Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to look for autocross tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:09 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Starting to look for autocross tires

I'm starting a search for new autocross tires for my '93 coupe. I had been running A6's in 275/40-17 and they may have one more event on them before they cord, but I guess the price of A7's is getting to be a lot of money for the number of events I attend. I thought about Hankook's Ventus Z214 but I can't find the C71 autocross compound in that size, just the C51. Did Hankook quit making that particular tire in size and compound match? Is the C51 compound soft enough for autocross? It's described more for track day use.

Anyone running the NITTO NT-01 in that same size? I don't have to worry about treadwear and if nothing else, they are a lot less money compared to other tires.

I thought about going to an 18" wheel, but doing that brings the costs back up.

Ideas Suggestions??
Old 01-29-2017, 05:59 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I'm starting a search for new autocross tires for my '93 coupe. I had been running A6's in 275/40-17 and they may have one more event on them before they cord, but I guess the price of A7's is getting to be a lot of money for the number of events I attend. I thought about Hankook's Ventus Z214 but I can't find the C71 autocross compound in that size, just the C51. Did Hankook quit making that particular tire in size and compound match? Is the C51 compound soft enough for autocross? It's described more for track day use.

Anyone running the NITTO NT-01 in that same size? I don't have to worry about treadwear and if nothing else, they are a lot less money compared to other tires.

Ideas Suggestions??
I know a guy who used to run NT-01's in that size but on a 4th Gen Camaro. He was plenty fast enough on them. However, for auto-x the newer crop of 200TW tires is as fast or faster. You will not find them in that size however.

If your going to stick to 17" wheels you'll need to run 255/40/17's to get the best rubber. I would give up width on the 17's to get the best compound. RE71R, Rival S, maybe the new Hankook RS4. God only know....the tire wars are alive and well.

If your not attending that many events it sounds like your not particul;ary into the compeition aspect of it. I would run some good 255's and just have fun. The older but BETTER wearing Dunlap ZII* are still a favorite of mine. I've had 3 sets. Two sets got 200+ runs out of them. The third I got 2.5 years ago for some track day stuff and they are still in good shape because I have not used them much. They are not THAT much slower than the RE71R and still better than many newer tires unless they are the NEWEST tires.

Last edited by 93Rubie; 01-29-2017 at 06:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
c4cruiser (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 06:09 PM
conemark
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Ideas Suggestions??
The C51 compound is a tad harder than the C71. The tech info shows the C7x coming "up to temp" at around 118 degrees with the C5x around 138. As a point of comparison, the A7 is around 110.

Hope this info helps.
The following users liked this post:
c4cruiser (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

If you want to stay with a R compound tire and do not want to spend $1340 for a set of Hoosier tires, try the BFG R1S tires and save $200.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:17 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

I did a major hillclimb event in November, first 4 cars in the street reg 2wd open capacity class were all on the new Yokohama AD08R tyres. (they were all turbo skylines)
after what I saw I will be putting some on my car for the new season !
Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Forgot to mention that I also have a set of already mounted Hoosier R6's but they are a pair of 275/40-17's and 315/35-17. I hadn't thought of using these as the C4 likes a "square" tire setup. They came with the car and I have not used them and I may sell them at some point.

I have read that the Hoosier R6 compound is similar to the Hankook C51 compound. True or would the R6 be too hard for AX? Our courses are on an airport runway (asphalt) and run just over .8 miles in length with typical times in the high 50 seconds.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a set of A6s that I got from a guy doing AX with them. I haven't AX'ed with them, but plenty of people do.

If you do want to get rid of them, I know a guy that maybe interested down here in Portland.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:34 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Maybe I missed it, but... what class?

And Rival S's aren't R comps, not even all that close, but getting closer. I own both, won a lot of National events last year on both. The Rival S uses a R1S compound, I'm pretty sure of that, but that's not really a very soft compound. But the construction is far, far from the performance level of an R-comp. A comparison of AS times to SSR times (like I said I've run both) will clearly show the speed difference.

Again, I'd ask what class, because if speed is the desire none of those are going to run with a Hoosier. Also if you have a proper fit tire to rim, the A7 wears better across the middle than the A6 did. In some cases significantly. But of course the more abrasive the surface the faster they wear (any tire will but it's amplified on a softer, quicker tire).
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting to look for autocross tires

Quick Reply: Starting to look for autocross tires