Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:18 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Formula E becoming more popular than F1?
Recognizing up front that this is a paid political advertisement from the head of FE, I can only laugh. There is ZERO chance of FE being anything more than a political animal that hipsters and eco-activists find more appealing than, dare I say it, ANY other form of motorsports.

Sure, if you want to say that you can run FE in areas that have too many noise issues, or pollution issues, then sure FE could make it there; but honestly, how many venues with those restrictions are looking for competitive auto racing?

IMO, the only reason FE is alive at all is serious infusion of money from FIA or someone else.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:06 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Formula E?!?!
Maybe I'll take up needlepoint.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:57 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Toro Rosso have figured out their 2019 line-up?
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...super_license/
This seems logical and more in line with what Marko will do.
This is kind of nuts. RB is going to pay for a kid to get a ride in a series he wasn't planning on racing in, in a car that is probably already full, and they're just going to throw money at some team for that...
Old 09-21-2018, 12:31 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Recognizing up front that this is a paid political advertisement from the head of FE,
Oops, I hadn't noticed that...my bad.

I can only laugh. There is ZERO chance of FE being anything more than a political animal that hipsters and eco-activists find more appealing than, dare I say it, ANY other form of motorsports.
In all the things I have seen and done in my 62 years of kicking *** and taking names, I will never say never.

OK, the 1st part of that sentence is something of a joke I couldn't resist (caffeine hasn't kicked in) but not the 2nd part

Sure, if you want to say that you can run FE in areas that have too many noise issues, or pollution issues, then sure FE could make it there; but honestly, how many venues with those restrictions are looking for competitive auto racing?
I do know more than a few.
The Green Economy is here or is coming.
Maybe not to a hometown near you, but it is coming.

IMO, the only reason FE is alive at all is serious infusion of money from FIA or someone else.
And the reason for that is a business opportunity was noticed.

Originally Posted by mattastick
This is kind of nuts. RB is going to pay for a kid to get a ride in a series he wasn't planning on racing in, in a car that is probably already full, and they're just going to throw money at some team for that...
RB has always believed in promoting from within.
It makes perfect they would try to do so again if possible.
However, we will see if it still holds true this time around.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:11 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

The Troll Awakens (part 382):
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._the_Italians/
I have to agree; Ferrari is not the team it once was.
If the new CEO is serious about his responsibilities, he needs to do some housecleaning during the off-season.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...between_teams/
Come on, Ross...if you want an omelet, you're gonna have to break a few eggs.
Ya can't pussyfoot around it...SHEESH!

Wehrlein officially cut loose:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ein_departure/
Toro Rosso bound?

Good News everyone, IT'S FRIDAY!

Old 09-21-2018, 01:51 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,276 Likes on 794 Posts

I saw the selection set tyres by team for "Putinring" : amazing ! Féfé did the same mistake ! no flexibility with the S, as in Singapore, an ultra-aggressive strategy that is on the off. That said, tyres for circuits outside Europe are chosen 14 weeks before but Merco adopts a more balanced choice.

Vettel: 9H, 3U, 1S
Hamilton: 7H, 4U, 2S
De facto, Ferrari forbids itself to test the S during FP...

Hamilton according to, Uncle Bernie, already has the 5th crown, it remains to be seen when. It is true that Hamilton can be satisfied with a win, three 2nd places, one 3rd place and a 4th place when Vettel will have to be satisfied with a single second place and the rest in victory. I didn't consider a DNF, a worst-case scenario.

Kvyatt will be announced at Sotchi for 2019 but the soda maker wishes Ticktum...his national Fed could help for some point on the licence I read.

Ocon : Williams needs 20 M$, Merco says we can do a discount of 3 M$ about the PU. we can see the difference in long-term strategy at Sauber who hires an experienced pilot and sponsors flock according to Fred Vasseur without even being solicited and Williams who hires suitcases, a short-term strategy : no result, the head sponsor Martini goes away ! Williams is in danger of being bought by the Russians. Franck Williams will have to endure this before he dies !

Gambling : I fear the abuses and tricks.
The following users liked this post:
bcmarly (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:55 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

I do know more than a few.
The Green Economy is here or is coming.
Maybe not to a hometown near you, but it is coming.
Agreed. But I don't know of any that have a desire for auto racing. Maybe non-GMO, lactose-free latte pouring competitions. But no winner's trophy, for sure!

And the reason for that is a business opportunity was noticed.
I dunno. Look at the crowds at an FE race; it's like they don't even know it's going on. But you could be right; I just don't see it.

Have a good one,
Mike
bcmarly (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:59 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

One of Merco's secrets to controlling tyre heat: new rear rim but new brake drum seen in Singapore

bcmarly (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:29 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Maybe non-GMO, lactose-free latte pouring competitions. But no winner's trophy, for sure!
Huh?
Now I know you have been outside of the South so stop kidding us.
I don't know of any that have a desire for auto racing.
FWIW, I see a lot of folks (kids and older) racing around town, and even on the freeways in their little hybrids.
Very shortly the only thing F1, NASCAR, etc. will have on EVs is sound and smell.
Look at the crowds at an FE race; it's like they don't even know it's going on.
I see the same thing at some F1 races.

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
One of Merco's secrets to controlling tyre heat: new rear rim but new brake drum seen in Singapore

That is very clever by MB.

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-21-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:42 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Budget cap is the way to even the playing field, according to Steiner:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._rule_changes/
Hard to argue that one.
When talented personal is evenly split between the teams, it seems parity will be inevitable.

Mick Schumacher --- a chip off the old block?
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ard_to_ignore/
Someone will make him a big offer soon IMO.

