Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:22 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,276 Likes on 794 Posts

Just boring...

Strategy

Old 09-16-2018, 02:23 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Another xample how F1 sucks at the moment and how Ferrari are simply throwing their chancs away.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:34 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Another fantastic race by LH who recently is showing his true form.

Perez: what a complete idiot. Takes out his teammate on lap one, who he knows is a better driver, and then ***** his own race by slamming his car into Sirotkin when Perez didn’t have the skills to pace. (Sirotkin was also driving like a d-ck btw). Perez needs to move to NASCAR if he wants to continue driving like this.

Bish
Old 09-16-2018, 06:58 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
Another xample how F1 sucks at the moment and how Ferrari are simply throwing their chancs away.
Yup Ferrari could fluck up a one car parade.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 07:22 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
I think Ferrari, and SV particularly, have forgotten what they need to do when they have the fastest car on track.
It's kinda sad IMO.
They need new management...management the drivers can believe in.
They spend too much time on the radio 2nd-guessing the calls from the pits.
Originally Posted by thebishman
Another fantastic race by LH who recently is showing his true form.
I think it's safe to say he is on his own planet right now.
I would love to see what Alonso and Max could do in a MB.
Perez: what a complete idiot. Takes out his teammate on lap one, who he knows is a better driver, and then ***** his own race by slamming his car into Sirotkin when Perez didn’t have the skills to pace. (Sirotkin was also driving like a d-ck btw). Perez needs to move to NASCAR if he wants to continue driving like this.
In spite of not helping, the Ocon thing wasn't Perez's fault IMO.
The Sirotkin crash can VERY definitely be pinned on Checo's temper.
I gotta wonder if FI now regrets signing (reportedly) him up for 2019.

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-17-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:14 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Thoughts on Singapore:

FIA Stupidity continues to be honed to a fine edge:

https://racer.com/2018/09/16/grosjea...ter-singapore/

I never heard any chatter from Hamilton complaining about the fight in front of him, just a comment afterwards kinda like "that was crazy for a moment" or similar.

Hey, FIA, THEY WERE RACING!!!!

On the subject of blue flags: Hey Bottas, they're for drivers in front of you that you're NOT racing!

To Ferrari's complaint that the race was boring. Well, yes, up front it was. BTW, IIRC Vettel passed Verstappen, who then got back by your guy during YOUR pit stop cycle.

Hamilton's win is a good example of the rewards that qualifying up front should be able to bring at times. Once they got past the pit stop cycles it became pretty much a parade.

I think both championships are now Mercedes to lose: Ferrari, in spite of a faster car, just can't seem to execute. Almost a carbon copy of last year.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-17-2018, 11:24 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Sad, in a lot of aspects.
Hats off to Hamilton, if he continues driving to this level he certainly deserves the championship.
Nice work from Vettel and the Ferrari management this season, supporting Hamilton in his quest. Jolly sporting of them! Always help a fellow competitor, I say...
I gotta disagree about the Ocon/Perez melee. Ocon was clearly alongside him, and thus deserving of 'racing room'. Although it was a bit over optimistic of him.
Great driving by Perez throughout. He better bring enough cash next year to cover his crash damage, or RPFI might regret keeping him. They should keep Ocon and kick Perez to the curb. Williams might welcome his cash.
Hats off also to Crashthappen. EXCELLENT drive. He would have slipped past Hamilton in that traffic, if LH hadn't swerved to block him.
And Bottas whining about Hulk ahead of him. Whaaaaaaaa!
BKorsaire (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:41 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Great driving by Perez throughout. He better bring enough cash next year to cover his crash damage, or RPFI might regret keeping him. They should keep Ocon and kick Perez to the curb. Williams might welcome his cash.
We need that [sarcasm] font installed immediately!

