Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Talk C7 Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by vicomel
I just picked up my new C7 GS two days ago. This will be a dedicated track car. The car has the GT seats and I had planned to do the Comp seat conversion and put in a harness bar for my HANS. I sat in a C7 Comp seat and the bottom of the bolster was about 1 inch above the top of my shoulder, so I figured the Comp seat conversion would work. I am just over 6 ft tall with a 31 inch inseam. Now I am thinking I better make sure the retrofit will work before I order it, or if I should even go this route. Are the bolster locations the same for the GM Comp seats and the conversion kits? Part of the reason that I was not going with new race seats was that I thought there would be issues with air bag codes/etc. if the GT seats were removed. Based on the thread, it sounds like switching out the GT seats for race seats should not be a big deal. Is this correct?
For a dedicated track car, I would use race seats. They will hold you in place much better than the stock seats. The air bag will be deactivated when you unplug the stock seat; however, air bag deployment with a helmet is risky and not really needed with a 6-point harness and Hans type device. The fasten seat belt light will be on in the dash but does not chime.

I'm surprised the comp seat provides the correct harness alignment for you. With a 31" inseam, more of your height is from the waist up. I'm 6'3" and wear 36" inseam pants, and the fits was not even close for me. The picture in post# 16 by Bill Dearborn is me sitting in Bill's car.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:25 PM
vicomel
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I thought the same thing and plan to sit in another Comp seat and will check the measurements very closely; however, I am now leaning toward race seats.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:48 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Check the width of the seat base. I managed to show horn in my Sparco Evo 2 non US into my GS. But, the tunnel is too narrow and you can only put the seat in so far forward. I was right at my limit for seat position. I’m going to run a narrower seat when this one expires.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2017, 01:32 PM
vicomel
Instructor

Originally Posted by rb185afm
Check the width of the seat base. I managed to show horn in my Sparco Evo 2 non US into my GS. But, the tunnel is too narrow and you can only put the seat in so far forward. I was right at my limit for seat position. I’m going to run a narrower seat when this one expires.

I was interested in the Sparco Evo 2 for my C5 and was told the fit would be tight. After talking to a number of C5 guys, I opted for Corbeau seats. I would consider them to be more of a low to mid-level type seat, but I am happy with them. They were about half the price of the Sparco's. They fit in the C5 nicely, although you have to put the drivers seat in the passenger area and the passenger seat in the drivers area. I am not sure if the seat spaces are similar for the C5 and C7's or not. I will definitely have to check out the OMP HTE-R 400 seats based on others recommendations.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I posted this over in this thread in the ZR1 section but it looks like GM is doing ZR1 hot laps for journalists with the comp seats and a harness bar and harnesses. Perhaps this isn't as big of a deal as we think? I would think that GM would be very cautious with their employees and journalists. You need to look at the video at the top of this thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...in-action.html
Old 12-13-2017, 07:18 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I recently put the Sparco Evo 2 US in my C7GS with the AMT seat mount. The top of the seat slightly presses on the interior door trim but the door will close FWIW.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:37 AM
jloZ06
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Padron me sir! They're not there same thing!

Well ok maybe they are. They are the same in that they both mount a side mount seat low to the floor. Key differences are however:

Ours flush mount hex screws through the side brackets which eliminates a wrench at install (which is a pretty big deal when you're trying to install seats in a caged car) and means there is nothing to stop the seat from going all the way to the floor. I believe Marrad uses flat head screws which are fine, but the captured hex makes the whole thing a bit easier.

Here's the seat all the way down.

Our side brackets can be flipped 90 degrees so you can actually mount the seat higher if you want, or have an extreme lean angle. Point is you have tons of mounting options with ours that you don't have with others. Do you need them all? Perhaps not, but you have them all.

Lastly the side brackets are machined with a radius so they actually lock in with bottom mounts. Any other mount I've seen has the side brackets just sitting on the bolts but ours actually lock in with a mechanical interface. Again, overkill, but that's the way we prefer to do it. Take a little extra machine time to make the best and strongest product we can make.

I think we have two sets left if anyone wants to scoop them up today at 15% off. Just use o
Coupon code "Thanksgiving" at checkout.
More in stock soon?
Old 02-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by jloZ06
More in stock soon?
​​​​​​
I'm in Costa Rica this week and next week but I have all the parts finish machined at the shop and ready to assemble upon my return. I'll be shipping the week of the 12th. I'll email everyone who's been waiting patiently. Thanks very much.
The following users liked this post:
jloZ06 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 07:19 PM
5senna5
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by topmover
I recently put the Sparco Evo 2 US in my C7GS with the AMT seat mount. The top of the seat slightly presses on the interior door trim but the door will close FWIW.
How far back do you have the seat mounted? Sounds like the Evo 2 only works about halfway back?
Old 03-05-2018, 04:36 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Mu$cle
I have the Competition seats and am a fan based on styling, fit and comfort; however, they are not the best solution for me on the track.

