Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finspeed VS CCW

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 02:10 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

That's a shame. Finspeed made great wheels, strong and sexy. I think this is a tough market to be in, lots of companies selling similar product. Worst of all, old forged wheels get sold and repurchased over and over again. It's hard to get new customers except by cannibalizing someone else's product.

A bit too pricey for me but I liked them a lot.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I heard back from CCW yesterday. Apparently they can only knurl beads up to 17" rims. It's a real shame about Finspeed.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:35 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

It is too bad about Finspeed. Sorry to hear that.

My most recent 2 sets of wheels have been TS12's from CCW. I have never had a single issue with any of my CCW's and always received decent service so I stuck with them.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:50 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try using hairspray instead of tire lube. It will help prevent the tires from slipping on the rims.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:21 PM
DJFIN
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Finspeed isn't out of business. Spoke with Dan today. A partnership issue caused a temporary shutdown. He hopes to have resolved this week, and will be addressing as soon as it is cleared up.
The following users liked this post:
GSpeed (04-11-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

What about forgeline?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:54 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Whis9
What about forgeline?
A company not temporarily out of business, with great customer support, who stand behind their wheels.

Just look at the new Camaro, Mustang and Porsche spec race cars. They are coming spec'd with Forgelines, that says quite a bit!

Not only are they functional, but look great! I have two sets, looking to buy a third soon.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:19 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
A company not temporarily out of business, with great customer support, who stand behind their wheels.

Just look at the new Camaro, Mustang and Porsche spec race cars. They are coming spec'd with Forgelines, that says quite a bit!

Not only are they functional, but look great! I have two sets, looking to buy a third soon.
YMMV but in my case (C6Z), I had an absolute disaster of an experience with CCW where John took my order in Dec and never entered it into their order management system; fast forward to March and I call looking for a status and am informed John has left and there is no sign of my order and would need to be started from scratch causing me to miss a couple of events.

So I gave Forgeline a call and ordered up a set of 18x11, 18x13 GS1R's, shot peened, in satin black. Should arrive towards the end of the month.

