Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Awesome, entertaining race, and pretty darned good coverage. Now just stuff some cotton in Croft's mouth...
Brilliant effort just to get DR out in time to qualify, excellent driving (although, if he had crashed out on one of those passes, he would have looked guilty...), beautiful pitwork and strategy, and not to overlook plain luck with the SC.
Anyone else catch the Indy cars at Long Beach?
Other than the cars being all the same, it was a pretty good show. Lots of great overtaking maneuvers!
Struck by the difference in aero packages between F1 and Indycar. Could it be? less aero makes for better racing?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:56 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by mattastick
At some point, the replay coverage showed on board from one of the Mercs front wing cameras, and the SC sign was flashing before the car had committed to the last corner. So they could have conceivably pitted and been on the same strategy as the RBRs. That's Merc losing it/not being ready for a possible race changing event. Red Bull was ready, the other top teams weren't.
I saw that, and yeah, technically they could have pitted. One thing I didn't know was if the teams knew before the SC sign was displayed that it was coming. If so, then yeah, they blew it.

However, if they didn't know, then it looked to me that they had maybe 1 second (the replay had it slowed down by some amount) to react. Hence the front 4 cars didn't, but RB had the opportunity.

BTW, I thought Bottas ran a great race. I think last week's race performance either motivated him directly, or motivated someone else that then motivated him. Either way, he fought hard to get to the front, and stayed there just about as long as he could. Second place was a good finish for him, given the circumstances.

It looks like a really good fight between Mercedes and Ferrari; we'll see a lot more when the first major set of updates arrive on stage.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-16-2018, 12:02 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Other than the cars being all the same, it was a pretty good show. Lots of great overtaking maneuvers!
Struck by the difference in aero packages between F1 and Indycar. Could it be? less aero makes for better racing?
Yes, LB was a good race. Really good racecraft, tough luck for some with yellows, some amazing passes, some REALLY STUPID attempts, all in all quite entertaining.

And Rossi was just in killer mode. Best drive I think I've ever seen out of him, both in the race and qualifying.

Remember this though about the aero packages: they're just about standardized (I think they can do some minor work along the side pods). F1 would never stand for that.

Have a good one,
Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 04-16-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Yeah, hard to stomach the 'spec-car' (NASCAR...) nature of the series. At least the cars don't look so stupid this year!
Bordais' pass was simply amazing, I thought he was into the wall for sure. Sorry to see him penalized for it.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:21 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Yeah, hard to stomach the 'spec-car' (NASCAR...) nature of the series. At least the cars don't look so stupid this year!
Bordais' pass was simply amazing, I thought he was into the wall for sure. Sorry to see him penalized for it.
I actually enjoy Indycar and NASCAR, and F1 (ok, if it's got an internal combustion engine and a checkered flag I'm probably interested ), but for different reasons. I don't get all nostalgic about any of the series "back in the day"ness (although CART in the late 80s-mid 90s was epic), time & technology changes stuff.

Comparing different series has never worked well, IMO.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-16-2018, 01:00 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I saw that, and yeah, technically they could have pitted. One thing I didn't know was if the teams knew before the SC sign was displayed that it was coming. If so, then yeah, they blew it.

However, if they didn't know, then it looked to me that they had maybe 1 second (the replay had it slowed down by some amount) to react. Hence the front 4 cars didn't, but RB had the opportunity.
Although the SC light came on right before MB and Ferrari drove past, it's hard to say for certain when the pit wall became aware of it.
Assuming they knew when we knew, and given the possibility of a SC, they should have already made a decision on what to do if it actually did happen.

It looks like a really good fight between Mercedes and Ferrari
Given the last 4 years, I'm too cynical to accept it just yet.

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

Comparing different series has never worked well, IMO.
FWIW, I'm only interested in F1 and Sportscars...and women's mudwrestling.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:25 PM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Last year I just couldn't stay into F1. So far though i'm happy with the new lineup. I think we are up for a great year of F1 fights. Just some excellent driving and amazing passes. Mix in that cars are looking closer in competition. Also maybe i'll finally be a legal watching F1 enthusiast when they open up that $8/per race cost to stream watch. I'm so down to watch the angles i want occasionally. Sometimes I watch a whole race and can't really tell what track we are on from this jumping from corner to corner nonsense. Can't we have a race with atleast 1 full lap incar view to catch the flow of things.