As Sean mentions in post #4, before you invest in a comp seat conversion, be sure the comp seats will allow proper shoulder harness alignment for your shoulder height. The shoulder harness needs to come straight through the comp seat openings and across your shoulders. In my case (6'3") the comp seat openings were well below the top of my shoulders. If I were to use a harness with the comp seat, the shoulder harness would pass through the seat openings and have to go up and over my shoulders. A collision would guarantee spine compression - not good!

My solution was based on significant help from Fleming23 and Mark at AMT Motorsport. I use the OMP HTE-R 400 seats (see picture in Fleming23's first post) on AMT Ultra Low Seat Mounts and a Brey Krause (BK) harness bar.

If you were to use the OMP HTE-R seat (halo design, which I would recommend) be sure to get the 400 model as this is the one that will fit in the C7Z with windows up. The difference between the HTE-R and HTE-R 400 is the 400 halo is slightly narrower and not as thick so the outer dimension is less than the non-400.

The AMT seat mounts are very well designed and manufactured, including how they attach to the stock seat studs. I now have significant additional helmet clearance. Be sure to include the optional sub-belt bar.

I'll admit that getting in and out of the race seats is a bit of a challenge at 6'3" 220, but once I'm in, this arrangement holds me in place significantly better than the comp seat with seat belt. I have ridden with a friend who uses the Shark bar, harness and comp seat arrangement which is an improvemnt over the seat belts, but nothing like the OMP seat. If your shoulder height allows the appropriate harness alignment with the comp seat and harness, this is an effective and cost efficient alternative.

I really like the Brey Krause bar because of its substantial structural design and how it attaches to the B-pillar. The BK bar also provides a higher harness location than the Shark bar with a second, higher, attachment point if needed. I use the lower attachment point.

Swapping the OMP seats with the Comp seats during off season, or even between track events, is not a big deal, especially if you have a helper. You will be surprised how much heavier the comp seats are compared to the OMP seat with AMT mount.

I hope this information is helpful, and good luck with your decisions.
How does the leg room compare to the stock seat? I'm 6'3" so I have the factory seat all the way back. Thanks
Old 03-05-2018, 04:44 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
How does the leg room compare to the stock seat? I'm 6'3" so I have the factory seat all the way back. Thanks
With my OMP HTE-R 400, I believe I actually gained leg room. The seat is not nearly as padded and that alone probably accounts for some. I had to move my seat forward a bit more than I initially anticipated when setting up my seat rails. The only issue I foresee with mounting your race seat all the way back is actually gaining access to the rear mounting bolts. No swivel or ball socket I had would fit and the nut is pretty large so getting a wrench back there was pretty impossible too. Even a crow's foot was problematic due to angles and space constraints.
badhabit_wb (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:07 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fleming23
With my OMP HTE-R 400, I believe I actually gained leg room. The seat is not nearly as padded and that alone probably accounts for some. I had to move my seat forward a bit more than I initially anticipated when setting up my seat rails. The only issue I foresee with mounting your race seat all the way back is actually gaining access to the rear mounting bolts. No swivel or ball socket I had would fit and the nut is pretty large so getting a wrench back there was pretty impossible too. Even a crow's foot was problematic due to angles and space constraints.
Thanks. I was thinking about comp seats but have decided against that. I think I'm going to go ahead and put seats, harness bar, and 6 point harnesses on both sides. I had a blast at VIR over the weekend and had an instructor tell me that at the speeds we were going it would be a great idea to have a little more protection. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:04 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Another quick question. How's visibility on track. Can you see your mirrors? Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:57 PM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

My experience is same as Fleming23's. I ended the iterative trail & error fit process with my seats a little more forward than I expected. (I also adjust the stock seats fully back for street driving and slightly forward for track.)

The rear mounting nuts are a challenge. I use flat washers and no lock washers. I install the rear nuts first, apply pressure to the rear of the seat, and tighten as much as possible by hand. Then I install and tighten the front nuts which applies a little more tension to the rear nuts. Finally, I have my very thin-armed wife tighten them with a 24mm open end wrench (obviously at a steep angle).

Regarding mirrors, if your have the 3LZ interior with memory seats, the electric mirror adjustments no longer work requiring manual adjustment which is somewhat unnerving. If you don't have memory seats, your mirror adjustments will continue to work.

