Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pads z07 Grand sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 10:48 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts
Default pads z07 Grand sport

So with the pads that came with the grand sports w/)7 package (CCB)... how many track days should I get out of them?

After 2 trackdays it seems like I went through a decent bit (will take pics) but they did great...in the past Ive used carbotechs, pagids, hawks and others..

Best option for pads on the CCB's?

I see the rotors hold up real well...so IM glad there ..they were beastly on track using RBF660 motul fluid... need to replace after how many track sessions? I say 2 track days, but really about 5 on track 20 minute sessions
Old 07-03-2017, 10:58 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahulX
So with the pads that came with the grand sports w/)7 package (CCB)... how many track days should I get out of them?

After 2 trackdays it seems like I went through a decent bit (will take pics) but they did great...in the past Ive used carbotechs, pagids, hawks and others..

Best option for pads on the CCB's?

I see the rotors hold up real well...so IM glad there ..they were beastly on track using RBF660 motul fluid... need to replace after how many track sessions? I say 2 track days, but really about 5 on track 20 minute sessions
I see comments all over the board on how long the CCB pads/rotors last. I'm on my third car running them and I personally prefer a good set of steel over the CCB not due to price(although that is a worthy consideration) but rather the pedal feel is preferable to me with the steel. That said right now I'm trying to keep my car's close to stock. However specific to your question, I could only make about 5 hard sessions on the front pads with either of my ZR1's. On the rears I can/could run about 2.5 days(12 sessions +or-). I only have 2 full days with my new Grand Sport and while I changed the fronts after 6 sessions I believe I could have definitely made 8 sessions with them. The GS is a good bit slower on the straights, and while it weighs a bit more, so far it seems to be much better on the front pads(this could be because the rotors are still new and smooth..........once the rotors get rough which for me is within 2-3 days.........they seem to be harder on the pads). The GS has a lot more pad surface in the rear and while they're considerably more expensive, after 2 days my rears are hardly worn.

As I said many people get way more out of the CCB pads but this is my experience. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
ShahulX (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 12:27 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

like 8 sessions, meaning changing pads after 2 track days (4 sessions each)? granted I only do 3 sessions each track day
Old 07-03-2017, 12:55 PM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

like 8 sessions, meaning changing pads after 2 track days (4 sessions each)? granted I only do 3 sessions each track day
While everyone has a different definition of a session I normally consider a standard HPDE session to be 20 min. with 4 or 5 per day. Others consider them different. Frankly I log minutes.
ShahulX (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 01:40 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Yea true.. yesterday I did 3 sessions, but my 1st session was cup short after 10 minutes (lost the 1st 15 actually while a VW flipped over on the opening lap)

Second session I did 25 minutes

3rd session I did around 15 minutes...about 10 laps and then I left home

What better track pads are available that people are using on the CCB's? I saw another thread they made CCB specif pads but tough to get and regular pads work? like the OEM pad, works well on track and doesnt squeal like my carbotechs etc...

Last edited by ShahulX; 07-03-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:24 PM
C6WNC
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Yea true.. yesterday I did 3 sessions, but my 1st session was cup short after 10 minutes (lost the 1st 15 actually while a VW flipped over on the opening lap)

Second session I did 25 minutes

3rd session I did around 15 minutes...about 10 laps and then I left home

What better track pads are available that people are using on the CCB's? I saw another thread they made CCB specif pads but tough to get and regular pads work? like the OEM pad, works well on track and doesnt squeal like my carbotechs etc...
First question...Do you street burnish and track burnish your pads? It makes a big difference in performance and wear rate. Also, are you pushing any extra air to the Rotors? Cooling helps.

I have a C6Z/Z07 and track frequently at VIR and Road Atlanta with Chin. I am a late brake and trail brake kinda guy turning 2:05's at VIR and 1:34's RA. With Chin you run four 30 minute session and a Happy Hour lasting 1.5 hours. I typically run 3 hours per track day. With that said I get 6 to 8 track days on the front stock pads, plus street miles. The rears last longer.

