Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 Aero Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 03:30 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Default C6 Z06 Aero Options

For a full set (splitter, side skirts, and full length spoiler) of oem carbon fiber pieces it costs about 5k

For a full set of Katech pieces in fiberglass it is about 3.5k

if you go with acs though which is also fiberglass it is only around 1.5k

heres the acs splitter:

http://www.zip-corvette.com/05-13-c6...-splitter.html

what are the downsides of going with this over the katech or oem pieces?
Old 12-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Andrie
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m interested as well
Old 12-02-2017, 08:46 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

That is show car aero, if you are doing aero for a track car don’t waste your money
Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Real Carbon Fiber

Go with this, http://www.c7carbon.com/carbon-fiber...zr1z06gs-p-483

I have run these and they are great looking also.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:35 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Do the c7 carbon pieces produce real downforce like the oem pieces? Or are they just for show? I want something that generates real downforce.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by freaknbigpanda
Do the c7 carbon pieces produce real downforce like the oem pieces? Or are they just for show? I want something that generates real downforce.
Not really, rear spoilers/wings really need to be attached to the frame, not trunk lid. I wouldn't waste your money unless for looks.

google danny popp or rich willhoff and check out their rear spoilers
Old 12-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Glowing Rotors
St Jude Drive every year
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Default C6Z Aero

If you want dedicated track car aero for your C6, check with those who used to run the C6 in the Pirelli World Challenge racing series. LG and Blackdog both did and there may be others. They have first hand experience in what really works.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:50 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Whis9
Not really, rear spoilers/wings really need to be attached to the frame, not trunk lid. I wouldn't waste your money unless for looks.

google danny popp or rich willhoff and check out their rear spoilers
I do think the frame mounted wing is desirable, but the Viper ACR-E has the BIGGEST damn wing I've ever seen on any race car and it's only bolted to the rear hatch. If you've ever grabbed an open hatch of a Gen 5 Viper, it is very light and you'd never think it would withstand the drag of that giant wing. And the results speak for themselves as it is one of the fastest street legal cars to ever hit a road course.

I have seen a lot of Vettes, Nissans, Porsches, Camaros, Mustangs etc have wings just bolted to the hatch deck or trunk lid with no real issue and with very good results.

Aero is very complicated and the amount of weight that is actually pushing "down" on the wing is a lot less than the total rear downforce generated by the reduction of lift and increase suction of the car to the ground. Aero is synergistic so the wing is just one part of the equation.

I would not dissuade anybody from mounting to a deck or trunk lid if a frame mounted design is not an option.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I do think the frame mounted wing is desirable, but the Viper ACR-E has the BIGGEST damn wing I've ever seen on any race car and it's only bolted to the rear hatch. If you've ever grabbed an open hatch of a Gen 5 Viper, it is very light and you'd never think it would withstand the drag of that giant wing. And the results speak for themselves as it is one of the fastest street legal cars to ever hit a road course.

I have seen a lot of Vettes, Nissans, Porsches, Camaros, Mustangs etc have wings just bolted to the hatch deck or trunk lid with no real issue and with very good results.

Aero is very complicated and the amount of weight that is actually pushing "down" on the wing is a lot less than the total rear downforce generated by the reduction of lift and increase suction of the car to the ground. Aero is synergistic so the wing is just one part of the equation.

I would not dissuade anybody from mounting to a deck or trunk lid if a frame mounted design is not an option.
Viper ACR-E trunk is reinforced carbon fiber, and was specifically designed for that wing. A normal trunk lid is not designed to add 500-1000 lbs of downforce. The lid can deflect under force and change the angle of attack of the wing. The rubber trunk lid bushings can compress and change the angle of attack of the wing. Sure you can bolt any giant picnic table on the back trunk lid "with no real issue", but that does not mean the wing is operating correctly or efficiently. Additionally, the wing could literally be ripped off the trunk if not secured properly with backing plates. Unless the trunk is specifically designed or modified to accept the downforce created by a wing, it is usually not advisable. A chassis mounted wing is far preferable.

