Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:43 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,276 Likes on 794 Posts

Haas : Steiner says the disagreement between Grosjean and Magnussen is due to a lack of clarity and clear instructions to Grosjean, ignoring his teammate's different option.

Shangaï : weather forecast : friday in the rain, saturday scattered rain, sunny sunday, 19° C.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:06 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

Mercedes' mistakes (lost strategists, a lack of reliability, an inability to pull the quintessence of the softest rubber) were exploited by the opportunist Vettel. With 17 points behind the leader of the Scuderia, Hamilton must stop the haemorrhage by winning on Sunday on a track where he evolves like a fish in water (five wins to his credit) and which usually succeeds in Brackley (always in pole since 2012).

The cooler temperatures expected in Shanghai, where showers are forecast on Friday and Saturday, should work in favour of his mount. Fast, however, the W09 tends - like the previous "Diva" - to overheat the softer gums in high heat. The Chinese circuit brings the first high-speed curves of the season, an area where traditionally excel the Silver Arrows. It will be necessary to check if the extension of the wheelbase of the Ferrari brings them closer to Mercedes in these sectors. In Shanghai, the engine is under little stress at full load and aerodynamic performance takes first place. j'adore the curves 1, 2 and 3 which are in fact one and the same curve, I call it the snail, as Carlito (Sainz).

Obligation to put on at least one set of S or M during the race if it takes place dry track. Ferrari, Haas, Williams and McLaren have made the most aggressive choices with the US, 8 sets. No SS, which implies a greater performance differential between the two types of compounds supposed to be the fastest...wait and see as US say !

Last edited by BKorsaire; 04-12-2018 at 07:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mattastick (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 10:18 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I really like the info in these posts, BKorsaire! The tire allocation is always interesting to look at. It's interesting that Hamilton said the US was the best tire that Pirelli have built, and yet, the Silver Arrows have the least number of them (tied only with FI). Ferrari have 2 extra sets. Maybe they didn't fix the diva from last year...
Old 04-12-2018, 11:34 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Thank you Mattastick for your word, I am a F1 fan since 1976 and I like the most informations possible when a GP arrives to be able to understand the strategy and I like sharing. I agree totally with you : the "Diva" is still there and the W09 is still overheating its rear tires on heat tracks. That's why Pirelli will make a new compound for the renew circuits, Barcelona, Le Castellet, Baku to avoid blistering on these circuits at Mercedes.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:47 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Ricciardo on the LH vs. MV dustup in Bahrain:

“It didn’t deserve a penalty, so that was fine,” Ricciardo said. “It reminded me a little bit of me and Rosberg in Budapest where Rosberg kept coming and I was on the exit kerb, and I had nowhere else to go.
“I think Max had the move done, I just don’t think he needed to run Lewis all of the way to the kerb. I think regardless Max would have stayed ahead, he’s just a little bit too greedy in my racing opinion.
“I heard some people say Lewis could have lifted and pulled out, but like you’re there, unless you turned off the track or braked. It’s easier said than done. I don’t think because Lewis was so tight as well, he wasn’t going to make Turn 2 with any form of speed so even if Max hung around the outside, I think Max would have had him regardless but squeezed him a little bit too much.”

Lewis apologizes to Max:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...the_last_race/
Wise move by LH...making things personal doesn't help anyone's cause in F1.

DR says he would have went for the pass on Vettel:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...gainst_Vettel/
It seems obvious DR is on a PR campaign for a seat at Ferrari or MB...nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by sunsalem; 04-12-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:52 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sunsalem
[B][U]...
DR says he would have went for the pass on Vettel:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...gainst_Vettel/
It seems obvious DR is on a PR campaign for a seat at Ferrari or MB...nothing wrong with that.
Valtteri Bottas' passivity behind Sebastian Vettel at the end of the race last Sunday in Bahrain also left Toto Wolff perplexed, as did Hamilton, who had declared that he had attempted an attack in his place. Now it's Ricci's turn: poor Valterri, you're too tender ! His place is really in the balance: Toto declared that he was considering Ricci, Ocon as well as ...Sainz !!!

Ricci's very nice to Merco right now, ...um...curious, isn't he ? does he expect something ?
Old 04-12-2018, 02:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
! His place is really in the balance: Toto declared that he was considering Ricci, Ocon as well as ...Sainz !!!
Of those 3, I believe DR is the best and would take him over the other 2.

FWIW, here is the view from Max's cockpit of the incident with LH.
You can see he doesn't give LH a lot of room (start the video at the 40 second mark).
After looking at this, I'm wondering if he went wide to avoid running into the back of the McLaren?