Hats off also to Crashthappen. EXCELLENT drive. He would have slipped past Hamilton in that traffic, if LH hadn't swerved to block him.
By far the most entertaining part of the race was watching the top 2-3 drivers swimming their way through traffic. I thought everyone drove excellently, both those going a lap down and racing at the same time, and the leaders picking their way through. I also thought Hamilton's swerve was in the spirit of the regs (allowed to make one move), and Verstappen seemed fine with it.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-17-2018, 01:22 PM
D K
Pro

Everybody keeps callng the Ferrari the fastest car, but Im not so sure....

Ferrari CAN BE fast, but its not always the case. I think the Ferrari is very fragile in terms of the setup and has a very narrow operating window.

Mercdes, on the other hand, may not be the fastest on paper, but is much more forgiving and has a way wider operating window.
PLUS their team is much more organized in terms of strategy. They always make the better calls (Q2 on supers, do what Kimi doesnt do, etc.).
PLUS they still have a much better ‘secret’ mode that they can use for a very short amount of time (lean burn, oil burn, etc.).

Hamiltons pole lap was not a ‘magic’ lap. It was a great lap with the help of a huge engine mode.

Did you see Bottas’ reaction? He knew!
They gave Lewis something they didnt give him and he was super bummed. Most likely affected his race outcome.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines and you get a tiny clue - eventually you can pick out whats really going on (to a tiny degree).

All this talk from Lewis about Ferrari blowing past like he was standing still, is just rhetoric

Mercdes is still the car to beat, and have been for a long time - while Ferrari made a big step and surprised Mercedes.

Order is now restored and Lewis will walk to his 5th wdc.

My only hope is that Ferrari will use the gains theyve made this year and build a car nxt year that is actually faster nxt year and get their wdc that Vettel (almost) deserves.

Last edited by D K; 09-17-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:54 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

Nowanker, I think I'm the only one who thinks that with you about Perez. RoGro made mistakes but never intentional : when you're vilain (in French) you're necessarily stupid ! that's the difference and if it had been RoGro, there would have been a worldwide bashing and yet, I'm not a fan of the whining Romain ! Even this hyper senile old man and accomplice of Bernie who put him in this place in FIA, he was already there at the time of Prost-Senna, finds nothing to criticize about the manoeuvre on Sirotkin: "it would be hard to believe that he (Perez) gave an intentional flying shot", poor Whiting, go to the asylum, my old man ! and above all, this bad boy Perez, it is not his first ***** "coup" as we say here ! He's even an artist in the genre... I hope he'll do the same against Stroll next year and Lawrence will tell him who's the boss !

TV UK has analyzed the "Babyrez" manoeuvre on Ocon and the summary is that there is indeed a manoeuvre that does not go in the direction of the normal trajectory and the RPFI manager says that there was enough space on the left for Perez to go: back the 2017 instructions to RPFI from Sochi!

After Spa, I thought Vettel was on his way to the 5th crown. Since yesterday, I've been thinking that it will be impossible to beat Hamilton except for a withdrawal or a crash: the best Hamilton engine in stock has 2 GP less than the best Vettel engine in stock!

Even when Crashtappen caught up with him, Hamilton went around when the track was clear: he had everything under control and I really think Merco put his finger on the problem they had on this type of circuit. I notice like Hamilton, the big power Ferrari had at Spa has flown away, as if they had run in qualifying mode a long time during the GP, which would mean driving to the economy now for reliability and that the capital power reliability is reached, that's a pure assumption on my part...

The hamilton Q3 wasn't very spectacular to see but its trajectories were perfect and above all, it never brutalized the car with sudden changes of direction as it usually does: it was far from the walls and the car no longer bounced like in Q1 and Q2, probably an adjustment of the suspension for more softness

I did the calculations of the different cases last night, I just have to find this damn sheet where we see that V4 is condemned to win and therefore to take risks at each GP

The Italian press is in the process of lynching Vettel and Ferrari and his strategists and something contrary to what happened in Monza, we braid laurel wreaths in Hamilton saying that he is the strongest, go read the Italian press, it is quite unusual, we demand the departure of Arrivabene (go smoke at your house, because he was at Philipp Morris before...)