Last edited by Mordeth; 12-04-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:16 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Aero is like any other component, some systems are designed better than others - an APR wing deck mounted wing will work, is it the best way to mount it -no- but it will work. The airfoil is mounted to the rear of the car and it creates more than enough downforce to settle the rear of the car.

The systems offered by LG or Good Aero (I would include Blackdog here but they stopped making aero bits for these cars) are a big step up, the air foils are much stronger and more efficient, being chassis mounted they transfer any force directly to the chassis which is further back than a deck lid mounted unit so there is some extra leverage as well. So the design is better for sure.

I have found that the tough part about aero is getting enough front end downforce to balance out the massive downforce a wing generates. Since we don't have the $$$ for wind tunnel testing what I do to check the aero balance on a car is to take burst photos of a car at the end of a long strait before the braking zone. My favorite spot is at the end of pit lane at Road America it's a level spot and the car is still on the gas at that part of the track - here are some shots that I've taken to check aero balance.

You can see this BMW is running too much rear wing and it's causing the rear end of the car to squat a ton in comparison to the front.

Here you can see the wheel gaps are fairly even front and rear for a better balance.

For fine tuning you can measure the fender gaps and something on the side of the car (in the case of the car above the numbers on the side of the car are 10" tall) this gives you a gauge on how much the suspension is squatting front and rear and you can adjust from there.

Ultimately all this is going to do is make sure you are in the ballpark - but it's better than just guessing
Old 12-04-2017, 10:32 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

You will get more from a vented hood than that tiny little splitter.
Venting the hood gives quite a bit of downforce and gets rid of the C6 lfront lift that these cars are notorious for.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:55 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

i have to agree (vent hood is more DF than ZR splitter)

also you didnt mention if it was for show or track.

if you dont want to go full blown race wing, look at the C7 Z06 replica spoilers that "C7 carbon" and "Innovative Creations" makes

http://www.c7carbon.com/for-0513-c6-...on-fiber-p-672

https://www.innovativeautocreations....erbill-spoiler
Old 12-04-2017, 11:56 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by freaknbigpanda
For a full set (splitter, side skirts, and full length spoiler) of oem carbon fiber pieces it costs about 5k

For a full set of Katech pieces in fiberglass it is about 3.5k

if you go with acs though which is also fiberglass it is only around 1.5k

heres the acs splitter:

http://www.zip-corvette.com/05-13-c6...-splitter.html

what are the downsides of going with this over the katech or oem pieces?
As mentioned, most of the aftermarket copies of GM stuff is car show aero. A true wing or blade style spoiler and a much larger splitter with under tray will make a difference in handling due to increased down force. The C7 carbon stuff and other brands like that are not functional much more than the stock stuff.

A true frame mounted wing (ACS, LG etc) will produce the most down force, but some groups don't allow them so you have to design a NASCAR style blade spoiler. Here is my car with that style and it's based on the rules we have in the Optima series. A frame mounted wing will provide more down force with less drag, but this is what we have to work with.

We also have a much larger splitter on the front that started with the Katech piece as a base and then we made an extension and tray from a composite material with lots of additional braces and brackets. It's all tied into the front frame rails and you can stand on it. It's also fairly easy to warm up and bend back into shape if you smack it on something.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:18 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Here is a pretty interesting video with visual real world examples of how aerodymanics work. This ex F1 engineer explains more with water and a spoon and a pad of paper than a lot of internet experts will ever be able to or even get the actual physics correct.

Regarding the front splitter....if done incorrectly without an under tray, you may actually be making things worse and increasing lift and stagnating the air in your engine compartment causing heat issues.
The following users liked this post:
Andrie (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 02:15 AM
Andrie
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Scalabroni! I used to read his blog post. Very interesting. Haven’t done so in years. Time to revisit.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:06 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Danny Popp

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Aero Options

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 Aero Options