Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR HPDE in C7 Z06/Z07

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default VIR HPDE in C7 Z06/Z07

I got my C7 Z06 with Z07 package in March, and just got 1500 miles on it. I took it to the track for the first time to the NCM HPDE June 27-28, and I haven't been out to Spring Mt yet so this was my first experience with the C7 on the track. I had the Stage 2 splitter end plates up front, and Stage 1 spoiler extensions on the rear - that's what I've been running on the street, and for the first track event I didn't plan on running the car real hard so didn't feel the need to swap on the full Stage 3 aero.

During prep with Castrol SRF, 15w50, and a minimal alignment, I swapped my MPSC2's back on - I had been running PSS's on the street. I removed one washer front and back, but replaced the stock washers with ones about 1/2 as thick. Camber was around negative 1.6 to 1.8 all around. I checked the toe and it was Zero up front and very slight toe-in for the rear and I left that alone. Rear caster was not what I would like - it was Zero on the right, but very slightly negative on the left. I just received a set of Granatelli adjustable tie-rod type rear toe links, but didn't put them in yet. When I get home I'll install them and do a better alignment - probably with some positive rear caster and a bit of toe-out up front, although turn-in is really nice on the car with the Zero toe I had at this event.

However.....Holy Keerap!!! This car is FANTASTIC on the track!!! I really enjoyed feeling out its track manners during this 2 day event, but WOW!! - it really is a fantastic handling car!!

Forum member JDillon was there and I took him for a ride. JD has a C7 Z06 as well, but hasn't had it on the track. In the video below you can see that I pulled into pit lane after a couple laps and turned it over to JD. I hope he'll chime in with his thoughts on the car, but I know he feels he could do a lot better climbing the uphill esses with the downforce of the full Stage 3 aero. Otherwise I think he was impressed with the brakes and overall handling of the car.

Unfortunately I'm still figuring out a lot of stuff about the car, and I thought I had set the S/F line during previous sessions, but I guess it didn't take so there's no track map or lap times, but I think our better laps were maybe around 2:10.

Here's our PDR video (Edit: I just took a quick review of the video and by way of explanation - we were running in the black group this session, and I started out in Track-Dry PTM mode just so we could hear it working a couple times, then switched to Track-Sport 1 for the rest of the session):

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-30-2016 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
arturox2 (07-02-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 11:31 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Bob,
That was a fun video. Just listening to you and Jim talking was great.

Bill
Old 06-30-2016, 02:12 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Nice! I'm glad to see someone else really enjoying how great this car is on track.

I was there the weekend prior to the NCM event and played around with the stage 1, 2, and 3 rear aero (I stayed with stage 3 front). I didn't see as significant an effect on VMAX as I expected but the stage 3 spoiler really helped settle the car in the uphill esses. In the end I went back to running the full stage 3.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:24 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I feel guilty!! I went out and beat on Bob's new car and mine was sitting in the pits all nice and clean. LOL!! I was really impressed with how easy the car is to drive at speed. And I do think that the stage 3 is the way to go at VIR. Although I pushed Bob's car fairly hard, I have not driven VIR in 2 years and the car went were I pointed it and stayed there. I really had a ball driving the car. We checked oil temp at the end of that session and it was 260, so not to bad. If I was really going to push the car, I would have liked to do some laps using 2nd gear on some of the corners and I think the lap times would come down quite a bit. Overall lots of fun to drive. I would some the car up this way. If you want a great street car that makes a very good track car, this is a great car. If you want a great track car that you can street. I would find a naturally aspirated car. Just my thoughts. JD
I want to thank Bob for letting me drive the car. Actually he wouldn't take no for an answer. LOL!!!
NOTE to Sean: that was my take also, that the stage 3 would really help in the Ss. Bob only had on stage 1 and I got the car pretty loose at the top of the Ss and had to slow the car before the right hander.

Last edited by JDIllon; 06-30-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:13 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Not to hijack this thread too far JD but where do you think 2nd would help? I use 2nd out of Oak Tree and it definitely helps there. I've played around with it in T4 but honestly you can't put the power down and have to short shift anyway.

I'm just curious on your perspective given that you've been doing this a lot longer than I have.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:58 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Not to hijack this thread too far JD but where do you think 2nd would help? I use 2nd out of Oak Tree and it definitely helps there. I've played around with it in T4 but honestly you can't put the power down and have to short shift anyway.

