Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:45 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
Updated table of F1 2019 presentations.

The US, you're going to have a shock: because of the Haas agreement with the drink can manufacturer Rich Energy (like RB), the livery (la robe) will change and will probably be golden, probably like the Lotus JPS, black gold, colors of Rich Energy and presented on the 7th... but not the real car 2019, which will be presented later.

A projection not validated Haas but with RE colors
Rich Energy already has a teaser? or something on their website: https://www.richenergy.us/

About halfway down on the right. Hopefully it's not geo-locked.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:58 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,277 Likes on 795 Posts

No géo-locked, I can see. it's a teaser because not official at this moment but probably, it'll be a car with these colors, like the can...I like the color
Old 02-04-2019, 12:03 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

FIA trying to stop the use of party mode:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...s_to_be_empty/
I hope it works.
IMO, this "party mode" is a bit unfair.

Alfa Romeo to release an "interesting innovations" not seen on any other F1 car so far:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...9_car__report/
This sounds interesting.
I would love to see them finish as best-of-the-rest.
They deserve some joy at Peter Sauber's old team.

Behind the scenes of Hartley's journey to Ferrari:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2019/02/hartley-joins-wehrlein-as-ferrari-f1-simulator-drivers-for-2019/
He is a smart kid, but I don't think he really was up to snuff as an F1 driver at TR.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:46 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I hope it works.
IDK, I like to see the best in performance, just for one lap. Qualifying is mostly about the entertainment value anyway, otherwise we'd finish up at the end of Q1.

Behind the scenes of Hartley's journey to Ferrari
:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2019/02/hartley-joins-wehrlein-as-ferrari-f1-simulator-drivers-for-2019/
He is a smart kid, but I don't think he really was up to snuff as an F1 driver at TR.
And how much was he outbid by Kvyat?
Old 02-04-2019, 12:49 PM
mattastick
Racer

I hope it works.
The party mode is all about engine damage. That's mostly what Merc understands that other teams don't. They know they can run x number of minutes in the highest damage mode, then switch over to mode 4 (or whatever, from the previous post by BK), do less damage to the engine, build a gap, and then go down to mode 12 (again, I can't remember the actual number) where they're doing even less damage to the engine, but because nobody can follow them that closely, it doesn't matter. Merc understands better than anyone how much damage each minute of running in each mode at each load does to the engine, and they know how to optimize that. The oil burn has been controlled for most of the last season (or longer, I can't remember when they changed that rule), but that's not the cause of "party mode" anymore, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 01:08 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
IDK, I like to see the best in performance, just for > one lap.
FIXED.
Qualifying is mostly about the entertainment value anyway, otherwise we'd finish up at the end of Q1.
Qualifying is also about who leads going into Turn One.

And how much was he outbid by Kvyat?
I don't know if it was about $$$.
Marko had been warning Hartley all season long he needed to up his game if he hoped to stay.
Gasly destroyed him last year.

Originally Posted by mattastick
The party mode is all about engine damage. That's mostly what Merc understands that other teams don't. They know they can run x number of minutes in the highest damage mode, then switch over to mode 4 (or whatever, from the previous post by BK), do less damage to the engine, build a gap, and then go down to mode 12 (again, I can't remember the actual number) where they're doing even less damage to the engine, but because nobody can follow them that closely, it doesn't matter. Merc understands better than anyone how much damage each minute of running in each mode at each load does to the engine, and they know how to optimize that. The oil burn has been controlled for most of the last season (or longer, I can't remember when they changed that rule), but that's not the cause of "party mode" anymore, IMO.
Thanx for the info.

I'll take mine in silver:

Old 02-04-2019, 01:47 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Qualifying is also about who leads going into Turn One.
Absolutely. I'm just saying that we could set the field after one session rather than 3. So, from an entertainment perspective, I like to see the qualifying be as amazing as possible. The front runners are going to stay front runners, I don't see any real danger of the top 4-6 cars being disrupted by mid-pack cars on a consistent basis.

Now, if it rains...