And bring back the thermal tire view!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2018, 04:10 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Its gonna be funny to see when MB actually gets their **** together and start smoking everyone.
My guess is by the start of the european season
Old 04-16-2018, 05:29 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
Its gonna be funny to see when MB actually gets their **** together and start smoking everyone.
I hope not. They've had a good run but it will end, it always does. They're probably working as hard, just not as effectively. There is no way they can be as hungry as they have been in the past.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:01 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by IansInGarage
Also maybe i'll finally be a legal watching F1 enthusiast when they open up that $8/per race cost to stream watch.
That is how much Liberty is going to charge?
I hadn't seen a fee amount before.

And WELCOME to the thread!

Originally Posted by D K
That's what I'm afraid of.

Last edited by sunsalem; 04-16-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:19 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Awesome, entertaining race, and pretty darned good coverage. Now just stuff some cotton in Croft's mouth...
Brilliant effort just to get DR out in time to qualify, excellent driving (although, if he had crashed out on one of those passes, he would have looked guilty...), beautiful pitwork and strategy, and not to overlook plain luck with the SC.
IMSA at Long Beach was better. And Corvette Racing won

Oh, and the rumor is that Oliver Gain will beat out Louise for a seat with Sauber next year, which could leave Louise seat-less.....

Last edited by Thunder22; 04-16-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by D K
Old 04-16-2018, 10:05 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Didn't catch the IMSA race. Spaced that it was on...
Really unhappy with the whole BoP concept anyway. It's ludicrous.
Still enjoy watching the tough looking cars go around, but can't EVEN pretend it means anything.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:39 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Still enjoy watching the tough looking cars go around, but can't EVEN pretend it means anything.
As usual at LB, there wasn't much to see.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:44 AM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...ix-in-may.html

F1 TV Pro. Launching with price between $8-12 per race. Big fingers crossed for Sky commentary. It is region based I believe.

Also you just blew me away with BoP. I didn’t know they did that for IMSA, but it makes 100% sense to me. It’s a endurance race, not a car technology race (F1).
Old 04-17-2018, 09:25 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

It’s a endurance race, not a car technology race (F1).
Oh, the thing you just said. DUCK!!!

Seriously, welcome to the F1 thread!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-17-2018, 11:03 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Shanghai race analysis:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/...ed-the-f1-win/

Marko warns MB not to touch Ricciardo:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...icciardo_move/
DR is certainly in the cat bird's seat right now.
If there is any way MB or Ferrari can sign him they should IMO.

Brundle stirs the pot regarding the Silly Season:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...lace_Hamilton/

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...ix-in-may.html

F1 TV Pro. Launching with price between $8-12 per race. Big fingers crossed for Sky commentary. It is region based I believe.
Thank you for that.
Seems a little high-priced to me.
I'll stay with ESPN for now...

Also you just blew me away with BoP. I didn’t know they did that for IMSA, but it makes 100% sense to me. It’s a endurance race,
There is a lot of criticism for IMSA's use of BoP.
In spite of its problems, it does result in close racing IMO.
For the sake of cars finishing on the same lap, I'm willing to put up with its deficiencies.

not a car technology race (F1).
And therein lies the Great Debate: should it really BE a tech race?
Is it more enjoyable for the fans?
Is it an economically sound format?

Last edited by sunsalem; 04-17-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:40 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Other than the prototype class, IMSA is supposedly production based?
If they returned more closely to that format, with limited modifications allowed, and (larger?) minimum production numbers required, they would also contain competitors costs.
Instead of some silly and arbitrary BoP to try to equalize cars that are clearly not in the same category, they could classify cars by a purchase price/production volume strategy.
Numbers here are arbitrary...
<$75K might catch Camaros and Mustangs
<$150K might fit Corvettes, Porsches, BMW, etc.
>$150 for Ferrari, Lambo, Ford GT...
And since it's a US based production car series, only models certified for US highway use would be allowed.
Of course, the manufacturers would always be tempted to throw out some limited production loss-leader IMSA homologation specials. By insisting on minimum production numbers, that would insure an available supply for us enthusiasts to own.
Think back to the late '60s, early '70s TransAm series...
Contains cost
REAL marketing value
Relevant racing, again
And might be some awesome 'trickle down'!
But then, this is supposed to be an F1 thread.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:49 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Other than the prototype class, IMSA is supposedly production based?
GTLM, I don't think so. GTD is probably a lot closer. I think GTLM is more of a silhouette class, where some of the body lines have to match the production car, but other than that...

Have a good one,
Mike