I'm just curious on your perspective given that you've been doing this a lot longer than I have.
Mainly Oak Tree, and I didn't drive the car long enough to tell if it would help in 1 and 4. After watching some VIR videos several years ago of guys running fast times, many use 2nd in 1,4,14 and Oak Tree. In the C6 I used it on those corners. You have run VIR a lot more with your C7 and I am sure your knowledge is better than mine. I now know why you are always smiling!!! LOL! JD
Old 07-01-2016, 10:20 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDIllon
I feel guilty!! I went out and beat on Bob's new car and mine was sitting in the pits all nice and clean. LOL!!....
Naw - I was glad to see you put it through its paces and get your opinion of the car, and especially your guidance on a couple of sections of the track - exit of T1, the uphill esses, and T14/14a.

And I especially agree with your reply to Poor-sha:

...I now know why you are always smiling!!! LOL!

BTW - next I need some good guidance on my ski technique this winter!!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-01-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added BTW
Old 07-01-2016, 01:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha

Mainly Oak Tree, and I didn't drive the car long enough to tell if it would help in 1 and 4. After watching some VIR videos several years ago of guys running fast times, many use 2nd in 1,4,14 and Oak Tree. In the C6 I used it on those corners. You have run VIR a lot more with your C7 and I am sure your knowledge is better than mine. I now know why you are always smiling!!! LOL! JD
I have tried using second out of Oak Tree but based on Doc Hill's comment that you should be at 115 when passing the S/F tower on the left I haven't seen any appreciable difference in speed there or at the end of the straight whether I use 2nd or 3rd. Of course Sean is running a lot faster lap time than I am but I am getting closer.

Bill
Old 07-01-2016, 10:53 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

I really enjoyed watching you two have fun at VIR. I never got to run it in a high HP car and that track is great for a power car.

Also thanks for all your help on the chat board. Bob. The 4" brake cooling mod Jim D.worked with me on helped big time and Bill, after I consumed my OEM C6 Z06 front calipers I now have Wilwood Aero6 calipers and GT72 rotors that I'll try out on a (short) track in a couple of weeks. It will be the first track time for my now HCI LS7.

Last edited by AzDave47; 07-01-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:11 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Bob and Jim, I loved the video. The talking ready made this one great. I got a big chuckle @ 3:52.

Mike
Old 07-02-2016, 11:50 AM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Bob and Jim,

Thank you for the video! I own a 2015 Callaway Z06 w/Z07 and this was my first time on a track other than Spring Mountain course, so I drove all eight sessions in the Green group. My instructor had me take a slightly different line on some of the turns, so your video gave me another excellent perspective. Also I see where I an pick up time with more speed, especially in the climbing S's. I had a blast!!

My instructor drove the car with me in the passenger seat and pushed it hard for two additional sessions. He couldn't believe how well the car handled!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:20 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Good video! Thanks for posting it Bob/JD.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:23 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by arturox2
...My instructor drove the car with me in the passenger seat and pushed it hard for two additional sessions. He couldn't believe how well the car handled!
Yeah - the car really handles amazingly well. I'm going to fine tune my track alignment, especially the rear caster, before my next track event. But even with a minimal alignment adjustment before this event (mainly just a slight increase in negative camber) the car really is solid!!

Originally Posted by US Icon
Bob and Jim, I loved the video. The talking ready made this one great. I got a big chuckle @ 3:52.

Mike
Hi Mike

We were talking to each other over a Chatterbox, so we weren't yelling at each other. But the PDR picked up the talking pretty well.

I wonder if there's a way to get the Chatterbox or other microphone input directly into the PDR?

Old 07-05-2016, 12:50 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Great video and comments! Seems like an awesome car.

Now that you've had it on track how do you compare it to your ZR1 on a road course?
Old 07-05-2016, 01:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Great video and comments! Seems like an awesome car.

Now that you've had it on track how do you compare it to your ZR1 on a road course?
Hi Jeremy

After running the C7 Z07 and commenting to my wife, she said "how can it be any different from your other cars?"

