Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my homemade rear diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by db2xpert
Really nice !!
What thickness aluminum did you use?

My exhaust dumps out under the passenger side door, so I don't have to contend with any exhaust system.

If I raised the back up to the bottom of the bumper, wouldn't this increase the angle too much?

What is the starting height and ending height of the strakes?

My car is lowered more than an inch (drop spindles) so the strakes would have to be removable to get in/out of the trailer.

Thanks for great information !!
Not sure what kind of trailer you have but I'm running dropped spindles with a similar diffuser and don't have trouble getting on and off the trailer. You just need to have a gentle ramp angle and use race ramps and some 2 x 10's leading off them.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:28 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
Not sure what kind of trailer you have but I'm running dropped spindles with a similar diffuser and don't have trouble getting on and off the trailer. You just need to have a gentle ramp angle and use race ramps and some 2 x 10's leading off them.
Right now I have 5' ramps that fold down off the trailer door, and use 8' 2x10's with 1" riser at front from those to clear the front splitter - only 2'5" there.
So I don't know if I'll have a problem in the rear or not, I always assume worst case until I find otherwise.
About 1/2" tire clearance at top of front wheel well, and 1" at rear.

Thanks...
Old 12-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Right now I have 5' ramps that fold down off the trailer door, and use 8' 2x10's with 1" riser at front from those to clear the front splitter - only 2'5" there.
So I don't know if I'll have a problem in the rear or not, I always assume worst case until I find otherwise.
About 1/2" tire clearance at top of front wheel well, and 1" at rear.

Thanks...
I think you will be OK. The only time I ever had a problem was when I forgot to crank the jack down on the trailer and the trailer bounced on weight transfer. The bottom of my strakes are at the height as the floor of the car. My splitter is about the same height as yours if not lower.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:29 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I think you will be OK. The only time I ever had a problem was when I forgot to crank the jack down on the trailer and the trailer bounced on weight transfer. The bottom of my strakes are at the height as the floor of the car. My splitter is about the same height as yours if not lower.
Sounds good -- can easily measure and plan for clearance.

What thickness aluminum did you use

Strake height at front of the diffuser, and at the end?

Thanks !!!
The following users liked this post:
c5golfguy (12-10-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:02 AM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really nice !!
What thickness aluminum did you use?

My exhaust dumps out under the passenger side door, so I don't have to contend with any exhaust system.

If I raised the back up to the bottom of the bumper, wouldn't this increase the angle too much?

What is the starting height and ending height of the strakes?

My car is lowered more than an inch (drop spindles) so the strakes would have to be removable to get in/out of the trailer.

Thanks for great information !!

Sorry for the late reply...

For your car it may need a different height... You need to figure out how much spring and wing you have and how much the extra downforce from the diffuser you are going to get... I'm guessing my diffuser is worth anything from 200-400lbs Iooking at the CF data for similar designs and size.

My stakes are parallel to the road with around 3.5in clearance... yes they do scrape above 250kmh (or 155 for you guys south of the pond) and down Mosport T4 when the car bottoms out with anything over 0 AOA on the wing

I should probably look into a stiffer spring setup to take full advantage of the wing and diffuser... And more front aero with a proper front undertray.

Material thicknesses is 2mm or 5/64. Make sure the aluminum sheet is of good quality to handle the bends. Talk to your supplier about that😀

edit: AOA is 0 not 10

Thanks! Riaan

Last edited by Z06VENOM; 12-16-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:24 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very informative thread. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Holy crap.....10 degrees AOA? What the hell splitter setup do you have to balance that out? I had a 3" splitter and full extractor chimney and still had aero push at ZERO degrees AOA. Of course that could just be a testament to my AJ Hartman wing and the efficiency of my diffuser.....

Originally Posted by Z06VENOM
Sorry for the late reply...

For your car it may need a different height... You need to figure out how much spring and wing you have and how much the extra downforce from the diffuser you are going to get... I'm guessing my diffuser is worth anything from 200-400lbs Iooking at the CF data for similar designs and size.

My stakes are parallel to the road with around 3.5in clearance... yes they do scrape above 250kmh (or 155 for you guys south of the pond) and down Mosport T4 when the car bottoms out with anything over 10 AOA on the wing

I should probably look into a stiffer spring setup to take full advantage of the wing and diffuser... And more front aero with a proper front undertray.

Material thicknesses is 2mm or 5/64. Make sure the aluminum sheet is of good quality to handle the bends. Talk to your supplier about that😀

Thanks! Riaan
Old 12-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap.....10 degrees AOA? What the hell splitter setup do you have to balance that out? I had a 3" splitter and full extractor chimney and still had aero push at ZERO degrees AOA. Of course that could just be a testament to my AJ Hartman wing and the efficiency of my diffuser.....

LoL good catch!
Yeah that's was a typo... Damn phones 🤗
I meant 0 AOA sorry for the confusion.

The wing is a COT widened to 66in. Adjustable from 0 - 10 degrees AOA. Its definitely no AJ Hartman design, but it's pretty efficient for what it is.

I have a home made splitter 3in forward and with the under tray bent up, mounted to the lower rad support... The plan is to cut and channel it properly, and possibly tilt the rad forward with a hood extractor...
Old 12-16-2017, 11:10 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Ah....OK. That makes more sense. I recently went to an ACP World Challenge front fascia with a tunneled undertray and my aero push is gone but still only running zero degrees AOA.

Originally Posted by Z06VENOM
LoL good catch!
Yeah that's was a typo... Damn phones 🤗
I meant 0 AOA sorry for the confusion.

The wing is a COT widened to 66in. Adjustable from 0 - 10 degrees AOA. Its definitely no AJ Hartman design, but it's pretty efficient for what it is.

I have a home made splitter 3in forward and with the under tray bent up, mounted to the lower rad support... The plan is to cut and channel it properly, and possibly tilt the rad forward with a hood extractor...

Quick Reply: my homemade rear diffuser