In addition, Forgeline confirmed that an 18x11 with a medium concave will clear the CP9668 372mm brakes from AP

~~~ EDIT: There seems to be conflicting information on everything below; I'll have to get the wheels in and run them up to bump stop on the rear and see what's what. ~~~

If you are running 18x13's in the rear with drop spindles, PLEASE read this thread as it contains important information regarding contact between LCA and inside of rim at bump stop travel which you need to check to ensure you don't suffer a catastrophic failure: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594360134

Last edited by carefulnow; 04-09-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by carefulnow
YMMV but in my case, I had an absolute disaster of an experience with CCW where John took my order in Dec and never entered it into their order management system; fast forward to March and I call looking for a status and am informed John has left and there is no sign of my order and would need to be started from scratch causing me to miss a couple of events.

So I gave Forgeline a call and ordered up a set of 18x11, 18x13 GS1R's, shot peened, in satin black. Should arrive towards the end of the month.

If you are running 18x13's in the rear, PLEASE read this thread as it contains important information regarding contact between LCA and inside of rim at bump stop travel which you need to check to ensure you don't suffer a catastrophic failure: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594360134
I had a similar experience with CCW. I ordered in January, was told a March delivery. I pinged them before my last event and was told that they had a broken lathe and it was delayed. I pinged them again last week and was told that my sales guy had left and aluminim stock had just arrived for my wheel so I'm looking at another 6-8 weeks. So I'm not looking at a 6 month order to delivery time from CCW. I would have ordered from Finspeed again but they never returned my messages.

As far as the thread you reference, that is specific to the folks running LG drop spindles. In stock form the UCA will contact at full droop. It makes mounting the wheels kind of a PITA as they won't really seat properly until you compress the suspension.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:34 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
As far as the thread you reference, that is specific to the folks running LG drop spindles. In stock form the UCA will contact at full droop. It makes mounting the wheels kind of a PITA as they won't really seat properly until you compress the suspension.
Sounds like you had the same facepalm moment I did...

Yes i should have mentioned, this is specific to running drop spindles. I'll edit the above for clarity.

Here's what another member (C6RAPTOR) needed to do (notching) to avoid this problem:

Last edited by carefulnow; 04-09-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

That's quite excessive and I would almost say fear mongering. I've been running LG drop spindles on my car since 2011 with zero issues running 18x13 rear wheels. Why? Because Anthony clearly explained to me what needed to be done when I ordered them lol! He was actually nice enough to machine my lower controll arms to clearance them.

Now in regards to the guy in Norway:

1) That video that you posted has zero to do with that guy and is actually of a completely different car lol! The guy from Norway had a yellow C6Z with aero.

2) He never experienced a wheel failure.

So please stop propogating a myth and associating a video of a vehicle crashing to parts from a certain vendor that has absolutely nothing to do with it!.

To clarify the guy in Norway was concerend because he noticed his track wheels rubbed when he ran his car at the Ring and he mentioned that his street wheels had carbon fiber barels and he speculated that if he had run those instead he could have had a failure but again he did not use them and he never experienced a failure. Now most importantly I should add that he bought his car already built here in the US and it was not set up right and he was also having issues with the Pfadt shocks on his car too with the lengths being incorrect. So there was much more going on there than just one problem with drop spindles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Werks:
Bad_AX (04-09-2017), GSpeed (04-11-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 12:35 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Originally Posted by Werks
That's quite excessive and I would almost say fear mongering. I've been running LG drop spindles on my car since 2011 with zero issues running 18x13 rear wheels. Why? Because Anthony clearly explained to me what needed to be done when I ordered them lol! He was actually nice enough to machine my lower controll arms to clearance them.
Since there appear to be two completely conflicting viewpoints on this, I've edited the above posts & removed references to any video.

Regarding the LCA, I'm a bit confused by what you've said above as it seems to be contradictory; so you *did* need your LCA to be modified to clear an 18x13 rim?

FWIW, when I ordered mine there was no mention of the LCA, and LG did not respond to my email asking for clarification, so I am left with forums like this to determine the facts of the matter. Since information here itself seems to be in conflict, I suppose the only thing left to do is once they arrive, run the rear wheels up to bump stop and inspect. I'll post what that looks like when done (2-3 weeks from now I'd guess.)
Old 04-09-2017, 06:30 PM
Werks
Drifting

Since there appear to be two completely conflicting viewpoints on this, I've edited the above posts & removed references to any video.
What I'm stating is not oppinion it's first hand knowledge. The car in question owned by the guy in Norway was a yellow Z06 w/ half cage, Kerry Hitt (ACP) nose piece/front splitter, skirts and World Challenge wing. It was bought from a Dr on this forum and shipped to FL where it was then transported to and stored I belive it was in Germany for the guy from Norway. I later bough a Ti Akropovic exhaust system from the same Dr that sold the car in question to Norway guy (and afterwards bought a 427 convertible).

Regarding the LCA, I'm a bit confused by what you've said above as it seems to be contradictory; so you *did* need your LCA to be modified to clear an 18x13 rim?
No problem, please allow me to clarify. I said that there was no problem because when ordering I spoke to the people at LG to discuss my specific application and at that time they made me aware of the fact that I would have to clearance my lower control arms just like in C6RAPTOR's pictures. You can run up to an 18x12 without doing this, it's only when you run 18's and a 13" wide rear wheel that you need to do this.

FWIW, when I ordered mine there was no mention of the LCA, and LG did not respond to my email asking for clarification, so I am left with forums like this to determine the facts of the matter.
