comes at you very fast on track, not a great place to get confused.
With these thoughts, I say, GO,
Old 06-13-2016, 12:14 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will need to upgrade the brakes, pads, high temp dot4 fluid at minimum.

The back straight at PBIR is a long one, and fast (with twin turbos you will be hauling). Braking for turn 9 is very demanding, brake failures are pretty common there and cars meet the wall.

I say go for it, you don't need to go for lap times, just legally stretch the legs on the c5. I like PBIR, fun track, with some nice sustained corners, good flow.

BRAKES!
Old 06-13-2016, 01:42 PM
JEPopp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Racer86
Your making a big step. If you park the ego, you can enjoy the day. Tell people about your lack of experience and my bet is they will help you .do not try to show anyone how fast you think your car is. My bet is it will overheat if you really try to go fast. Find someone that will do a lead and follow or better get a ride in another car before you go out in your car. Get an instructor to ride with you, and listen to him. Possibly download a map of the track and try to learn about it before you arrive.
Stuff comes at you very fast on track, not a great place to get confused.
With these thoughts, I say, GO,
X2 with Racer86

...and watch your brakes. Streetable "low dust" pads won't last long at the track when you're driving hard. Make time to watch in-car video from the track (from a GOOD driver) and take note of the driving line - this way you won't be completely green when you get on track.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

As everyone else said, your brakes aren't up to task. Address those issues and as a first timer you should have fun... Just watch the long stretch, you can build up a lot of speed, and if brakes aren't there, its no fun... Do your braking in a straight line!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:06 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Here was my first time at PBIR, not a great line, but fun...

Old 06-13-2016, 03:21 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Turn the boost down if you can till you're used to it.

Some turbo setups, not saying yours, comes on strong all at once.
That can snap the car around.

Need to find and instructor that drives a boosted car.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:23 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

if your worried about it don't do it. Take the Camry.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:34 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Run with a bunch of exotics.... and you're new to the sport? Phew, thats a tough one. Might be good to sit it out and spectate/ride along this go around.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:45 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Are there no instructors to ride along with the newbies? If not, ask yourself if you want to be on track with everyone else asking themselves the same questions as you. Go to a well organized HPDE. You will enjoy it more, be much safer and much better prepared for the next opportunity. Your car will also come back the same color as when you left.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:30 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Course>Coarse

In one word, no.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 PM
Dennisscars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The slowest driver in the slowest car in the slowest group is having more fun than anyone in the stands.

Pair up with someone who will lead follow. Go with the only expectation to enjoy the day.

Everyone was a newb at one time. I started with the intention to only do a couple track days a year, I'll break 200 by this time next year.

Do it!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:34 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

Not knowing who the event organizer is or how it will be structured, if there is a novice group with provided instructors, it would be fun provided your car is well prepared, newish tires with good tread, low end track pads, high temp dot fluid should see you through the day ending with a VBG. You'll have to know hand signals, passing lanes, flags, and track rules/etiquette and it can be overwhelming for the inexperienced, not to mention not safe. Nothing worse than being intimidated by more experienced drivers to ruin your first time out.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Dennisscars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed, not a lot of info, but "take a lap or two" sounds like parade laps and not time attack.

Boring day at the track is better than any day at work.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Sirk17
Burning Brakes

This is a marketing event by a friends or a friends liquor company. I don't know the cars that will be on the track but Im being told 30-40 Exotics and the track will be open to those who wish to drive it. There is a track held safety meeting that must be attended in the AM. My perception is this will be a bunch of rich guys that have never seen track time. Im hoping the drag strip will be open too but im not sure. Im going 100% but I think it will be a same day call if I run as im not looking to change my cars set up at all.
Im also not looking to get Gallardo Green dragged down the side of my car.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:30 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Get ready for idiots.

This should be a parade lap type of deal. Any number of people will get totally crazy though. I predict they'll hang back and then accelerate to get on your bumper. They may even try to pass you.

There will be too much macho behavior for my taste. And, you have no idea how controlled the event will be.

Skip this event and sign up for a Chin event at Sebring.

Richard Newton
Track Days 101
Old 06-14-2016, 08:57 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Southern Son and RFN06 are spot on, other than parade laps, no one who has never been on track should go out without classroom and an instructor. Watching video won't help - it's ok for an experienced driver to review lines but with no experience you will never know where the driver is looking just watching a video.

Do parade laps, that's fine but anything with speed you need track brake pads, DOT4 high temp brake fluid and a checked ego. You really have too much motor for a first timer which will make it harder. On the parade laps I'll give you odds that people hold back into the straight, then nail it and over brake at the end so they can go around the corners slowly (compared to a track Knowledgable driver).

If you want to really learn sign up with NASA, CHIN, Hooked On Driving, etc and attend schools. You'll be much safer and learn more.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I run on a road coarse...help!!

Old 06-14-2016, 09:12 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Pass on this one, then come on up to forum member Henry Gilbert's event Sep 30-Oct 2 (you can do 1, 2, or all 3 days).

Henry's organization PDG (Performance Driving Group) puts on a great HPDE. You'll get four 30 minute sessions each day for about 2 hours of track time per day.

Check it out here - click on "Events" and you'll see Sebring, Homestead, and a bunch of Daytonas (for the different dates and number of days you want to run):

http://performancedrivinggroup.com

For real first-time track newbies, there's an event at Daytona in Dec as well that is very good for totally inexperienced drivers. Here's a link to the organizer's site - go down to the bottom of the page to see the Dec 9-11 Daytona event info:

http://www.audiclubohiovalley.org

C'ya at the track!!
Old 06-14-2016, 09:34 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

You'll regret the day you try and track that car with twin turbo's on it, you've been warned.

Even parade laps with this car on crap brake pads has the potential to get out of hand when testosterone comes into play with a totally green driver and this much power on tap. I've seen some crazy stuff when newbs want to swing their pecker around on a parade lap.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:48 AM
Sirk17
Burning Brakes

Based on what Im hearing Im pretty sure ill skip it. Pretty much confirms all my fears about it.
The following users liked this post:
rfn026 (06-15-2016)

Quick Reply: Should I run on a road coarse...help!!