And, don't forget, NASCAR (which I do enjoy!) starts up this coming weekend!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-04-2019, 05:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

I'm just saying that we could set the field after one session rather than 3.
Very true.
So, from an entertainment perspective, I like to see the qualifying be as amazing as possible. The front runners are going to stay front runners, I don't see any real danger of the top 4-6 cars being disrupted by mid-pack cars on a consistent basis.
If there is ANYTHING F1 has right, it's Qualifying. (IMO).
Take a look at the crowds....
Is there a series that has a greater % of fans coming to the tracks the day before Race Day for Qualifying?

Now, if it rains...
If it's raining going into T1 the water falling won't be just rain.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:43 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

If there is ANYTHING F1 has right, it's Qualifying. (IMO).
Take a look at the crowds....
Is there a series that has a greater % of fans coming to the tracks the day before Race Day for Qualifying?

If it's raining going into T1 the water falling won't be just rain. [/QUOTE]

Also, good news that ESPN has realized they shouldn't screw things up; coverage is going to be uninterrupted. Anyone heard if the Sky Sports coverage of F1 tested is going to be seen here in the States?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-05-2019, 09:07 AM
mattastick
Racer

Also, good news that ESPN has realized they shouldn't screw things up; coverage is going to be uninterrupted. Anyone heard if the Sky Sports coverage of F1 tested is going to be seen here in the States?

Have a good one,
Mike
Last year I followed testing on Autosport, I think. They have basically a live feed of tweet-like posts that you can follow with timing, weather, picture, etc. updates. I think they posted ~1/minute or so, so you got a pretty good idea of what was going on throughout the test day.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:10 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

Mattastick, same analysis about the "party mode" and oil combustion, which was already very low in 2018 and banned this year. Mercedes' lead both in Q3 and in the race from meticulous extraction to the last possible horse while managing reliability reaches a peak in this exercise, an art !

Continuation and end of the description of the Ham V steering wheel with this episode III of AutoPlus with Jean-Louis Moncet journalist and ingénieur Irfane Kazi

"Our engineer Irfane completes his complete retrospective of the 2018 season with an analysis of Lewis Hamilton's steering wheel on the W09. Each order is listed, and this analysis - exclusive to you, blogger friends - concretely demonstrates all the operations that the reigning world champion could perform in trials and races. Finally, it is an operating manual that you must archive because most of these instruments, controls, switches and push buttons will still be in service this year. This is the last chapter of this very technical investigation, which has taught us a lot.

Purple rotating:
This multifunctional rotary allows access to parameters that are less frequently changed. There are in bulk: a "default" mode to manage certain problems, other differential values ("EXIT" and "INIT"), the volume in the pilot's earpiece ("VOL", for example for the beep signal to the pilot that he must change speed), the data display menus on the screen ("DISP"), and rain settings (WET), etc.

Rotary "HPP":
Rotary to change the parameters of the "High Performance Powertrains" propulsion block (richness, ignition, etc.). Each parameter of this rotary (1 to 16) can be associated with a defined value. In the vast majority of cases, it is the engineers who ask the pilot to change the value of an HPP parameter.
In an attempt to manage overheating during the Canadian GP, engineers played with these parameters by choosing a rich mixture temporarily, for example, before anticipating Hamilton's shutdown.
At the Japanese GP, Hamilton complained of "hesitations" on the part of the engine. After analysis, and several modifications, Hamilton's problems will be solved with a change in the value associated with HPP8.
More significantly, HPP engineers saved Hamilton's engine during the Brazilian GP. Exhaust temperatures exceeded 1000°C, and HPP engineers thought engine failure was imminent. Urgently requested changes in HPP parameters in Hamilton allowed temperatures to be brought under control.

"BB +":
Allows to add 0.5% to the brake distribution, forward.

"TALK":
Enables radio communications to be activated.