3 cars or more teams?
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...two_teams8217/
Me thinks the kid might have something here...
Recruiting more teams or increased costs?
I don't know which would ultimately be the best way to go.
What do ya think?

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-23-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:38 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Budget cap is the way to even the playing field, according to Steiner:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._rule_changes/
Hard to argue that one.
When talented personal is evenly split between the teams, it seems parity will be inevitable.
Budget caps have been proposed for decades: if no one else Ferrari have always shot it down.

3 cars or more teams?
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...two_teams8217/
Me thinks the kid might have something here...
Recruiting more teams or increased costs?
I don't know which would ultimately be the best way to go.
What do ya think?
I want 3 cars per manufacturer. The idea of more new manufacturers running for the championship is darn close to a pipe dream; at best you need more teams like Haas or FI, and those are going to be mid-pack teams at best. More car count gives more drivers a chance, more traffic for the leaders to deal with, etc.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-24-2018, 12:12 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Budget caps have been proposed for decades: if no one else Ferrari have always shot it down.
EXACTLY why Liberty wants to take away Ferrari's Most Favored Nation status...the inmates can't be allowed to run the asylum anymore (Bernie's biggest failure).
If other sports can handle caps, so can F1.

I want 3 cars per manufacturer.
It would change the dynamic of wins being the purview of only 3 teams.

The idea of more new manufacturers running for the championship is darn close to a pipe dream; at best you need more teams like Haas or FI, and those are going to be mid-pack teams at best.
Take a look at the nonsense of the recent history of F1 Constructors:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions#By_season

More car count gives more drivers a chance
I was thinking about it more from a TEAM POV than a driver's.

more traffic for the leaders to deal with, etc.
More Blue Flags possibly?
Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

EXACTLY why Liberty wants to take away Ferrari's Most Favored Nation status...the inmates can't be allowed to run the asylum anymore (Bernie's biggest failure).
If other sports can handle caps, so can F1.
I'm all for Liberty getting rid of Ferrari's MFN status. But even with spending caps in place, professional teams still dominate for decades. The Patriots in the NFL and the Yankees in the NBA come to mind.

It would change the dynamic of wins being the purview of only 3 teams.
Which is no worse than it is now.

I was thinking about it more from a TEAM POV than a driver's.
I guess I enjoy the team aspect of a race, but I watch the race from an individual POV (e.g. watching Raikonnen/Bottas/Verstappen duking it out).

More Blue Flags possibly?
I wish FIA would use blue flags like other racing series; it's an advisory flag letting the slow car know that lapping cars are coming through. That would get rid of the stupidity the FIA enforced at the last race. It's up to the leaders to work their way through, and sometimes it doesn't go well. But most times the lap-down cars do their best to not get in the way.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-24-2018, 12:18 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

I'm all for Liberty getting rid of Ferrari's MFN status. But even with spending caps in place, professional teams still dominate for decades. The Patriots in the NFL and the Yankees in the NBA come to mind.
I realize comparing F1 to other sports is a apples-to-oranges exercise, but still....
I guess I enjoy the team aspect of a race, but I watch the race from an individual POV (e.g. watching Raikonnen/Bottas/Verstappen duking it out).
As do I.
I wish FIA would use blue flags like other racing series; it's an advisory flag letting the slow car know that lapping cars are coming through. That would get rid of the stupidity the FIA enforced at the last race. It's up to the leaders to work their way through, and sometimes it doesn't go well. But most times the lap-down cars do their best to not get in the way.
Completely agree.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:25 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

I realize comparing F1 to other sports is a apples-to-oranges exercise, but still....
As do I.

Completely agree.
Disagree with the views above and it is something that makes F1 more interesting.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:19 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Disagree with the views above and it is something that makes F1 more interesting.
Just curious (because what else do we have to talk about before the next race?), what's your opinion on those views (because there's a few floating in the forum ether above)?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-24-2018, 01:25 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Mick Schumacher is another step to being in F1 sooner rather than later:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...athing_attack/
It helps to have a competitor who is dumb enough to help your cause.

FP1 in Sochi will be a preview of a couple of next year's rookies:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...in_Russian_FP1
We know Norris will partner Sainz next year and it looks like Giovinazzi will be on the grid...possibly alongside Kimi.
Norris seems to be the most polished at this point, but who knows?

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:38 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Just curious (because what else do we have to talk about before the next race?), what's your opinion on those views (because there's a few floating in the forum ether above)?
You bring up a good point that I have been thinking about addressing....

It's OKAY to disagree with fellow posters.
There are no right or wrong opinions.
Too often the internet devolves in to a "I'm right and you're wrong" food fight that wastes everyone's time.
Let's show courtesy and respect for fellow forum members.
Fortunately, only occasionally has this thread seen out-of-bounds posting IMO.
Right now we have a great group, let's make keep this place a haven for intelligent, adult discussions.
BKorsaire (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 02:06 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Have a good one,
Mike
Team orders are a part of F1, and the Manufacturer's championship is the one that pays. F1 history is filled with finishes according to team orders, driver swaps, and strategy to use one car to help the other. F1 is a chess match not checkers.

Back markers should be required to let the faster car overtake after a certain number of blue flags unless they are in battle for position in which case another flag or 2 should be allowed.

Further, they should bring back refueling. I never wanted to see it go as it takes away another thing which should be accounted for in race strategy. As we have to talk about something before the next race, I find it sad that endurance races have turned into sprint races. I miss the strategy and yes even reliability being more of a factor.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:35 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

I too regret the abandonment of refuelling. It added another parameter of incertitude between the different strategies and visually for us as viewers, it was beautiful. It requires refueling and at least two types of tyre manufacturers.