Sotchi is a track for Féfé but who says the future...Merco is very rigorous and Hamilton is having fun in fashion and the world and he sees F1 as a fetish fun, a state of consciousness different from other drivers that undoubtedly conditions his results

Theyn announce Kvyatt and Wehrlein at STR : I don't know for Wehrlein but Kvyatt has a lot chance to go to STR, according to fear at Ferrari by losing 2 simulator pilots...

Last edited by BKorsaire; 09-17-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:14 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

I would add, "babyrez" reminds me of this mentally ill personn , in Moto GP, the rider Fenati, excluded from competitions.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:38 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by D K
PLUS they still have a much better ‘secret’ mode that they can use for a very short amount of time (lean burn, oil burn, etc.).

Sure they have a qualifying mode; I expect all the manufacturers do.

Hamiltons pole lap was not a ‘magic’ lap. It was a great lap with the help of a huge engine mode.
I think I'm going to disagree with this. The video that Sunsalem posted, IMO, one of those perfect laps. Every apex was hit perfectly, he almost never had to correct for oversteer; didn't see any large inputs like he had understeer. Didn't get close to the walls, etc.

They gave Lewis something they didnt give him and he was super bummed. Most likely affected his race outcome.
I did see that; but my opinion was that he just saw how good LH can be. I do my best to not be a Hamilton acolyte, but he's just at the top of his game, and that top is WAY up there!

Have a good one,
Mike
thebishman (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 02:59 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

as I said above, its turn finally does not appear so spectacular but when you look at it with aerial view and pallet analysis (I don't really know the word in English, I don't know if it's the right word, analysis with slow motion and specs at the wheel), we realize that Hamilton was in perfect control, totally, there was no skating, no skidding or counter-steering, on such a circuit, it's just phenomenal but there was no brutality in the driving so it's not spectacular but with scalpel trajectories, the difference is there : 0.3 sec and 0.6 sec on Crashta and V4. I have to admit, this guy is a phenomenon. The only person I've seen do anything like that is Senna in Monaco.

The intrinsic motor power is not the most important here: Crashtappen had engine interruptions during Q3 and yet it was P2 in Q3 : we could hear thanks to J. Villeneuve these engine cuts, moreover in Sochi, Crashtappen will take a penalty for a new ICE...

Moreover, I think that the sudden death of big boss Marchionne followed by Ferrari's own psychodrama concerning the replacement or not of Kimi, with the war of the internal clans, this did not make it possible to concentrate energies on the race and the championship: everyone dispersed themselves.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 09-17-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:03 PM
D K
Pro

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Sure they have a qualifying mode; I expect all the manufacturers do.

I think I'm going to disagree with this. The video that Sunsalem posted, IMO, one of those perfect laps. Every apex was hit perfectly, he almost never had to correct for oversteer; didn't see any large inputs like he had understeer. Didn't get close to the walls, etc.

I did see that; but my opinion was that he just saw how good LH can be. I do my best to not be a Hamilton acolyte, but he's just at the top of his game, and that top is WAY up there!

Have a good one,
Mike
No doubt it was a great lap!
absolutely.

But, as you can see, and said it yourself - it was effortless.
A little too clinical for me.
He had a lot more available to him.

That was exactly why I said what I did.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:26 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=BKorsaire;159799966
Moreover, I think that the sudden death of big boss Marchionne followed by Ferrari's own psychodrama concerning the replacement or not of Kimi, with the war of the internal clans, this did not make it possible to concentrate energies on the race and the championship: everyone dispersed themselves.[/QUOTE]
I believe they have lost their focus. If they were going to beat Mercedes this year they needed to have an error free season. Vettle has made too many mistakes, some resulting from his seeming inability to handle pressure and others that are just inexplainable. The team have made some strategic errors and the chassis is harder on the tires than is the Mercedes. The tires don't heat up as quickly and they degrade quicker. If you recall Vettle dominated when he was with Red Bull, but when faced with real competition from non other than his teammate he started to unravel. I think we're seeing this again this year. This is not to say that Vettle is not a deserving champion, but the mistakes he makes when under pressure makes me wonder if he is not more Italian than German.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:45 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Bobby, that's exactly what I read here on the forums, he's a very Italian pilot. I was amazed to see V4 in anger in his box just before the 2nd run of Q3. I don't understand what his physio is doing. Hamilton's physio, everyone knows that it's a little blonde who follows him like a mother but no one knows the V4 physio, at least I've never seen him or her, and he's or she's also an essential person in setting up the pilot's conditioning process.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 09-17-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:01 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

He needs therapy.

