Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Dog Racing C6Z Fascia and Splitter

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 02:42 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Black Dog Racing C6Z Fascia and Splitter

This post is in response to several questions on the Black Dog Racing fascia and splitter coming from ad ad i placed in the Parts for Sale section so I'm addressing these question here.

These are good products intended for track use; they are not show quality although maybe they could be under the right circumstances. The Black Dog splitter is carbon fiber and the fascia can be ordered in either carbon fiber of fiberglass. A little background – my car was built by Pfadt Race Engineering in Salt Lake City and was primarily driven at Miller Motorsports Park in the desert west of SLC so cooling was a design priority. It came with an OEM fascia and a Pfadt prototype splitter. I have two oil coolers, one on each side that get air from the fog light openings and vent into the wheel wells. The design of the Pfadt splitter was very similar to Black Dog’s splitter. My experience tends to indicate that the front downforce is increased with the Black Dog parts vs the OEM fascia and Pfadt splitter. My car has very neutral handling with 315’s up front and 345’s rear, but that could just be due to all of the sorting out that was required after my Road Atlanta crash. I’ve also noted that my top speeds at both VIR and Road Atlanta were slightly reduced after installing the Black Dog parts, probably due to the increase resistance due to higher downforce. (Just my opinion, no data)

The Black Dog Fascia is longer than the OEM part but attaches the same as OEM to the fenders and brace across the front of the radiator. The Black Dog splitter is a very sturdy, roughly ½ thick carbon fiber piece with a contour that also adds stiffness. I was able to use the Pfadt mounting brackets to support the splitter. This configuration is sufficiently stiff to not require any additional bracing to the front of the splitter. That’s the good news.

In order to install the Black Dog splitter, you will need to modify the lower radiator bracket and that means a new radiator. The new radiator was not compatible with the OEM radiator fan so a new, smaller fan was used. This configuration works fine on the track but overheats in the pits.
You will also need to design and fabricate an air box to route the air from the grille thru the radiator. This box needs to be fairly sturdy. The original air box broke into pieces at Pitt Race before they repaved the track last fall.

Your front tow hook will not work w/o modification. Since the Black Dog Fascia is longer and lower in front, you’ll need a longer and lower tow hook. To solve this problem, the Pfadt tow hook, which is a fairly light weight part, was reformed to provide a lower presentation of the hook then a nylon tow strap was added to increase the length. So the tow hook is actually behind the grill and only the strap comes out thru the grill.

My car is presently apart getting a new engine. I’ve asked Jerry Onks to take some pics of the brackets, air box and tow hook and I’ll post them as soon as they are available. That might be a while since the car may not be on a lift at this time.

WRT to cooling, my car runs very reasonable oil and water temps on track. Water is generally around 190*F or so and oil stays around 240*F.

Jim
Old 02-19-2017, 12:26 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Jim,

Got your PM and thanks for this post. After posting in your older for sale thread asking about these products, I read another thread detailing the custom fab required to get these parts to work. It's more than I am looking for and think I'm changing my direction to the LG GT 2 splitter setup. I think that setup will be more my speed in terms of installing. Thank you for the feedback though, it definitely helped me from going in a direction not suited for me. Hopefully it helps others as well as there wasnt much feedback on these parts out there in the interweb. :-)
Pete
Old 02-24-2017, 02:39 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

The race noses are nice but not many know what goes into making the frame work, supports, and modifications that are needed to get those on a Corvette using stock radiator/fenders/hood.

That has always been one of the great things about the GT2 splitter, basic install is very easy and doesn't require a lot to do. You can always make them longer and add other supports later if you want to do something custom but install is 1/4 of the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Black Dog Racing C6Z Fascia and Splitter

Quick Reply: Black Dog Racing C6Z Fascia and Splitter