"RS" / "ACS" / "BW": The parts of a F1 have all their ideal operating temperature range. However, there are a whole range of situations in which an F1 is required to operate. For each of them, engineers and pilots must work to ensure that the temperatures are in the right window. To facilitate this process, "Magic" buttons can be used (you will hear "RS Magic" / ACS or even "Brake Magic" on the radio).
Let's take the example of brakes. During a period of Safety Car or Virtual Safety Car, the brakes are subjected to less stress, and it is therefore possible that their temperature may decrease. To combat this phenomenon, Mercedes uses the "BW" button (Brake Warming) on the steering wheel of Bottas (at Hamilton, we will hear about the "Brake Magic", not visible because it is located at the back of the steering wheel). If brake temperatures drop too low, Bonnington will ask Hamilton to activate his Brake Magic. HPP4 (BW) is linked to this feature.
Reducing the MGU-K's share during braking increases the load on the rear brakes. Then simply dose the BBal to heat the front and rear brakes in a balanced way. "Bono" will therefore be able to remind Lewis behind a Safety Car that he can use the HPP4 in position 4 if he wants to raise his brakes to a higher temperature.
However, it should be kept in mind that slowing down behind a VSC or SC results in a decrease in the air flow cooling the brakes: care must therefore be taken not to fall into the opposite excess or risk quickly overheating the brakes.
Similarly, Bonnington may be heard asking Hamilton to disable his "RS Magic" (ACS on the wheel of Bottas) during SC or VSC periods, or when the pilot is blocked in traffic, with the air flow available for cooling then being reduced (examples: Hamilton blocked behind Ricciardo and Vettel in Monaco, or Bottas behind the laggards at the Hungarian GP).

Green wheel "EB" (Engine Braking):
Engine brake parameters have an effect on the car's balance. At the US GP, Bonnington suggested Hamilton play with this parameter to help the car turn in slow corners. During the Monaco GP, the Hamilton EB wheel remained locked at value 1 regardless of the value selected by the driver. At the end of the Brazilian GP, Hamilton complained that he no longer had any grip, and that his car was "not running". In order to facilitate the rotation of the car, Bono suggested that he use the EB, or set his BMig to 2.

BBal" ****:
Allows to adjust the braking distribution (with greater steps than BB- or BB+.). During a qualifying lap, the pilot may sometimes change his distribution more than three times in order to optimize braking for particular turns and avoid blocking the front wheels (during the same lap, there may be a difference of several percent, from one turn to another). During the race, the driver adjusts these values as the fuel tank empties. The engineer may sometimes suggest to the pilot that he alter his braking distribution to manage temperature problems.
The most extreme case? The failure of Daniel Ricciardo's MGU-K at the Monaco GP: the absence of MGU-K has the effect of overloading the rear brake discs. To prevent the latter from catching fire, the Australian had to drive with a brake balance readjusted by 6 to 7% forward.

"PL":
Pit Lane mode used to avoid exceeding the speed limit in the pits.

« +1 »:
Similar to "+10", this button increases the value of a selected parameter by one unit.

"PC":
« Pit Confirm". The choice to make a stop can be made a few seconds before the pits enter. When pressed, this button allows the pilot to confirm to his team that he will indeed make a stop.

Hi Speed" wheel:
allows you to set the differential for high-speed turns.
At the Japanese GP, Bonnington rightly suggested to Hamilton to increase this differential (especially useful in the S in the first sector) in order to control the temperatures of the rear tires.
In addition to these parameters, the "OVERTAKE" button allows you to deploy a significant amount of electrical energy over a short period of time in order to encourage overtaking or to defend yourself against a competitor.
In addition to the speed paddles, the clutch paddles are customised to allow the pilot to get as close as possible to the target set for the start. During the weekend, departure tests are carried out. After each test, Bonnington told Hamilton how accurate his dosage was, and the deviation from the TARGET.

Finally, let us mention the "TAG level".
This term is regularly used in radio conversations between Hamilton and Bonnington: it allows engineers to get feedback on the rider's level of aggressiveness towards his tyres and in return to guide him on tyre management. There are several techniques to manage tires: accentuate the "lift & coast", limit any form of slipping, etc. In case of possible blistering, real-time adjusted temperature thresholds are communicated to the pilot (example: in order to preserve his pilot's soft tyres during the Italian GP, Bonnington has set the new limit not to be exceeded at 131°C after having noticed the blistering affecting the rear tyres of Räikkönen)."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

PS: for Nicoco, the Brake Magic was the BMIG, so I don't know what he called this button behind the wheel as Ham V has it in this configuration.