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 07:57 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

FIA Stupidity continues to be honed to a fine edge:

https://racer.com/2018/09/16/grosjea...ter-singapore/

I never heard any chatter from Hamilton complaining about the fight in front of him, just a comment afterwards kinda like "that was crazy for a moment" or similar.

Hey, FIA, THEY WERE RACING!!!!

On the subject of blue flags: Hey Bottas, they're for drivers in front of you that you're NOT racing!
Geez, doesn't racing actually involve PASSING slower cars on-track????
To Ferrari's complaint that the race was boring. Well, yes, up front it was.
FWIW, the Top 6 finished in the order they qualified.
Alonso put in a mega-drive to finish 7th.
Hamilton's win is a good example of the rewards that qualifying up front should be able to bring at times. Once they got past the pit stop cycles it became pretty much a parade.
And I hate parades.
I think both championships are now Mercedes to lose
It would be a heckuva upset if they did.
It's not about luck (as you pointed out) either...it's about getting the job done.
Originally Posted by Nowanker
Sad, in a lot of aspects.
Hats off to Hamilton, if he continues driving to this level he certainly deserves the championship.
Nice work from Vettel and the Ferrari management this season, supporting Hamilton in his quest. Jolly sporting of them! Always help a fellow competitor, I say...
The Tifosi would agree.
I gotta disagree about the Ocon/Perez melee. Ocon was clearly alongside him, and thus deserving of 'racing room'. Although it was a bit over optimistic of him.
IIRC, Brundle said something to the effect Perez was on the Racing Line in that corner and Ocon wasn't.
Because of that, it was always going to end in tears.
If that was the sole result of the GP in Singapore, I would be ecstatic.
Williams is in desperate need of the $$$.
When I saw that happen I started to yell, but quickly shut up when realized LH wasn't going to do a double-move.
It figures...The Best knows how to do a proper block.

Originally Posted by D K
Everybody keeps callng the Ferrari the fastest car, but Im not so sure....

Ferrari CAN BE fast, but its not always the case. I think the Ferrari is very fragile in terms of the setup and has a very narrow operating window.

Mercdes, on the other hand, may not be the fastest on paper, but is much more forgiving and has a way wider operating window.
PLUS their team is much more organized in terms of strategy. They always make the better calls (Q2 on supers, do what Kimi doesnt do, etc.).

Sometimes you have to read between the lines and you get a tiny clue - eventually you can pick out whats really going on (to a tiny degree).

All this talk from Lewis about Ferrari blowing past like he was standing still, is just rhetoric

Mercdes is still the car to beat, and have been for a long time - while Ferrari made a big step and surprised Mercedes.

Order is now restored and Lewis will walk to his 5th wdc.

My only hope is that Ferrari will use the gains theyve made this year and build a car nxt year that is actually faster nxt year and get their wdc that Vettel (almost) deserves.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:05 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

I just stumbled across this video in the GTLM thread and think it is very apropos to what we are discussing.
Check it out...lots of lessons some F1 teams could learn here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597999402
Old 09-18-2018, 02:32 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE = sunsalem; 1598001585] Décidément, la course ne consiste-t-elle pas à faire passer des voitures plus lentes sur la piste? :

rolleyes : FWIW, le Top 6 a terminé dans l'ordre où il s'est qualifié.
Alonso a fait un méga-disque pour terminer 7ème.
Et je déteste les parades. : ack:**[/ QUOTE]

For the second time in the history of Formula 1, the top 6 at the finish is the same and in the same order as the top 6 on the starting grid. The first time was at.... Monaco in 2018, i. e. twice in the same year!
sunsalem (09-18-2018)