Since the OMP seats sit lower, which is helpful for headroom, it may take a few laps to get used to your elbows being lower, and thus closer to the center console.
badhabit_wb (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:49 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

One other question. I talked with a supplier and they said they thought that the seat would be too narrow for me. I'm 6'3" and roughly 225 lbs. I don't think there's anywhere close to Raleigh NC for me to sit in one and try it out and I don't want to buy 2 seats that don't fit. I have a 36 - 38 waist size if that helps. Thanks again.

Herman
Old 03-06-2018, 10:26 AM
vicomel
Instructor

I am 6'-1" 190 lbs and the OMP HTER 400 seat just fits (snugly) for me. The OMP HTR may be a bit snug for you, but I would suggest asking some folks if you can try their seats the next time you are at the track. I am currently putting the OMP seat in my C-7 GS, but was given the wrong rails and side brackets so I am picking up new rails and brackets from OG racing today. Also, I was told by Bray-Krause that I need the Recaro sliders rather than the OMP sliders. I drive my car to the track so I like being able to move the seat forward and back with a slider. I have the Corbeau A-4 seats in my C-5 and they work fine and are comfortable and allow for a bigger body. They are not a fixed back seat, do not have head restraint and the side bolsters are not very high. However, they are economical (about $800 for 2 seats) and have passages for 5 point harnesses. I have been happy with my A-4 seats, but wanted the head restraints and the higher side bolsters that the OMP's provide. I will post the correct rail/side bracket/slider numbers after I confirm that they all work.
badhabit_wb (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 01:16 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

I'm 6'0 - 225 and the seat fits me in a racing suit (same waist size)...

If you order from OG Racing you can try the seat out and if it doesn't fit, return it. You would obviously need to pay shipping, and the seat must remain in new condition so be very careful not to scratch it.

Last edited by fleming23; 03-06-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Let's Talk C7 Seats

Old 03-06-2018, 01:54 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I'm 6'0 - 225 and the seat fits me in a racing suit (same waist size)...

If you order from OG Racing you can try the seat out and if it doesn't fit, return it. You would obviously need to pay shipping, and the seat must remain in new condition so be very careful not to scratch it.
Thanks I talked with them this morning and they were afraid it wouldn't fit. They also didn't have any in stock. If you did it again would you use the same seat?
I talked with Mark this morning and the seat mounts are on the way.
Is the airbag light the only thing that comes on or does the seatbelt chime come on too?

Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:07 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Thanks I talked with them this morning and they were afraid it wouldn't fit. They also didn't have any in stock. If you did it again would you use the same seat?
I talked with Mark this morning and the seat mounts are on the way.
Is the airbag light the only thing that comes on or does the seatbelt chime come on too?

Thanks again.
No complaints with mine and would definitely order again. The only way I would have changed anything would have been to order a Racetech seat, but I could not find one, with halo protection, that would fit.

The airbag light comes on but I don't recall any seat belt chime. You have to press okay on the steering wheel for the airbag warning and possibly the seat belt as well. I don't remember now because it has become such a routine. I only put my stock seat back in once all last year and that was for a trip to the dealer as it was just easier. I know the seat belt chime does not continue to ding driving down the road as that would drive me crazy. As mentioned previously, your mirrors will no longer work if you have the memory package (2LZ/3LZ) which I initially found to be really annoying as I back into my garage on a 4 post lift and use the mirrors to guide me.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:13 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

No complaints with mine and would definitely order again. The only way I would have changed anything would have been to order a Racetech seat, but I could not find one, with halo protection, that would fit.

The airbag light comes on but I don't recall any seat belt chime. You have to press okay on the steering wheel for the airbag warning and possibly the seat belt as well. I don't remember now because it has become such a routine. I only put my stock seat back in once all last year and that was for a trip to the dealer as it was just easier. I know the seat belt chime does not continue to ding driving down the road as that would drive me crazy. As mentioned previously, your mirrors will no longer work if you have the memory package (2LZ/3LZ) which I initially found to be really annoying as I back into my garage on a 4 post lift and use the mirrors to guide me.
Thanks. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution for the mirrors and the airbag light. I'm hoping I can find someone local that has the seats so I can sit in them first but I think it's probably risky not doing it right. I was going 150 at VIR and I'd hate to test the factory brakes and harness at that speed. I'd actually hate to test any setup at that speed but I think the full harness and seat would offer a lot more protection.
The only thing I'm wondering about is roll protection. I wonder how strong the hoop is on the c7. That seat might be worse in a roll over.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk C7 Seats