That's it, you know everything about the wheel of the five-time world champion LH#44. I look forward, like you, like the F1 fan journalists, to the resumption with the Barcelona tests, 2 weeks is still a long time but the end of the tunnel this winter of F1 is approaching ! gazzzz/throttlllleee

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
The following 2 users liked this post by BKorsaire:
sunsalem (02-05-2019), VetteDrmr (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:14 AM
mattastick
Racer

That's it, you know everything about the wheel of the five-time world champion LH#44. I look forward, like you, like the F1 fan journalists, to the resumption with the Barcelona tests, 2 weeks is still a long time but the end of the tunnel this winter of F1 is approaching ! gazzzz/throttlllleee
Cars start getting revealed in only 6 days. So there's that at least.

Thanks again for copying that write-up here. Awesome detail!
Old 02-05-2019, 10:48 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Alonso thinks MB's dominance is coming to an end:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ance_will_end/
We can only hope so.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:05 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

If it's raining going into T1 the water falling won't be just rain.

LOL, I plead LoC (Lack of Caffeine) after my afternoon nap.
I was TRYING to make a joke about tears, in addition to, rain would be falling.

Also, good news that ESPN has realized they shouldn't screw things up; coverage is going to be uninterrupted.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:38 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

LOL, I plead LoC (Lack of Caffeine) after my afternoon nap.
I was TRYING to make a joke about tears, in addition to, rain would be falling.

Yeah, I figured that out. And as any loyal fan would react...

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-05-2019, 05:43 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 373 Likes on 320 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by mattastick
I'd love to know how many motors, they abused testing the fuel, boost, timing etc maps to figure out how long the motor could take it. Further, I would wager they don't give out the detailed information they have from testing these motors and the customer teams don't get enough motors to do the R&D on their own.

I miss the days of Joest beating the factory Porsche 956s at Lemans by adapting another EFI system to the car.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:15 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by 93Polo

I miss the days of Joest beating the factory Porsche 956s at Lemans by adapting another EFI system to the car.
As long as the FIA insists powerunits have to be of the most exotic technology imaginable (as in expensive), those days of racing will never come back.

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:36 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

The list of 2019 pilots and teams.

What is interesting in this table, even if the Sauber structure remains independent and remains the operational company behind the team's commitment, it joins forces more closely than last year with the Italian manufacturer, the real surprise is to note that the chassis name is Alfa. This says more than many statements, on the one hand, but this morning we learned from Bild (Germany) that the presence of the name "Alfa Romeo Racing" would go much further than a rebranding and would in fact announce a stronger presence than ever of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in Formula 1. Bild CLEARLY RECOGNIZES that FCA has an option to fully acquire the assets of the team founded by Peter Sauber in order to make it his second home team alongside Scuderia Ferrari.

John Elkann, FCA's new CEO, is expected to make his decision by the summer, according to Bild. In the event of a full takeover of Sauber, a new chapter would open for the brave Swiss structure, which had always kept a minimum of room for manoeuvre when it was the armed arm of Mercedes and BMW in F1.

So soon Merco will buy Williams?....
Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Only one Williams driver announced?
Still waiting for the check to clear from driver #2?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:59 AM
mattastick
Racer

Originally Posted by 93Polo
I'd love to know how many motors, they abused testing the fuel, boost, timing etc maps to figure out how long the motor could take it. Further, I would wager they don't give out the detailed information they have from testing these motors and the customer teams don't get enough motors to do the R&D on their own.

I'm sure it was several. I'd imagine it's 1 engine per setting, and they run them through a relatively simple loop of loads/throttle positions, and then just keep cycling through the loop as many times as they can until failure. Or at least that's the way I'd do it. They could also do some number of laps at a given track, since the dynos are fancy enough to do that kind of thing now.

As for the customer teams getting the data, I think that's part of the engine lease contracts. There's a reason they get several engineers with the engines. Remember Monza a couple years ago, when a Williams was ahead of both Ferraris. The Williams car(s) were given allowance to use higher performance engine modes for longer in an effort to keep the red cars back. Normally, that would damage the engine, but if it helps the engine supplier win the championship in a close fight, I'm sure Merco agreed to give them a discount on the next engine if they kept the red cars back (which I think ended up being moot, as the Ferrari launch was way better or something like that).

So soon Merco will buy Williams?....
Let them flounder for another year, then buy for cheaper. Or maybe Mr. Lowe can make progress. Hopefully they started on 2019 development in May or so of 2018, since that car was such a turd. But I doubt that happened.