I don't know what they did to it, but believe me, the C7 is several notches above the performance of the C6. It just seems to turn in better, seems much more balanced and predictable during the turn and when tracking out, and the "Track" mode really tightens up the magnetic shocks and the steering and make the car really feel very comfortable to drive hard and fast. And I need to fine tune my alignment - especially the rear caster - so it might even be better after that! I also only had about Stage 1-1/2 aero on it, so it should be a lot better in the turns when I have the full Stage 3 on it, but for less drag to get higher top speed I'll try Stage 1-1/2, then go to 2, and 3 at Daytona to see what works best.

I totally agree with what Poor-sha said in another thread: "Even on a bumpy track with lots of transitions and camber changes I could make the car do pretty much anything I wanted. Just sublime. I love this car."

Edit: Let me add also that I REALLY like the seating in the C7!!! I have the Competition seats, but I think the Touring seats probably keep you in place a lot better than the C6 as well.

In addition, at 6'2" I have the seat back and down. In the C6 the steering wheel was quite far away from me even adjusted all the way out, and my arms were more straight than I would like. In the C7 the adjustable steering wheel comes back so my arms have a nice bend in them and it's a much more comfortable driving position.

I've been heel-n-toeing ever since I learned to drive in my Dad's '57 VW Beetle (yikes!!! that was about 56 years ago!!!). My wife and I have never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission until I got an F150 3 years ago to tow my car to track events. I've always done heel-n-toe downshifts, or at least throttle blips when downshifting, even when driving on the street in all our manual transmission cars or my Harleys.

So....I KNOW how to heel-n-toe!!!

Butt....that being said, the Active Rev Matching in the C7 is REALLY CL!!! I LUV just mashing the brake, downshifting and getting that automatic throttle blip, and letting the clutch out for a perfectly smooth downshift with absolutely no jerk of the driveline.

Overall - the C7 is an outstanding car on the track!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-05-2016 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added info about seats/steering wheel/rev matching
Old 07-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats Bob on your new vette glad to see you'll enjoying yourself.
I see your fine tuning your alignment, I've been doing the same but I think I have enhanced the sensitivity of my traction control even when it's in competition mode. I'm at the Glen with this new pavement, and with every corner I'm either near 1 G or greater and then the anchor comes out. I appreciate any imput
Old 07-07-2016, 12:28 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Bob, wow !!! that was awsome !!!!! any track days at Sebring your going to be doing ? cause I might have to put in for a day off !

Get notified of new replies

To VIR HPDE in C7 Z06/Z07

Old 07-07-2016, 04:08 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 08velocity
Bob, wow !!! that was awsome !!!!! any track days at Sebring your going to be doing ? cause I might have to put in for a day off !
Hi Scott

I don't think I'll be doing any events for the next couple months. Linda will be getting a new hip next week, so I'll be doing the caregiver thing for a while.

I'll definitely be doing Daytona Sep2-Oct3 with Performance Driving Group - you've probably seen this thread here in this section of the forum:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...this-fall.html

So - you should sign up for the event!! Or, at least come on out one of those three days of the event and I'll run you around the track so you can see the new car in action!!

Old 07-07-2016, 04:19 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Flying24
Congrats Bob on your new vette glad to see you'll enjoying yourself.
I see your fine tuning your alignment, I've been doing the same but I think I have enhanced the sensitivity of my traction control even when it's in competition mode. I'm at the Glen with this new pavement, and with every corner I'm either near 1 G or greater and then the anchor comes out. I appreciate any imput
Hi Tom

Is this in your supercharged C6? If so, I don't know why it would be doing that.

You need a little toe-in in the rear to settle it during acceleration out of the turns, so check that.

In the C7, rear caster has become a big item of attention during alignment. The rear end can get squirrely if the rear caster isn't adjusted properly in the C7. We've never had to be concerned about rear caster before, but now it's a hot item.

The following users liked this post:
Flying24 (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:05 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hi Scott

I don't think I'll be doing any events for the next couple months. Linda will be getting a new hip next week, so I'll be doing the caregiver thing for a while.

I'll definitely be doing Daytona Sep2-Oct3 with Performance Driving Group - you've probably seen this thread here in this section of the forum:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...this-fall.html

So - you should sign up for the event!! Or, at least come on out one of those three days of the event and I'll run you around the track so you can see the new car in action!!

H Bob, best wishes for Linda's recovery. Remember to contact us if you plan a trip to the GC. I'll make the Daytona 24 one of these years.

Dave

Quick Reply: VIR HPDE in C7 Z06/Z07