Old 04-12-2018, 02:48 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 04-12-2018, 11:57 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Old 04-13-2018, 12:15 AM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Nothing against Leigh Diffey, but I'd prefer Bob Varsha back.
I like Steve Matchett, but replace David Hobbs with someone current, and hope maybe they wouldn't trade banalities all race long.
But hey, the coverage and commentary are light years ahead of where they were on broadcast. Even with the asinine shots of some clown tapping his foot...
Look forward to the thread and info.
Thanks sunsalem for hosting!
Still miss Zoxxo....
Have you watched the two races this year? There is no Diffey, Matchett, or Hobbs. They have ( IMO ) clowns who I cannot understand. Bob Varsha was the best ( IMO ).
Old 04-13-2018, 03:20 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZERRY 316
Have you watched the two races this year? There is no Diffey, Matchett, or Hobbs. They have ( IMO ) clowns who I cannot understand. Bob Varsha was the best ( IMO ).
I too have problems trying to understand the British (especially Paul di Resta's Scottish accent) version of American English.
Varsha's smooth, calm baritone is definitely missed.

BTW, if it hasn't been said before, WELCOME to the thread!
Old 04-13-2018, 03:22 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 04-13-2018, 03:48 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

As expected, light rain arrived 10 mn before the end of the FP2. Gap very close ahead. ''Joli combat'' I think for tomorrow.

Haas expects by plane new parts for Grosjean tomorrow (bargeboards). Unsafe released for Vandoorn.

Used tyre and laps in FP2

Hey Honda, Vmax

The Losange factory team, as well as its customer teams RBR and McLaren, all have the opportunity to use more efficient engine modes in Shanghai this weekend, compared to what was allowed in Australia and Bahrain, because Renault is in situation to preserve the reliabilty. The manufacturer announced a new, more efficient MGU K and subsequently a revised ICE with an evolution of fuel and oils.

Battery: Renault is not yet sure what caused the problem with Ricci's car in Bahrain, whether it is chassis or engine related. It was an electrical problem, which obviously affected the batteries. But I notice that twice, it is only RBR that is concerned (Catalunya testings and last week).

Verstappen runway exit, event passed : it appears now, Max pass from 4 gear to 5 on the vibrator. He did the same stunt this morning without negative consequences this time. He wants to put the power back on the output and the vibrator too fast.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 04-13-2018 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Add comments
Old 04-13-2018, 08:10 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Interesting tire selection from Pirelli: No Supersoft option. Ultrasoft, then skips to Soft and Medium.

BTW, to Zerry316: Welcome to the thread! Also, what we're hearing in the US now is the UK's Sky Sports feed. The accents take a bit to get used to, but their quality of observation of what's going on is excellent. Add to that ESPN/Mother's Care Care uninterrupted coverage, and, IMO, it's going to be a good package.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-13-2018, 08:59 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BKorsaire

The Losange factory team, as well as its customer teams RBR and McLaren, all have the opportunity to use more efficient engine modes in Shanghai this weekend, compared to what was allowed in Australia and Bahrain, because Renault is in situation to preserve the reliabilty. The manufacturer announced a new, more efficient MGU K and subsequently a revised ICE with an evolution of fuel and oils.
This is not necessarily going to benefit RBR, as they use a different fuel/oil supplier than factory Renault and McLaren. It is good to hear that they're making progress and will have updates, though.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:02 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

For those don't like the commentators or streaming and looking for a FREE broadcast it's on the spanish channel @ 2am Sunday
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Mystery solved...Max has big feet:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ge_in_Bahrain/
Maybe RB needs to adjust his pedals?

Alonso denies leaving McLaren for MB or Ferrari:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ge_in_Bahrain/
It would be amazing if he ended up with one of those teams, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Liberty is picking on Bernie again:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...tside_paddock/
Can't a billionaire catch a break?

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 12:13 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Liberty is picking on Bernie again:
Ahh, you made me grin!

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 04-13-2018 at 12:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 12:53 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Default What did I just read???

This article says that Vettel changed out a component of the power unit between FP3 and qualifying last week. Hamilton got a 5 gridspot penalty for changing a gearbox before FP1, but Vettel didn't for changing out a part of the PU after FP3?

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ain_struggles/

What am I missing?

Mike
Old 04-13-2018, 01:12 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
This article says that Vettel changed out a component of the power unit between FP3 and qualifying last week. Hamilton got a 5 gridspot penalty for changing a gearbox before FP1, but Vettel didn't for changing out a part of the PU after FP3?

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ain_struggles/

What am I missing?

Mike
they didn't change anything. It says so in the article. They inspected it and "found it healthy".