Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z51 OEM Rotors vs DBA 4000 T3, Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:18 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Default C7 Z51 OEM Rotors vs DBA 4000 T3, Thoughts?

I'm going to need to replace my OEM fronts on my C7 Z51 and am looking at either OEM or DBA 4000 T3. I have no experience with DBA, are they quality? I've never had problems with OEM rotors on either my C7 Z51 or Camaro ZL1. OEM rotors appear to be about $50 cheaper for the fronts (each).
Old 07-25-2016, 03:13 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And the OEM, aside from the hype to the contrary, are probably better or, at a minimum, as good. Most of the hype is generated by the "sellers" of stuff.

Are they really needing replacement or just have some cracking .... I think they are thicker than the aftermarket stuff.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:53 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have used both on my track Z06 and my preference would be the DBA rotors. They are a quality product and worth the money. I got an average of 50% greater longevity using DBA even when combined with very aggressive track pads. Driving style - all street VS street/track makes a difference. Street only, go with which ever is cheaper, combo use DBA all the way.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:50 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I have used both on my track Z06 and my preference would be the DBA rotors. They are a quality product and worth the money. I got an average of 50% greater longevity using DBA even when combined with very aggressive track pads. Driving style - all street VS street/track makes a difference. Street only, go with which ever is cheaper, combo use DBA all the way.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:54 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

For the street I don't think it makes a difference. Since I've been putting the car on the track it does matter. I've been using the DBAs on the rear and they work well (Essex 2-piece in the front).

Also note that there is a new OEM front rotor which doesn't require the cooling rings for track use. These may be better than the original OEM rotors, but I have not seen them yet, never mind tried one or know someone who has tried one.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:49 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Just substitute GS for Z06. If the C7's use drilled rotors, I suggest staying away from them for track use. I like the curved slots in the DBA's, they seem to be less prone to cracking. I have noticed a trend to go to solid rotors too.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:00 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikeCsix

Just substitute GS for Z06. If the C7's use drilled rotors, I suggest staying away from them for track use. I like the curved slots in the DBA's, they seem to be less prone to cracking. I have noticed a trend to go to solid rotors too.
C7 OEM rotors are slotted, not drilled.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:19 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
Are they really needing replacement or just have some cracking .... I think they are thicker than the aftermarket stuff.
I was starting to get bad brake shudder under braking. I've since sanded the surface of the rotors and that seemed to help a bit. Probably build up for the track pads. Right now it is just surface cracking, nothing you can feel with your nail so I figure I have a couple more weekends out of them.

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis

Also note that there is a new OEM front rotor which doesn't require the cooling rings for track use. These may be better than the original OEM rotors, but I have not seen them yet, never mind tried one or know someone who has tried one.
Interesting, I hadn't heard of a new OEM rotor without cooling rings. Link?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:50 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
I was starting to get bad brake shudder under braking. I've since sanded the surface of the rotors and that seemed to help a bit. Probably build up for the track pads. Right now it is just surface cracking, nothing you can feel with your nail so I figure I have a couple more weekends out of them.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of a new OEM rotor without cooling rings. Link?
Look in the general C7 forum. I believe someone even listed the part number.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:22 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Much better longevity with the DBAs.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Look in the general C7 forum. I believe someone even listed the part number.
I've searched everywhere and can not find this - can anyone help? That's C7 Z51 front new oem rotors that don't require the cooling rings?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 PM
NT4HIM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 08-23-2016, 11:54 AM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a GM Service Bulletin on this. Stock Z51 rotors are prone to runout problems (warping). The solution is the new one piece rotor shown here. GM Service Bulleting specifically says that dealer service department should only replace individual rotors that exceed the runout limit. So, they will not bite the bullet for simply replacing all four and avoiding future warranty problems. My service guy would not tell me what the limit is.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, I shared it with my dealer and got the good news I was needing to hear.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z51 OEM Rotors vs DBA 4000 T3, Thoughts?

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 OEM Rotors vs DBA 4000 T3, Thoughts?