So it's OEM for me. Watch Amazon for deals on OEM pads. The dealers and some parts houses want $800+ for fronts. I have not paid over $525 and in many cases paid closer to $425.

Pagid makes a pad but they are pricey. They are RSC1, RSC2, RSC3.

Hope that helps.
ShahulX (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 01:51 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6WNC
First question...Do you street burnish and track burnish your pads? It makes a big difference in performance and wear rate. Also, are you pushing any extra air to the Rotors? Cooling helps.

I have a C6Z/Z07 and track frequently at VIR and Road Atlanta with Chin. I am a late brake and trail brake kinda guy turning 2:05's at VIR and 1:34's RA. With Chin you run four 30 minute session and a Happy Hour lasting 1.5 hours. I typically run 3 hours per track day. With that said I get 6 to 8 track days on the front stock pads, plus street miles. The rears last longer.

So it's OEM for me. Watch Amazon for deals on OEM pads. The dealers and some parts houses want $800+ for fronts. I have not paid over $525 and in many cases paid closer to $425.

Hope that helps.
that does help, thank you... i should be fine I guess then and will stick with oem. I did street and track burnish procedures
Old 07-04-2017, 03:35 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

You won't get as long of a pad life with the C7 compared to the C6. The car is heavier and there are no real cooling solutions out there that work (without sacrificing rotors.) It is difficult to ask a question like, how long will my pads last, because everyone's driving style is so different. When I first got my car I talked to some guys who said they were running on the same pads and were on their 5th track day. Well, I guarantee those guys are not braking the same as me because I could get 2, maybe 2.5 full weekends out of a set of front pads with the stock CCBs. The burnishing should help as mentioned above. It has also been mentioned to not let the pads go much below 1/3 in life as the rotors can begin to wear much faster, although I have no personal experience with this.

Regarding upgraded pads. There really are very few options. RSC1 is supposedly a similar compound to the OEM and not really much of an upgrade. The 2 and 3 are more aggressive but I've yet to talk to someone who has tried them. I actually had a set of -2s ordered when I cancelled them and instead upgraded to AP racing front & rear. The only pads I would recommend are OEM, Pagid RSC, and Endless.

If you like the feel of the factory brakes, they will be your best and cheapest option.
ShahulX (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 07:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I tried using Carbotech XP10s on the front after my first three day event which gave me about 12 20 minute sessions. I ran the Carbotech's for 6 track days and then went back to the stock pads for 3 more days. The problem with the Carbotech's is I think they increased my rotor wear. I wouldn't go with any aftermarket pad unless it is specifically designed to work with ceramic rotors. That pretty much leaves you with the Pagid RSC1, 2 or 3 pads. I got 13 track days out of the front ceramic rotors and 20 days out of the rear ceramic rotors.

As it is you are on the cusp of a decision. If I were you I would save the ceramic rotors and pads for when you sell the car and go with a set of Girodisc rotors or invest in the Essex AP Racing kit. The Essex front kit will run you about $2K more than the replacement pads and rotors while the Essex rear kit will be about the same cost as the stock rear replacement pads and rotors. There are pluses and minuses to each solution. I know the Essex kits work. People that ride with me can't get over how well they bring the car down from 150 to 50 to enter a turn.

Bill
ShahulX (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 09:17 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

^ i paid for the z07 pkg...which is just the cup2 tires and the CCBs.. for me 13 track days is 3 years.. i will look up both options, thank you Bill and Fleming for the insight
Old 07-23-2017, 06:11 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6WNC

Hope that helps.
part number to check amazon/ebay?
Old 07-24-2017, 12:29 AM
C6WNC
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

part number to check amazon/ebay?
Front pads 171-1186
Rear pads 171-1143

Amazon is cheaper than Ebay
ShahulX (07-24-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 09:43 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

anyone know of a deal on the pads? I missed the Amazon deal...

Get notified of new replies

To pads z07 Grand sport

Quick Reply: pads z07 Grand sport