That's unfortuant that you were not informed about this at the time of ordering. Give Anthony a call there and talk to him, he will bring you up to speed on nay technical related questions on any of their products that you may have. When in doubt you can also use the forum, there are a lot of people on here that are very knowledgeable about these cars and if you have a specific qustion I'm sure someone will step up and answer it promptly.

Since information here itself seems to be in conflict, I suppose the only thing left to do is once they arrive, run the rear wheels up to bump stop and inspect. I'll post what that looks like when done (2-3 weeks from now I'd guess.)
The only information that to me is in conflict is the spectacular video of a car's wheel flying off at the Ring which is being wrongly being claimed to depict the guy from Norway's car and the failure depicted in that video where the rear wheel comes flying off is again wrongly being claimed as being the result of using LG drop splindles, which again is not accurate. You may have gotten this information from someone else before but in this case it is information that you posted, not someone else which is why I called you on it. The bottom line is that the info was not correct and claiming that a vendors product caused some crash in a video when it's not even the right car is not cool. Either way though parts like this ARE racing parts and when installing them you should be taking the time to inspect things/cylce the suspension etc to make sure that there is no issues. It's the safe thing to do and as in the cae with the guy in Norway if his shop would have takent eh extra few minutes needed to do so, they would have caught the issue before the wheel had rubbed on the LCA.

Last edited by Werks; 04-09-2017 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
carefulnow (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 06:43 PM
carefulnow
Racer

No problem, please allow me to clarify. I said that there was no problem because when ordering I spoke to the people at LG to discuss my specific application and at that time they made me aware of the fact that I would have to clearance my lower control arms just like in C6RAPTOR's pictures. You can run up to an 18x12 without doing this, it's only when you run 18's and a 13" wide rear wheel that you need to do this.
Thanks, this clears things up.

The only information that to me is in conflict is the spectacular video of a car's wheel flying off at the Ring which is being wrongly being claimed to depict the guy from Norway's car and the failure depicted in that video where the rear wheel comes flying off is again wrongly being claimed as being the result of using LG drop splindles, which again is not accurate. You may have gotten this information from someone else before but in this case it is information that you posted, not someone else which is why I called you on it. The bottom line is that the info was not correct and claiming that a vendors product caused some crash in a video when it's not even the right car is not cool.
Understood, I'll take the blame for posting that particular video as you've clarified that it was an unrelated incident. I've edited the above posts.

I will however note that nowhere did I claim or allude to the idea that LG's product, per se, is in any way a root cause; rather I was simply trying to make others aware of the need to modify the LCA, information that was not made clear to me by anyone other than you and C6RAPTOR.. so I hope you can understand why I had considered this as obscure information and posted a caveat.

Sorry if that lead to any confusion.

Either way though parts like this ARE racing parts and when installing them you should be taking the time to inspect things/cylce the suspension etc to make sure that there is no issues. It's the safe thing to do and as in the cae with the guy in Norway if his shop would have takent eh extra few minutes needed to do so, they would have caught the issue before the wheel had rubbed on the LCA.
, and I do appreciate your input.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

That's unfortuant that you were not informed about this at the time of ordering. Give Anthony a call there and talk to him, he will bring you up to speed on nay technical related questions on any of their products that you may have. When in doubt you can also use the forum, there are a lot of people on here that are very knowledgeable about these cars and if you have a specific qustion I'm sure someone will step up and answer it promptly.
Last I knew Anthony was no longer employed with LG. Is he back?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Werks
Drifting

Thanks, this clears things up.

Sorry if that lead to any confusion.
No worries I just wanted to clear things up and unfortunately posts often come across wrong because of the difficulty relaying emotions so it's often difficult to guage a persons tone or intent when they write something. In reading my posts again they came off as a little short and not that friendly, sorry about that it was not the intent. I just wanted to make sure that LG's drop spindles did not mistakenly get the blame for the issue in the video etc. which has now been cleared up (thank you).

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Last I knew Anthony was no longer employed with LG. Is he back?
You know I have not called over there to talk to him in about 6 months or so. If he's gone though that's a real shame as he was a wealth of knowledge and bent over to take care of his customers! If he's not longer with LG does anyone know where he ended up?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

You know I have not called over there to talk to him in about 6 months or so. If he's gone though that's a real shame as he was a wealth of knowledge and bent over to take care of his customers! If he's not longer with LG does anyone know where he ended up?

Not sure. Lou made a post a few weeks ago in another thread and said something to the effect of "Anthony is no longer with LG. He has personal problems that no job can solve."

Really a shame as I liked him too. He helped me with my build. Hope he goes back. Not even sure where he is now, if anywhere, as it sounded like he had some personal issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Finspeed VS CCW

Old 04-11-2017, 03:56 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

That's very unfortunate! Now I know why he never replied to my email : (
Old 04-11-2017, 04:00 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Is Finspeed still in business? I've heard of a few people trying to contact them with no luck.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:40 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Finspeed is not taking new orders at the moment. I would suggest Forgeline or CCWs, the latter was recently bought out by Weld wheels.

Quick Reply: Finspeed VS CCW